6122 59 Hall of Fame Orange

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by cqscqs, Sep 8, 2020.

1. cqscqs

cqscqs Gretschie

Dec 8, 2013
    midwest
    Thanks in advance for any perspective. I've got one of the 75 6122-59 HOF's in orange, you can see it in my avatar. I'm (slowly) coming around to the idea that I might sell this, and get a 6120-59. This is based on comfort level in terms of neck scale and bout. this is NOT based on sound, this guitar is the best sounding guitar I've ever had.

I am trying to determine what would be a fair price for it, and would welcome any perspective. If it is still considered in the range of a standard 6122-59, I will hang on to it. If there is a premium, I might look into selling.

It is either 2011 or 2012, the first four numbers in the serial are 1112. Tru Arc bridge with a pro set up. Slight discoloring on the bridge pickup, and the bridge itself where I rest my palm.
    I've never gigged this guitar, and have a good rep on eBay (but would prefer to sell it here, or privately somehow with PayPal). Naturally, I can supply all the pics necessary and links of me playing it as well.

Ideas as to a fair price? Thanks!
    View attachment 146282 IMG_0136.jpeg

Shadowy_Man and nasonm like this.
  2. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Oh,i'd never sell that,it's a beautiful guitar with not many made,and i'm a 6120 nut,but that geet is special.

cqscqs and nasonm like this.
  3. nasonm

nasonm Gretschie

Nov 3, 2010
    New England, USA
    I'll be the first to chime in on value, as I have one myself (obligatory pic below). I wanted one and it took me a long time to find one. Although it IS an amazing instrument, I can see how it's not for everyone.

When I bought mine from Spindrift Guitars in CT years ago, I got it for a song ($1850) but now, with the rarity of it all I would probably price it at $2500 and see where it goes. Could it go for more? Sure. But, I wouldn't go too crazy and expect Chet fans around the world to come running (keeping in mind that's who this model is geared towards).

As a side note, do you have the original misprinted headstock plate? I have it (and the corrected one I got from Joe Carducci).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shadowy_Man, JC higgy and cqscqs like this.
  4. cqscqs

cqscqs Gretschie

Dec 8, 2013
    midwest
    Thanks JC Higgy, I have to admit it would be tough to sell. Very tough. Nasonm, I knew there were misspelled plates, were they all misspelled? When I got this, it was the first thing I looked at, and it was the correct spelling. I'm sure you are right, 2500 or so. It makes sense. Aimed pretty much straight at Chet fans, like me, and you, and that limits the market a bit. That makes it very easy for me. I'm keeping it.

JC higgy likes this.
  5. Scott

Scott Country Gent

Jun 27, 2008
    Winston-Salem, NC
    That said, I wouldn't sell it.

JC higgy and cqscqs like this.
  6. BrianW

BrianW Country Gent

Oct 21, 2014
    Vancouver Island
    I was looking for a Hall of Fame version a bunch of years ago for a specific reason... none to be had at that time (and quite possibly now as well, I haven't looked for quite a while) I ended up buying the standard "walnut" version instead. Pretty difficult to price a guitar that is very rarely seen on the market. Just my opinion but assuming decent condition you may get a little more than $2500 with enough patience in the selling.

And there goes my chance at one :(

cqscqs likes this.
  7. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Mine is an amazing guitar. I can relate, however, to sometimes preferring a shorter scale. With that in mind, there is only about 3.5% difference between a short scale and a long scale. It’s not much difference, and most of it is concentrated on the first few frets.

I would think twice before selling it, and then think at least twice more. You will never own another HOF Gent. For the Chet fan, this is the guitar. It doesn’t get better than this. I spent an hour or so with mine last night. Some plate reverb, a light dusting of very clean delay and plugged into an amp with an early AC-15 circuit. The sound was as good as it gets and it handles a broad spectrum of genres, from convincing Tele leads to convincing Jazz guitar sounds, with the perfect Chet sound always on tap. No plans to part with mine.

cqscqs likes this.
  8. journeyman

journeyman Gretschie

Aug 20, 2009
    Toronto, Ontario
    That's a beauty. If the body width and scale length aren't right for you, selling it to replace it with something else might be the way to go. I had a Black Falcon that was an amazing instrument, but I finally admitted to myself that the longer scale wasn't for me; I am comfortable with the 24 1/2" or 24 3/4" scale lengths and don't regret selling it.

It's sometimes difficult to determine value, but I would try for what you think it's worth, or as much as you need to buy the guitar you want to replace it with, assuming that would be a proline Gretsch. There should be enough Chester fans out there to give you a shot at a good price. Best of luck.

cqscqs likes this.
  9. YaDaddy

YaDaddy Gretschie

Mar 16, 2020
    Marietta, GA
    Sooooo Orangey. I’m really glad I’m relatively poor. It’s bad enough being hooked on the Electromatics. Addiction to this orange pill would put me in the poor house fer sure.

cqscqs likes this.
  10. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Why not just list it at the price you want? If someone bites, you win. If not, you win. You can even state no offers considered.

cqscqs likes this.
  11. latetotheparty

latetotheparty Gretschie

Mar 18, 2018
    Omaha
    You choose to sell, gimme a ring. I’m in.

cqscqs likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.