6120 switch swap

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Parttime, Nov 22, 2019.

1. Parttime

Parttime Gretschie

Dec 6, 2018
    Texas
    Does anyone swap these switch positions so the pick up switch is closer to your playing area?

upload_2019-11-22_8-17-35.png

Does the wiring harness have enough slack to do so?

2. Moleng1

Moleng1 Synchromatic

Jul 5, 2014
    Vancouver, B.C. Canada
    The RHH comes wired that way stock, so you think like a master!!

T Bone, MKunie and Parttime like this.
  3. DaddyDog

DaddyDog Country Gent

Sep 18, 2011
    Mississauga, Canada
    I don't swap on purpose but I've had Gretschs where it's been done. So I would expect the harness has enough slack. I'd be more worried about the tips and techniques to do it. It looks like a surgical procedure.

Parttime likes this.
  4. Moleng1

Moleng1 Synchromatic

Jul 5, 2014
    Vancouver, B.C. Canada
    Easy to do, i just tie a long piece of strong thread to each switch after removing the knob, then remove the nuts, pull the nut off the thread, push the switches into the guitar and fish the thread out to the opposite hole with a hooked piece of wire, put the nuts on while the thread is still attached to the switch (very important so you don't loose the switch while trying to thread the nut back on!). Done!!

Good luck with it if you decide to make the swap!!

5. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

Isn't the Setzer SSLVO (etc.) signature series of 6120s wired that way too? I can confirm my RHH 6120 did come this way.

Parttime likes this.
  6. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

I have a Setzer 2004 6120 SSU and it is also wired like your RHH 6120.

Parttime and T Bone like this.
  7. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I do this on any Gretsch I own. String, or vinyl tubing and you’re good to go.

T Bone and Parttime like this.
  8. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    Im about to attempt this after a couple of years getting confused when i pick up my RHH!
    I was even on the point of selling the guitar….. but it Should be a quick 1/2 hour job that will only take me 3 hours.

audept likes this.
  9. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Getcha some of this, you can find it at Ace Hardware. I wrote out some instructions on the 6120T thread. Take your time and if you experience a setback, take a few minutes away and clear your head. The first time I did this, it was daunting, but once I finished, it seemed like no big deal. Just have some hand towels and washcloths available to protect the finish. https://rapidswholesale.com/rapids-vinyl-tube-clear-1-4-x-1-2.html?msclkid=6e90a701abb41124e30dc7f60c7bb2f0&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=(ROI)%20Shopping%20-%20100-250%20AOV%20Tier&utm_term=4580015689166829&utm_content=100-250%20AOV%20Tier

mbkri likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.