6120 body width

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Reddevil66, Sep 16, 2020.

1. Reddevil66

Reddevil66 Newbie

Sep 16, 2020
    Manchester UK
    Hi everyone I'm new to the forum and although I don't actually own a Gretsch yet .. I'm in the market to purchase my first model very soon but with such a wide range of models available.. I want to make sure that I arrive at the right choice for me...my local store stocks a few Electromatics which I have tried and they feel comfortable to play.. But I'm probably going to set my sights a bit higher and go for a Japanese model 6120.. Or a Tennessee Rose.. Or even a Gretsch G6120TFM-BSNV Brian Setzer Signature Bigsby Orange Stain..
    My main question is.. are all 6120 body widths the same across the range? Looking at the Setzer on YouTube it looks quite a big instrument.. Its hard to judge as some of the guys doing the demo could be of smaller stature.. I used to have a wide bodied jazz guitar.. a Peerless monarch and I found it uncomfortable after a while as my arm would get a bit of cramp with it being under the armpit in a seated position . Also if I go for the Setzer.. I'm not keen on the dice volume controls.. Are vintage correct regular controls readily available and easy to swap over?? Thanks in advance

section2 likes this.
  2. jarrodtaylor

jarrodtaylor Gretschie

Mar 14, 2019
    Delray Beach, FL
    Unless it's a junior model (if so, it'll say so in the model name), 6120's have 16 inch bodies. Some have different depths, ranging from 2.25 to 2.75 inches.

The Setzer models should come with both the regular and dice knobs.

For comparison, IIRC the Peerless Monarch is a 17 inch body, like a Gretsch Falcon. The 6120 juniors, if you can find them, are 14 inches, I think, which is closer to a Jet or a Broadkaster model.

section2 and Reddevil66 like this.
  3. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Welcome to the nut house Reddevil!:)

Ya can't go wrong with a 6120 .

Reddevil66 likes this.
  4. Stefan87

Stefan87 Synchromatic

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Welcome to the forum reddevil, if your local shop has a 5420 electromatic then give that a try as im sure they are 2.75 inches deep by 16in wide on the lower bout, that is the biggest width you will find in a 6120, if they have a 5410 rat rod then they are the same size as the players edition 6110 so of you try those two it will give you an idea of how comfortable you find the body sizes.

As Jarrod said the setzer models come with standard control knobs, i had the dice on mine for awhile but then got a bit over it, nothing against them thats just not my style really, changed the knobs and love it so much more.

20200419_122200.jpg

G5422T, JC higgy, new6659 and 3 others like this.
  5. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    My 6120 is 2.75”
    I believe that’s the standard.
    I think the “Player’s Edition” models are only 2.5”

When it comes to Gretschs, bigger is better :D

pmac11 and Reddevil66 like this.
  6. CaliforniaSlim

CaliforniaSlim Gretschie

Jul 21, 2016
    My Setzer HotRod is 2.5. A little thinner than the standard 6120. That may be the way to go. Great guitar and fewer dumb knobs.

7. SAguitar

SAguitar Gretschie

Jan 17, 2020
    Oregon
    Brian Setzer's guitars look large because he is not. The man is huge on talent, but not in stature. :)
    I kinda thought the same thing, but then I bought a 6120 and it was not a really big guitar.

8. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Welcome! I see our friendly experts and capable GAS-enablers are already hard at work. :)

This is a great forum, I think you'll like it here.

Reddevil66 likes this.
  9. journeyman

journeyman Gretschie

Aug 20, 2009
    Toronto, Ontario
    All 6120s, except for the 6120 Jr., are 16" across the lower bout.

Reddevil66 likes this.
  10. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Welcome!

The two dimensions you need to think about are the lower bout width and the depth. I'm a little guy (5'7"), so the 6120 feels uncomfortable to me—but I'm perfectly comfortable with my 5620, which is just as wide as a 6120 but an inch shallower.

There are lots of different depths: the typical 6120 is 2.75" deep, but Gretsch also makes 16" hollow bodies in 2.5 and 2.25" depths, and there are semi-hollows that are only 1.75" deep. In the professional series, the Tennessee Rose, the Player's Editions, and some (all?) of the Hot Rods are thinner than 2.75".

Gretsch also makes some junior-sized semi-hollows at all price points. They have full 24.6" scale lengths, but smaller bodies. The pro line has the Broadkaster Jr; the Electromatic line has the 5655TG; and the budget Streamliner series has the 2655. I had a chance to try out a Broadkaster Jr a couple of years ago, and it was extremely comfortable.

Gretsch used to make fully hollow juniors too, but they discontinued them back in the 2000s. The pro line had the 6120 Jr and the 6118 Jr. They're not terribly common, but they pop up on Reverb fairly regularly.

At a lower price point, it's sometimes possible to find an old G3900 Synchromatic Jr. I have one from 1999. I believe it's 15" x 3", and I find it very comfortable. The electronics aren't spectacular, but those can easily be upgraded, and it's a nice guitar.

Reddevil66 likes this.
  11. Wjensen

Wjensen Gretschie

May 25, 2019
    Raleigh, NC
    Welcome to the forum Reddevil. Others are more qualified to tell you about the 6120 models, but I can tell you that Gretsches are great guitars.

Reddevil66 likes this.
  12. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, Reddevil66!
    vintage_grunge_uk_flag_union_jack_doormat.jpg

Reddevil66 likes this.
  13. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Synchromatic

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Welcome to the forum.
    Good luck in your quest for a Gretsch.

Reddevil66 likes this.
  14. Reddevil66

Reddevil66 Newbie

Sep 16, 2020
    Manchester UK
    Thank you for all the replies and information . Some very knowledgeable people on this forum
    I'm definitely leaning towards the Setzer 6120

15. sgarnett

sgarnett Gretschie

Apr 14, 2020
    Kentucky
    My Setzer 6120 Smoke is 2.5”.

I think the PEs are 2.25”, like the Rat Rods but with different bracing.

calebaaron666 likes this.
  16. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    So they are!
    Thanx.
    The vintage select 6120 ‘59 model is 2.75” so I figured all the 6120’s based on that year would be.
    My mistake.

17. jarrodtaylor

jarrodtaylor Gretschie

Mar 14, 2019
    Delray Beach, FL
    The flame maple model @Reddevil66 mentioned is 2.75 and I think the black model is as well. The Smoke model is a special one.

I’m looking forward to comparing the flame maple Setzer to the Smoke. I always like the flamed orange look.

Reddevil66 likes this.
  18. BCRatRod73

BCRatRod73 Electromatic

Sep 1, 2020
    Mississippi
    I’m 6’-6” and my 5410T Rat Rod keeps the proportions balanced.

SAguitar likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.