5622T "upgrade"

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by TobyB, Nov 22, 2021.

1. TobyB

TobyB Newbie

Nov 22, 2021
    UK
    I have had a MIK 5622t which has been "OK" but never sparkled, and wasn't easy to keep in tune despite rarely using the vibrato ... just knock it and all messed up again ... and tuners spindly and not smooth in rotations.
    Not one for mod'ing guitars just for the sake of it ... but whilst lubricating nut and saddles and strings under tension bar ... I noticed the stock TOM bridge rocking back and forth on its pegs.
    Did a lot of reading around ... and found all sorts of opinions and ideas ...

Decided to replace tuners with trusty Schaller M6 135's ... and the bridge ... in the end went for an ABM 2400C rocker.

I know there's a lot of enthusiasm for solid bar bridges - but not easily found one in the UK ... and some dismiss rollers as non-functional and/or "tone-sucking" due to rattling around. Interesting that the new Richard Fortus pro-model has a roller bridge. Maybe older, cheaper designs weren't well made or very good? Well, the ABM certainly doesn't rattle ... lovely bit of engineering machined to very high precision apparently. And on thicker posts with grub-screw stabilising ... it fits nicely and intonation setting a breeze. And ... just-in-case ... put a String Butler on the headstock to keep everything nice and straight.

Tuning up, the Schallers are as you'd expect - all unremarkably effective. The Bigsby now moves smoothly and the tuning stays stable - the bridge doesn't rock, and whether the strings are rolling or sliding un the saddles doesn't matter to me ... but they don't seem to be binding at the nut or saddles now. More striking, is the sustain has improved massively, the volume and tone of the unamplified acoustic instrument is markedly richer and more resonant ... which I am putting down to the bridge size, weight and precision build.

Transformative ... for £175! Good guitar now ...

2. dmunson

dmunson Gretschie

Dec 19, 2015
    Charlotte, NC
    My 2013 came with Grovers and Super HiLoTrons. So, no upgrade needed. And it's one of my best for tuning stability.

3. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Welcome to the forum! Glad to hear you're happy with the upgrades. We'd love to see pics.

If you're still having tuning problems, you might consider adding a Brick's BiggsFix to the Bigsby. It's a brilliant device that was invented by our fellow forum member @Setzerhotrod.

4. TobyB

TobyB Newbie

Nov 22, 2021
    UK
    Beautifully engineered bridge (elegant brass too) giving a solid and stable footing and apparently much-improved transmission of vibrations. Nice straight string course through the nut and across the bridge. I thought about the BiggsFix, but with the roll-bar being more than 8 cms from the bridge, which as a TOM-design is no more than 2cms above the top, the angle is low for the Bigsby to be fine as it is.

20211123_122831.jpg
    20211123_124149.jpg 20211123_122751.jpg 20211123_122805.jpg

Attached Files:

Floo likes this.
  5. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Country Gent

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Hello TobyB and welcome to GT, it's nice to have you join us.

Glad you found the mods for your G5622T. Always good to make a guitar the way you want it.

6. Floo

Floo Country Gent

Dec 16, 2012
    Elmshorn, Germany
    Welcome to G-T, @TobyB - you did it right with the second post: we love to see pic here (and No.1 rule is "pics or it didn't happen").
    It's good to know you're happy with your guitar now, that's what it's all about. Enjoy it ingood health!

7. AllenK

AllenK Gretschie

Glad to hear you are happy with your 5622. Your experience of the ABM-2400 matches mine. I too made that mod to my 5622.

8. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Welcome to GT Toby!

9. felix277

felix277 Electromatic

Nov 10, 2021
    Germany
    Welcome! Nice mods on your guitar

10. Setzerhotrod

Setzerhotrod Country Gent

Oct 26, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    949D2E07-ADD5-4A4D-9516-C5579A1C7EB5.jpeg Here is another thing I’ve been working on…..

Individual rollers don’t transfer hang ups from string to string through a solid roller. Helps narrowing down where the problem is coming from.
    In this example they are installed on a B30 equipped guitar using stud adapters that attach a Biggsfix to the existing hard tails holes.

section2 and new6659 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.