6228 BT65 pickup height

jfassett

Synchromatic
Dec 9, 2017
Tucson
Any 6228 owners with BT65 Broadtron pickups know the correct/recommend pickup height? From the poles or the base of the pickup would be very helpful and save me a lot of time experimenting and fooling around.

Thanks!

Merc

Friend of Fred
May 6, 2017
Florida
Mine are still stock factory height. I’m not sure if they vary for each guitar with BT65. It sounded fine on mine so I left it as is. I’ll measure pickup height tomorrow to give you a starting reference so you can compare with what you’ve got now.

jfassett

Synchromatic
Dec 9, 2017
Tucson
Mine are still stock factory height. I’m not sure if they vary for each guitar with BT65. It sounded fine on mine so I left it as is. I’ll measure pickup height tomorrow to give you a starting reference so you can compare with what you’ve got now.
Thank you so much!

Merc

Friend of Fred
May 6, 2017
Florida
Thank you so much!

Here’s what I just measured from the bottom of the high and low E string to the pickup top between the pole pieces. My pole piece screws all look level. It actually looks to be right around what TV Jones recommended which is what you tried already. So you may just have to run them lower as you are now for taste.

Neck:
3/16” both 1st and 6th

Bridge pickup:
1st- 4.5/32”
6th- 5/32”

I’m not sure about the difference between the stock control circuit of the 5220 and the 6228 (part of the equation). And since we all love seeing Gretsch’s...

A7E0558F-E3B9-4F8B-8D1C-298CA7628501.jpeg

Last edited:

jfassett

Synchromatic
Dec 9, 2017
Tucson
Here’s what I just measured from the bottom of the high and low E string to the pickup top between the pole pieces. My pole piece screws all look level. It actually looks to be right around what TV Jones recommended which is what you tried already. So you may just have to run them lower as you are now for taste.

Neck:
3/16” both 1st and 6th

Bridge pickup:
1st- 4.5/32”
6th- 5/32”

I’m not sure about the difference between the stock control circuit of the 5220 and the 6228 (part of the equation). And since we all love seeing Gretsch’s...

View attachment 129640
Wow! That blue flame job looks amazing! I was going to go with the gold pick up rings and pick guard, however, that will have to wait as I’m having a hard time with the price of a gold pick guard. Definitely going to replace all the pots, particularly, the master volume, it’s inadequate. I think I lucked out with this 5220, it’s a really good piece of wood in the neck feels amazing! In addition to the pick ups, I’ve upgraded The tuners and bridge as well.
Thanks again @Merc for the specs, I dropped my pick ups down just a notch to get rid of some of the grit.

ACL-Gretsch

Gretschie
May 16, 2017
Seattle

Neck:
3/16” both 1st and 6th

Bridge pickup:
1st- 4.5/32”
6th- 5/32”

Mine comes out to the same measurements as yours. (well, actually the 4.5 on your bridge pickup is a little more accurate than I can measure but close :)) PS, love your flamed maple in blue!

GretschShipped-Body-b.jpg

Last edited:

Merc

Friend of Fred
May 6, 2017
Florida
Wow! That blue flame job looks amazing! I was going to go with the gold pick up rings and pick guard, however, that will have to wait as I’m having a hard time with the price of a gold pick guard. Definitely going to replace all the pots, particularly, the master volume, it’s inadequate. I think I lucked out with this 5220, it’s a really good piece of wood in the neck feels amazing! In addition to the pick ups, I’ve upgraded The tuners and bridge as well.
Thanks again @Merc for the specs, I dropped my pick ups down just a notch to get rid of some of the grit.

Thanks and you’re welcome. I expected it to be different than TV Jones recommended so it was interesting to measure.

The 5220 I checked out in a store played sweet, they’re really nice. They sound great stock. I considered buying one as I have to watch the little around the 6228 when it’s out. So I thought about throwing in the BT65’s in if I do. And I’m going to throw gold bezels and the pickguard on it just like you plan too. But I didn’t realize the pickguard was so much. Yours looks fantastic! I really think the metallic Cherry is a future classic color.

Mine comes out to the same measurements as yours. (well, actually the 4.5 on your bridge pickup is a little more accurate than I can measure but close :)) PS, love your flamed maple in blue!

GretschShipped-Body-b.jpg

That Bourbons a real beaut! I was going to go for the Bourbon but the sale on blue was $600 lower. Too good to pass up. I would happily take any 6228 though. :)

Last edited:

jfassett

Synchromatic
Dec 9, 2017
Tucson
And I’m going to throw gold bezels and the pickguard on it just like you plan too. But I didn’t realize the pickguard was so much
Yeah, about $70 bucks for the pick guard, I’m kinda liking the look with no guard right now..

Merc

Friend of Fred
May 6, 2017
Florida
Is the stock 5220 pickguard painted underneath? You might be able to remove the paint and find a close match of gold spray paint. If the Gretsch wording comes off you could maybe do a see through Gretsch decal first before spraying. I think I remember someone doing it with bezels or guard before.

Gregor

Country Gent
Oct 17, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
Is the stock 5220 pickguard painted underneath? You might be able to remove the paint and find a close match of gold spray paint. If the Gretsch wording comes off you could maybe do a see through Gretsch decal first before spraying. I think I remember someone doing it with bezels or guard before.
Yep, the guard is painted from the underside with an under mount decal which will be removed with the paint but spray painting after should work.

radd

Friend of Fred
Dec 27, 2017
Santa Cruz
Thanks for the timely thread. I had not adjusted the pickups yet. I found them to be a lot lower than the specs. They sound even better now at the TV Jones specs.

Oh ya, don’t ya just love being able to adjust the pickups without removing the pickguard on these Player Editions.

why not...A quick pic

544C767D-1ED1-436F-ACFA-B27621F9F4C5.jpeg

Merc

Friend of Fred
May 6, 2017
Florida
Thanks for the timely thread. I had not adjusted the pickups yet. I found them to be a lot lower than the specs. They sound even better now at the TV Jones specs.

Oh ya, don’t ya just love being able to adjust the pickups without removing the pickguard on these Player Editions.

why not...A quick pic

View attachment 129676

Such a rich and classy looking green. I just love Jets!

jfassett

Synchromatic
Dec 9, 2017
Tucson

why not...A quick pic

View attachment 129676
Amazing! Thanks for posting. Did your pickups get distorted at all raising the height?

TSims1

Gretschified
Jun 18, 2013
Atlanta
Y’all are way too scientific for me! Lol!

In every guitar ever, I simply raise and lower pickups(and if able, pole pieces)until my ear is happy. I’ve never followed “specs” or magic numbers.

After all......who plays your guitar? YOU. Who knows what you wanna hear? YOU. How perfect! You are the best at what YOU like! ;)

Latest posts