5622T won't stay in tune

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by bruceville, Apr 12, 2021.

1. bruceville

bruceville Electromatic

Dec 20, 2019
    Ventura, CA
    Hi-

Having a difficult time keeping my 5622T in tune. not using Bixby, but after playing 1-2 songs it gets pretty wildly out of tune. Is this just a characteristic of semi-hollow? Using 10's on them, would heavier strings work? any advice appreciated, thanks!

2. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    Most tuning problems are caused at the nut.. Strings binding etc.
    Make sure the nut looks like it’s cut correctly.
    I’ve always used 11’s on my Gretsch guitars.
    When you restring make sure the new strings are stretched well.
    Lube the nut slots & bridge saddles with a good lube such as Big bends Nut Sauce or similar.
    Should help.. Works for me & I’m a heavy Bigsby user ;) Good luck...

3. Gregor

Gregor Synchromatic

Oct 17, 2018
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Oh nuts!!! If you search for "tuning" on here, you should get a lot of suggestions, the first being the nut. Most tuning problems are with the nut possibly followed by the bridge. Hopefully you've given the strings time to stretch. The guage shouldn't really matter. If you're not easy with doing your own setup, try to find a good luthier or tech. Good luck.

edit: Looks like Nigel and I were typing at the same time but a repeat doesn't hurt.

Waxhead and Trash Kidd like this.
  4. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
    Not using the Biggs your tuning stability with stretched strings should be dead on.

With the Biggs using a minimum locking string wrap and a well dressed nut your stability should also be good.

tuning culprits:
    Poorly dressed nut
    Poor string wrap, to many wraps, not a locking string wrap
    New unstretched strings

Far less common:
    Loose or faulty tuning machines
    Strings hanging up on the bridge

michelb and Gregor like this.
  5. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Gretschie

Jan 11, 2019
    Wokingham
    My G5622T was the same. As above it was the nut. Not just a matter of cutting the slots a bit more (they were too shallow, making it go sharp on the lower frets) but also taking material off the TOP of the nut, so that the strings aren't buried deep in the slots. Mine sit half in/half out and no more issues with tuning since.

I don't need any nut sauce either, but I do have a proper set of nut files. The top sanding you can do yourself though with only basic sandpaper, no special tools required, though sorting the slots out as well is part of the cure. I opened out the tuner side of the slots like a funnel so there is minimal friction on the string.

I did buy a roller bridge, but like you I don't use the Trem so I took it off and the tuning is still as stable. I use Ernie Ball 10s on mine FWIW too.

Gregor likes this.
  6. Outlaw

Outlaw Country Gent

Jul 13, 2011
    UK
    Consider using a tusq XL nut and swapping out the bridge to something like a Compton or tru-arc.

Works for me and I like my bigsby's.

michelb likes this.
  7. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    In the mean time, while you're figuring out a solution, use your Bigsby to reset tuning. Lubricate your nut slots and bridge slots with a tiny bit of triflo or other thin oil. Tune to pitch in only one direction (IE - don't go past correct pitch and then back), then depress that bigsby arm twice and retune in only one direction. I sometimes do this two or three times.

As you use the guitar, depress the Bigsby from time to time. This allows strings to reseat in the nut and at the bridge after building up tension on either side. You'll find that it returns to pitch fairly well when you depress the bigsby a couple of times.

8. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    @bruceville,

Previous posters have already said it all, with good basic suggestions from member @radd. ;)

I'll add another one, described on the picture below, that I used on my G5622TLH with success for tuning stability :

[​IMG]

The Ball Bearing front roller for B7 or B70, along with the Super Squishy Spring, are available at https://bricksbiggsfix.com/ (our member @Setzerhotrod , if I'm correct). I use them on nearly all my guitars... :eek::cool:

As recommended by @Trash Kidd : the nut is often the culprit, and detuning even occurs on the slightest bends... I changed mine for a TUSQ-XL PQL-6060-L0 (PQ-6060-L0 IIRC in RH) :

[​IMG]

Also a possible cause of binding and detune can be the bridge. I use a roller one (Göldo HW-05C, available at thomann.de) :

[​IMG]

Alternatives would be Compton and Tru-Arc bridges, highly regarded on G-T... :)

A goog thing is to "clamp" your string when you mount them on the tuning posts, in order to lock them :

[​IMG]

Some players prefer locking tuners, but if you clamp your strings, classic tuners will work fine (above).

Nearly all my guitars have tremolos, TUSQ-XL nuts, Roller/Tru-Arc/RBB bridges, and no locking tuners. My strings are 10-52. No detuning, no offset tuning, and I am a constant user of the tremolo ! ;)

All this to say that indeed, I join other members advices : your tuning issues can be solved satisfactorily. :cool:

A+!

Waxhead, Gregor and Trash Kidd like this.
  9. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    We see threads same as yours once every few months.
    Always the same story - poor, or lack of, proper set-up by retailer before you rec'd it.
    Most likely the nut sloting has groves that catch the strings and pull them out of tune.

Trash Kid, and others, have given good advice on what to do now to fix.
    You should take it to a good guitar tech to do it and pay $50.

Take home lesson is never accept a guitar unless it's been given a pro set-up by the retailer first :)
    I have a 5422 and it, plus all Gretsch, operate perfectly once set up right.

10. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    yes to this 100% and yes to shimming your roller bar bigsby as HCSterg has suggested.. but I'm not a fan of roller bridges, no matter how well constructed, your string is decoupled from the instrument exponentially more than an ABR-1. I do own one though... :) ONE

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
    Waxhead likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.