5622 with Bigs replacement bridge

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by RomanSteve, Mar 1, 2021.

Tags:
  1. RomanSteve

RomanSteve Electromatic

Feb 27, 2021
    USA
    About to take my 5622 for first set up and possible mods. Can anyone recommend a worthy roller-bridge or "tone-bar" that would fit without having to perform major surgery? I'm presuming the factory bridge on these are standard. . . any help would be great. Cheers!

IMG_8565.jpg

2. AllenK

AllenK Gretschie

Nice guitar. I put an ABM 2400 roller on mine. Very pleased with it. Dropped straight on. Noticed a tighter and more defined base sound.

For some reason, Gretsch made this model with a 320 mm radius neck. A standard 12" is 305 mm. You might have to get a custom made bar bridge if you wanted one of those as the standard Tru-Arcs and Comptons are 12" (or 9.5").

Viking Power likes this.
  3. Viking Power

Viking Power Gretschie

Jun 11, 2018
    Mountlake Terrace, WA
    Nice color!

I put an All Parts roller on mine (well, actually had the tech put it on). I only had it back a few days before I had to take it in for a completely unrelated issue but, in the time I had it, the roller bridge seemed nice. I like the idea of the strings gliding across rollers rather than being chopped at by blades like they are with the stock bridge.

4. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, RomanSteve!
    welcome mat 110.jpg

5. RomanSteve

RomanSteve Electromatic

Feb 27, 2021
    USA
    Thanks for getting back. I knew this wouldn't be straight forward. It's the Apple Syndrome: nothing standard. Oh well, the roller bridge it is then. I found a TonePros roller for ninety bucks, but I'm finding it hard to get the spec/size. They look like they would fit - small posts etc. - I'll keep digging.

6. RomanSteve

RomanSteve Electromatic

Feb 27, 2021
    USA
    I've got a couple of Bigs rattles / overtones but I'm hoping a good once over from my tech guy will fix that. I bought the guitar for a specific recording project - hopefully it'll do one thing really well - I'm putting flat wounds on it (11's) so between those and a roller bridge, I should be good to go for a smooth whammy experience.

7. RomanSteve

RomanSteve Electromatic

Feb 27, 2021
    USA
    audept likes this.
  8. Lister

Lister Electromatic

Oct 25, 2019
    Omaha
    I initially dropped an ABM 2400 on my 5622 as well
    [​IMG]

That bridge is now on my 6119 and the 5622 is sporting an Allparts Wilkinson-type roller. Unfortunately, the Allparts wasn't a drop-in like the ABM, and the Allparts website left a lot to be desired with giving exact dimensions. I like it now, but I wound up having to open up the post slots to make it work. Hindsight being 20/20, it may have been more $$$, but way less hassle just ordering another ABM.
    Allparts installed but not yet intonated:
    [​IMG]

9. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Country Gent

May 14, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    As others have said, double-check the dimensions if you go with Tonepros; there are couple to choose from but I had to send one back because I didn't pay enough attention and it wasn't compatible with the stock posts. It did include new threaded inserts for the larger post diameter but there was no way to install it given the tools that I have without risking finish damage, so I have the stock bridge back on ATM.

10. FiveAces

FiveAces Gretschie

Mar 1, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    I went with a Wilkinson roller bridge on my 5120. Its on a floating bridge so there is absolutely no intonation restrictions! Totally satisfied with its performance! 20200605_132505.jpg

new6659 likes this.
  11. FiveAces

FiveAces Gretschie

Mar 1, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    Also used it on my 5435T Electromatic Pro Jet with equally positive performance + a BiggsFix roller.
    20200917_100644.jpg

new6659 likes this.
  12. RomanSteve

RomanSteve Electromatic

Feb 27, 2021
    USA
    Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it. Tough finding an ABM 2400 this side of the Atlantic, but between an ABM and a TonePros I'll hopefully set. Have you felt the need to mod the Bigsby at all? Soft spring?

13. RomanSteve

RomanSteve Electromatic

Feb 27, 2021
    USA
    I'm looking at an ABM 2400C is this the model you bought for the 5622? Would be a big help, ordering from Germany.
    Thanks!!

14. RomanSteve

RomanSteve Electromatic

Feb 27, 2021
    USA
    I'm looking at a TonePros bridge - do you happen to remember which one didn't fit your 5622? Big help

15. RomanSteve

RomanSteve Electromatic

Feb 27, 2021
    USA
    Thanks. Can't find a 2400 for love nor money this side of the pond. TonePros roller looks like it would work.

16. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Country Gent

May 14, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    Unfortunately no, I deleted the photos I had of it once I was refunded.

17. RomanSteve

RomanSteve Electromatic

Feb 27, 2021
    USA
    I ordered the ABM 2400. Hopefully it'll be a transformative experience . . .

18. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Country Gent

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Hello RomanSteve welcome to G-T, glad to have you here with us.
    It's good that you ordered the ABM2400, should fix you right up.
    Nice looking 5622T that you have, enjoy it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.