6120 String Gauge preferences please..

Discussion in 'Guitar & Gear Reviews' started by slickfaster, Nov 20, 2019.

1. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I like them better than the standard NYXL 10-46 which I was previously using. The gauges are slightly different to the standard 10-46. They also make the Balanced Tension versions in some other gauges (9-42 and 1 other I believe) Have a look on the D'Addario website for full data on the BT sets

G5422T likes this.
  2. JohnLKir

JohnLKir Electromatic

May 15, 2018
    Northwest Arkansas
    If you’re in an adventurous mood, try some flat wounds.

3. slickfaster

slickfaster Country Gent

Dec 29, 2009
    USA
    Daddario 10’s nickel since 2000. I usually get the 3 sets per box pack but when on sale the big box! Tried 11s on my Club... big sound but couldn’t get 3rd n 4th finger accent bends in my chords n riffs.
    I really like the shred factor with 10’s on my shorter scale 6120. Might be offing my 03 Cad Green CC for another 6120. Any horse traders out there!

4. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    I feel most comfortable with 10s, and I have them on my semi-hollow 5620. But I prefer 11s on my fully hollow G3900. The thicker strings move the top better and coax more acoustic tone and resonance out of the guitar. Both guitars have the same 24.6" scale.

5. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    CC longer scale length than 6120? If so, 10s will be even slinkier.

6. slickfaster

slickfaster Country Gent

Dec 29, 2009
    USA
    Yep it’s very noticeable..

7. Trojan52

Trojan52 Newbie

Jan 11, 2020
    Oxford
    What string gauges come as standard on a new G5120 electromatic please?
    Thanks

8. shrews824

shrews824 Country Gent

Feb 22, 2016
    Hardinsburg, Kentucky
    I have just recently gotten back to playing my Gretsch 6120 on a daily basis and I'm going to have to try a new string gauge as well. I've been using D'Addario EXL115W with the wound G (.21) and have always had trouble bending with it. I put a set of 10-46's on it and it played too slinky for me. I guess I'll try a set of 11-48 with a plain G and see how it works.

9. Alanqa

Alanqa Gretschie

Aug 22, 2019
    Lancashire UK
    Rick Beato has done a very interesting video on YouTube about string gauges. Comparing 8s up to 11s. Ultimately there was not much noticeable difference in volume but the tone got brighter with the smaller gauges. I am going to try some 9s on my Falcon and Jet . I play more classic rock than rockabilly so my requirements may be different to a lot of people here.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
  10. pete12string

pete12string Electromatic

Aug 7, 2021
    New Jersey
    Kind of an older thread but was wondering about changing gauges. Do you find the truss rod needs a tweaking when going to a different gauge like from .011 to.010?

11. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Yes - a guitar is a system of various pieces pulling against each other (wood, strings, truss rod, etc.) so changing one will affect the others.

However, if you don't care about those changes, then you can leave the truss rod alone.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.