6120t-59vs or Setzer Smoke?

George Homme

Electromatic
Nov 23, 2021
Greece
Well..I am ready for my second Gretsch. I have already a 6136t-59vs White Falcon and I am gasing for a 6120.

Between the Vintage Select 59 and the Setzer Smoke which one would you get and why to complement the White Falcon?

The bad thing is that I can't try the guitars in my country so I will have to order one online...

Last edited:

diamoroso

Gretschie
Feb 4, 2019
San Diego, CA
They are pretty similar. The key differences to me being that the '59 is .25" thicker body depth, has a zero fret, rocking bar bridge vs TOM, and they have different (yet similar) pickups. So it'll depend on what features you prefer really.

Edit: Locking tuners on the Smoke too, forgot to mention.

Hogman99

Electromatic
Sep 24, 2011
Waterloo, ON, CA
My issue is that Gretsch, pretty much most anything 59, has a V Neck. Don't know about Streamliners or Electros but if I'm spending that kind on cash, I'd rather look at at a 6120 which Gretsch now offers Dyanas in a 6120.

cqscqs

Gretschie
Dec 8, 2013
midwest
Frets to be considered. I think the 59 has 'vintage small' while the Setzer has medium jumbo-- not sure, worth checking and thinking about your preferences. Even as an (attempting to be) Chet type player, I'd take the Smoke. Just me.

Country Member

Electromatic
Aug 20, 2014
Australia
A hard call if you can't actually hold them and try them out- I have tried both, they are top guitars, and also have a 2010 White Falcon DC. I actually like the Setzer Hot Rod as a buddy to the Falcon just to confuse things.

sgarnett

Synchromatic
Apr 14, 2020
Kentucky
The Smoke has a fantastic neck. The V is VERY subtle. The fretboard edges are very nicely rounded. The compound radius is also very nice.

I did put a rocking titanium Serpentune bridge on it, but certainly didn’t need to. Mine came directly from fender’s warehouse in California without passing through a dealer (a pandemic deal), so as far as I know it was exactly how it left the factory in Japan. Both the nut and high-quality TOM bridge were nicely hand-filed.

Gretschzilla

Gretschie
Apr 20, 2021
Saint Paul, MN USA
I have the Smoke. Haven’t played the other. I love my Smoke and will always have it. It is extremely versatile. Plays like a dream.

Good luck and let us know which way you go. Seems like you’ll win no matter what!

radd

Friend of Fred
Dec 27, 2017
Santa Cruz
I had the 59’, great guitar. If I was to buy another 6120, it would be the Smoke. That satin Orange finish alone has me hooked.

Superedubb

Sep 6, 2019
OR
Sorry to bump an older thread.

Is the Smoke or the '59's neck more similar to the Hot Rod?

I have 2 1960s, a Hot Rod, and a DS. I've noticed the Hot Rod's neck feels thicker than the other three.

A '59VS was next on my soon to purchase list ( I was going to have a 6105 refret, switch pickups, tuning pegs, etc., so what it actually comes with isn't a big deal to me ). I don't want a fourth really thin neck. Something similar to the Hot Rod.

I was under the impression the Hot Rod ( and most of Setzer's models ) necks were based off the '59 neck.

Thanks.

TV the Wired Turtle

Gretschified
Jul 25, 2009
Sandy Eggo
Smoke. I have one and it's more appealing to me than any of my vintage 6120s to play (1959 and 1961) and sounds equal to them or better.
wz0a7.jpg

Stefan87

Country Gent
May 20, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
Man i hate these smoke threads, everytime i here a review it makes me want to sell my 6120ssl and buy a smoke but anyway.

For the op, i would say either one would be a good compliment but maybe the smoke for the different pickups.

Latest posts