'56 Duo Jet NGD

bobkat

Country Gent
Jun 2, 2008
Valparaiso Indiana
SUWEEEEEETTTTT!! I would take that Meleeter offin thar and get yersef a Compton! You will feel good and feel good about yersef!

Attachments

• gollum smiling.jpg
    gollum smiling.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 253

coreyman97

Electromatic
Apr 1, 2011
New York
Thanks everyone. It has a chunky neck that feels really comfortable to me and is much lighter than I thought it would be (a good thing since I don't like Les Paul's because they weigh a ton). The fixed Bigsby is pretty cool but really alters where you can strum.

daverave

Gretschie
May 11, 2009
so Cal
very nice looking. can you do us a favor, when you change strings, can you check the back of the bigsby to see if it has a licensed stamp. you usually do not see the bigsby's with the "US" added.

knavel

Country Gent
Dec 26, 2009
London, England
That Bigsby looks to be the Selmer licensed version that was sold in the UK from about 1961, hence the "'US' Patent". Does yours have the pins that screw in with the slot heads and not the usual (for vintage) hex heads?

I have a B3 licensed Bigsby which is a ringer for the original USA one on my brother's 56 Jet Firebird.

What I don't get about your Bigsby is that it's the fixed arm version. That's surprising that Selmer would have offered that as it was already superseded by the mid 50s. But who knows.

More info on Selmer Bigsbys.

http://www.vintagehofner.co.uk/factfiles/bigsby/bigsby.html

coreyman97

Electromatic
Apr 1, 2011
New York
knavel, it does in fact have the pins that screw in with the slot heads. the person i bought it from said the fixed arm bigsby was from '55, though i'm not sure. thanks for the info.

knavel

Country Gent
Dec 26, 2009
London, England
I agree that I've only seen original fixed arm Bigsbys from the period of the mid 50s. By serial number 19000 Gretsch had moved away from them.

I simply don't have enough info (because I don't think it exists) to say whether Selmer produced a fixed arm Bigsby. Yours would suggest that this the case. I've never seen another. I have a B3 Selmer as mentioned and it has the phillips head. Like it would have looked for the USA version in around 1958/9-62. I retract my coment above that it's a ringer for my brother's since his has the slot head Duane Eddy type arm.

What I do believe is that Selmer didn't do the licensed models till at least 1960. If you look at this letter -- ASSUMING it's legitimate--Paul Bigsby wrote John Lennon's friend and mentioned Selmer, but that they were the "distributor". It seems to me that if Selmer had their licensed models in production by then, Bigsby would have steered them to the licensed units(?). It's also amazing to me that Bigbsy would sign such a lettter of inquiry himself. But the world was a smaller place then.

Scroll down a bit and you'll see the letter I'm talking about--there are little details on there that make the letter look authentic.

http://www.rickresource.com/rrp/babysinblack.html

Is the fixed arm compatible with later Bigsby versions? Seems odd, but if so, then someone could have attached a fixed arm to the Selmer bigsby.