Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Mark 6120, Dec 3, 2020.

1. Mark 6120

Mark 6120 Electromatic

Nov 5, 2020
    DFW
    My vintage guitar is a Tennessean. The newer 6119's are called Tennessee Rose, even the more recent ones with the Chet Atkins signature. Sid Gibson get to keep the Tennessean name?

Also, did any original Tennesseans come with Filtertrons? Mine has Hi-Lo Trons, and those are the pickups I see in pictures from back then.

2. Duo Slinger

Duo Slinger Gretschie

Sep 11, 2020
    California, USA
    I think Tennesseans originally had one filtertron, in 1959.

3. Groutsch

Groutsch Gretschie

Jun 9, 2018
    Maryland, US
    My go-to site for Gretsch model history is The Gretsch Pages. The site's coding is kind of wonky but it has lots of info.

I don't know about the Tennesseean name specifically, but it's possible that Gretsch chose to change the name because a reference to geographic origin, such as Tennesseean, may not be a protectable trademark, so it might be used by any guitar maker in Nashville or Memphis or thereabouts. The name Tennessee Rose is a stronger trademark, legally.

4. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    I love the Tennessee Rose .... the HT is on my bucket list

5. GAMBLER1234

GAMBLER1234 Gretschie

Jan 18, 2018
    Henderson Nevada
    Actually I never thought I'd own a Gretsch but the day I played this one I laid my money down.:)

[​IMG]

6. Scott

Scott Country Gent

Jun 27, 2008
    Winston-Salem, NC
    When Gretsch reissued the model back in the early 90s, they couldn't use the Tennessean name because Gibson was still using it. so they have stayed with the Tennessee Rose name ever since.

The Tennessean first debuted in 1958 with a single Filtertron. Then around late 1961/early 1962 the company premiered the Electrotone body with two Hilotron pickups.

7. Wayne Gretschzky

Wayne Gretschzky Country Gent

Aug 27, 2008
    East Coast
    Take the history info on The Gretsch Pages with a grain of salt. Lots of info there... but some of it is incorrect.

Scott and Groutsch like this.
  8. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    I used to own a 1961 single-Filtertron single-cut 6119 and I still own a 2007 Tennesse Rose. Fantastic guitars. The 6119 models made after 1961 had double Hilos and the slimmer-double-cut body.

9. SandChannel

SandChannel Electromatic

Jun 9, 2020
    Boggo Road
    Is the Rose essentially a Country Gentleman without the muting system?

10. Groutsch

Groutsch Gretschie

Jun 9, 2018
    Maryland, US
    The Tennessee Rose does not have gold plating, and the body is 16" wide instead of 17". Traditonally the best pickups (Filter'Trons) were reserved for the Gent. The differences vary from model to model but Gretsch intended the Country Gentleman to be on a higher level than the Tennesseean.

Scott and SandChannel like this.
  11. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    The first, were a single pickup, 16" single cutaway with a 2.75" deep body, and was basically placed between the Anniversary Model and the 6120. After '61, they were a 16" single-cutaway, but only 2.25" deep, with a closed top and HiLotron pickups. This is what George Harrison used. In the modern era, the Tennessee Rose name has been used on a variety of 16", single cutaway guitars.

SandChannel likes this.
  12. SandChannel

SandChannel Electromatic

Jun 9, 2020
    Boggo Road
    Got it. So the current Vintage Select 62 is kinda like the Harrison model but with a shallower depth. I'm guessing it is also a 16" but I don't see it straight away in the specs.

13. Groutsch

Groutsch Gretschie

Jun 9, 2018
    Maryland, US
    I tried in vain to look that up too, but you can see by the recommended case that the body is 16" wide.

SandChannel likes this.
  14. Gregor

Gregor Synchromatic

Oct 17, 2018
    New Brunswick, Canada
    I can see why. Very nice!

section2 likes this.
  15. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    The Vintage Select is as close as you can get to the Harrison Tennessean . I think that the depth is the same.

SandChannel likes this.
  16. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    BTW, I have one, although I swapped the HiLos for Supertrons. It's a great guitar.
    [

section2 and SandChannel like this.
  17. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    I'm a 6119 fan too, have one and will never be sold, great guitars and un my opinion very underrated amongst the prolines.

section2 likes this.
  18. jdr1014

jdr1014 Synchromatic

Apr 16, 2009
    Orrington, Maine
    When I was considering buying a Proline I came across your photo above......

It prompted me to look into the 6119 Tennessee Rose and I bought one exactly like it. Love the TR, with its unique color and set of features among the Prolines including longer scale length and thinner body.

Groutsch and section2 like this.
  19. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I think the Gents tend to have wider bodies.

SandChannel likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.