5420TG vs. 6119 Tenn Rose

MonteSS

Electromatic
Apr 9, 2022
Quinte West, Ont, Can
Years ago I owned a 2004 Tenn Rose with a DIY aluminum hollow tube bridge. A while ago I bought a used 135th Anni. 5420TG. Unfortunately, to my ears, the sound is dull and lacks "That Great Gretsch Sound". Many players like the black top pickups but I find they lack the sweetness of the Filtertrons. Also the electronics seem to lack - not responsive as the 6119. If I were to modify the electronics and upgrade to Filtertrons (and perhaps the bridge) would I get closer to the tone of the 6119? By itself the Electromatic is a nice guitar.

rake_ether

Synchromatic
Gold Supporting Member
Aug 24, 2019
Athens, GA USA
I would say probably yes. I have both a 5420 and a 6119 Rosewood Tenny with TV Jones Classics and yes the tone is different. But since I play a lot of blues I very much like the Blacktop Filtertrons. I'm even thinking of putting in some Rio Grande Textrons to get an even more PAF tone. Your upgrade ideas are a great way to have a more "Great Gretsch Sound".

Irish-Jay

Electromatic
Silver Member
Jul 2, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Years ago I owned a 2004 Tenn Rose with a DIY aluminum hollow tube bridge. A while ago I bought a used 135th Anni. 5420TG. Unfortunately, to my ears, the sound is dull and lacks "That Great Gretsch Sound". Many players like the black top pickups but I find they lack the sweetness of the Filtertrons. Also the electronics seem to lack - not responsive as the 6119. If I were to modify the electronics and upgrade to Filtertrons (and perhaps the bridge) would I get closer to the tone of the 6119? By itself the Electromatic is a nice guitar.
Maybe not answering you exactly as asked, but I don’t really care too much for the blacktops. I put TV Jones Power’Trons in my Tenn Rose, and even swapped out Filter’Trons in an HH Strat I own. I have standard Filter’trons in my G6228, and think they would sound great (better than blacktops, imho) in your 5420.
No matter what, best success!

NitroSonic

Electromatic
Nov 12, 2022
EU
I have both a 1989 6119 and a 2016 5420T.
They are similar but not the same.
My 6119 has a long scale neck, that I prefer.
Also smaller F-holes.
Pups at this moment are TV Jones Powertrons.
Bridge is a Compton Stainless steel.
But I will probably replace those with TV Classics.

5420T has a short scale neck, more like a 6120.
I changed the bridge to a floating base with a Compton stainless steel bridge.
Also changed the pickups to TV Jones Brian Setzer pups.

Between those two guitars, I prefer the 6119.
It feels better to me, although it is heavier. Personal preference.

Anyway, If you want a 6119, buy one.
You can get close with the 5420T but it is not the same. imho.