5F1 12" build

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Outlaw, Jun 22, 2021.

1. Outlaw

Outlaw Country Gent

Jul 13, 2011
    UK
    Won this little lot on ebay, someone's abandoned project. its a 5f1 cab that's been built to accommodate a 12" speaker.
    Included with it are a turret board, all caps and Resistors, set of valves/tubes, sockets and light.
    It arrived today and everything looks to be of good quality, the cab is made from pine which looks like it's reclaimed timber (fine by me) dovetail joints and birch ply baffle and rear panals, all in all a well made cab. IMG_20210622_132049_edit_10860026487404.jpg
    Got all this for a bargain price

I've ordered some parts like the chassis and other misc bits, already have a classic tone output tranny (15w).
    So I still need a mains tranny, speaker and tweed covering.
    I've wanted to build my own amp for a long time and now it's actually happening - HOORAY!!
    IMG_20210622_124932_edit_9290301737123.jpg

For the speaker I'm leaning towards an Eminence 1258 as I'm sure that's what is used in the Victoria 5112.
    But if any of you guys have some suggestions please let me know.
    IMG_20210622_124942_edit_9318888929306.jpg IMG_20210622_131526_edit_10541330648911.jpg

pmac11, Archtops, J Bird and 12 others like this.
  2. RRGuitarCo

RRGuitarCo Electromatic

May 23, 2021
    San Diego CA
    Weber makes some Alnico speakers that are reproductions of the original alnico speakers of the 50's tweed amps. They make a nice Signature Alnico for under $100 and they make a really kick ass alnico upgrade for just over $120. Both sound really good.
    I built a 5F1 for a client a few months back and he brought me a Celestion alnico creamback, probably the best sounding champ I've ever heard.
    Anywho, best of luck with the build. It should provide hours of entertainment.
    If you don't already, get or make a snuffer stick for draining those filter caps. It'll be useful once it's put together and you need to troubleshoot or change something later.

3. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Enjoy the build , looks like a fun project

oneforsorrow and Outlaw like this.
  4. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    looks like a fun project. Are you planning to cover it with tolex or stain it natural wood finish?

How is the speaker baffle mounted, it is attached at only the four corners and easily removable for covering with the grill cloth, or will you add a separate frame for the grill cloth? Will you mount the speaker from the front or the back? Sorry for all the questions, I am planning to make a cabinet and trying to get some ideas. I think those are finger joints, dovetails are typically tapered on one side.

Outlaw likes this.
  5. Floo

Floo Country Gent

Dec 16, 2012
    Elmshorn, Germany
    That is looking really good. Accept a piece of advice from someone who's been there: the baffle may need some dark (even black) stain, otherwise it may shine through the grille cloth which looks a bit odd with the dark speaker.

Archtops and Outlaw like this.
  6. Outlaw

Outlaw Country Gent

Jul 13, 2011
    UK
    I am covering it with tweed cloth like the original champ.
    The baffle is attached with a screw in each corner and the speaker will be fixed from the back of the baffle.

GlenP likes this.
  7. Outlaw

Outlaw Country Gent

Jul 13, 2011
    UK
    Yes I like weber alnico speakers a lot, the trouble is that they are hard to get here in the UK.
    Don't know much about the Celestion creamback but I'll do some research.
    Is it an American sounding speaker?

8. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    I have a Creamback 1 x12 cab.
    No it's Celestions ceramic speaker designed to sound like an alnico blue or greenback.
    It does and it's also much cheaper than alnico's.
    Excellent all round speaker imo - delivers Vox AC chime/jangle if you match it with an AC amp

pmac11, GlenP and Outlaw like this.
  9. Outlaw

Outlaw Country Gent

Jul 13, 2011
    UK
    So it's more Vox than Fender?
    I'm really looking for more of a Fender voiced speaker, even considered a Jensen p12q RI but it gets some very mixed reviews and opinions out there.
    Would love to hear what some of you guys think of it.

10. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    I have a P12R and a C12Q both Jensen RI. I never could use them : bass-less, scooped, piercing tone, even after run-in... Too bad we are not neighbours ! ;)

IMHO, those RI Jensen speakers are suitable for amps that have no tone-control, typically old 40s-50s lap steel amps like those made by Valco.

These amps have a bassy-middy, subdued to dark highs tone, and then the peculiar response of the Jensen RI can suitably compensate that "old sound".

Your 5F1 may enter in this "old sound" category, and so the sonic result with P12Q would be convincing, unlike on my Fender DR where I tested my P12R and C12Q.

But it's me, OK ? :D

A+!

Outlaw likes this.
  11. Outlaw

Outlaw Country Gent

Jul 13, 2011
    UK
    Thanks for that!
    I am now thinking weber 12A125A
    as I already have the 10" version in another amp and love the tone from that thing.
    Just looked on the weber Web site and the 12A125A costs $120.00 but I don't know shipping cost yet.
    I'm in no rush to get the speaker so I'll keep researching the options available.
    The Eminence 1258 still looks good as it's easy to get in the UK and a nice price too.
    Thoughts on the 1258 welcome.

12. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Personally, I discard Weber speakers : I don't like too much people who doesn't publish the specs of their speakers, as if they have something to hide...

But it's me, OK ? :D

A+!

pmac11 and Waxhead like this.
  13. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Yes a touch more Vox but it's a great all rounder too.

I got it to match with my Mesa TA-15 head.
    TA-15 is super versatile and has 2 Vox AC voices, a Fender Tweed voice, plus Marshall and Mesa overdrive voices.

Initially I had it matched with a 2 x 12 cab with V30s.
    Was good but didn't give much of the Vox jangle/chime.

So l researched for a speaker that would give the Vox jangle/chime of an alnico but still be great for the Fender, Marshall, Boogie tones tones. I also needed a speaker over 25w and 8 ohm.

Finally decided to give 65w Creamback (made in UK) a go.
    When researching I didn't come across any - ve reviews.
    Turned out great as it delivers most of the Vox jangle/chime of an alnico, plus is equally great for all the other varied voices.

I've also run the Creamback 1x12 with my Mesa B Mark V 25.
    That amp has no Vox AC/Marshall voices but a huge range of Fendery/Mesa Boogie tones.
    Creamback is excellent with the Mark V too :)

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
    Outlaw likes this.
  14. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Me too - I didn't buy Weber for same reason :)

hcsterg likes this.
  15. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    I've had nothing but good luck with Weber speakers of many flavors.

Years back, for low power Fenders like yours, I liked the Weber version of the P12R (12A100).

The interaction of the low power/low cleans of the amp and the low power speaker were just perfect to my ears.

Pushed hard, it will fart, and the 12A100A was better pushed, as was a 12A150A.

That said, the cleans just didn't sound and feel as "delicate" to me with these compared to the 12A100.

Just depends on what you want to do with this amp, and the voicing wanted.

Don't overlook a 10" either. Personally, I've had more fun and great tone out of a 10" speaker with a 10 watt or less amp.

A huge part of an amps vibe is the speaker/power interaction.

Best of luck. You'll have a blast.

Outlaw likes this.
  16. Outlaw

Outlaw Country Gent

Jul 13, 2011
    UK
    Thanks for the info.
    A clean sound is more important to me than break up, when it comes to tone Chet had it about right, not that I can play anything like him but that tone he got....... Beautiful!

If I can find a Weber in the UK, I'm interested.
    If not its looking like a Jensen P12q RI, listening to demo's on you tube they sound pretty good.
    Or an Eminence 1258, again these sound really nice. Found this on you tube,

G5422T likes this.
  17. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa

You bet.

Just remember you're dealing with a "tweed" circuit and a low power one to boot.

There's very little "clean" to begin with, and at a pretty low volume level.

Happy hunting!

Outlaw likes this.
  18. Outlaw

Outlaw Country Gent

Jul 13, 2011
    UK
    Handle fitted using Tnuts/bolts and baffle painted black with oxblood grille clothe fitted which is definitely a weak part of this project for me but it's gone on OK and it's nice and tight with good enough straight lines. IMG_20210624_174843_edit_139380122646961.jpg

Archtops, new6659, Henry and 2 others like this.
  19. Outlaw

Outlaw Country Gent

Jul 13, 2011
    UK
    I am now up to having all caps and Resistors soldered on to the turret board and have fitted output tyranny and valve sockets to chassis, power transformer arriving tomorrow so all being well should have this Champ up and running soon(ish) !
    Probably going to go with a tweed finish, but struggling to find UK supplier, anyone know where I can get some? I think I only need a couple of yards for this cab.

IMG_20210704_094444.jpg

Last edited: Jul 4, 2021
    new6659, Archtops and G5422T like this.
  20. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    A quick search gave me this :

https://www.allparts.uk.com/collections/mojotone/tweed-and-tolex

They have the coveted Carolina Blue Tolex, but it seems they sell it for an eye at 30£...

My Tolex/Grillcloth supplier is from Germany :

https://www.tube-town.net/ttstore/components-10662/tolex-grillcloth/

They are less costy for the same products IMHO, but over the Channel...

A+!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.