5420T fixes (Bridge/Pickup height)

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by HandyAndy, Sep 9, 2020.

1. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz

Many are free floating or pinned, not secured. Easy fix, float your bridge and use string rosin to keep it in place

HandyAndy likes this.
  2. HandyAndy

HandyAndy Electromatic

Sep 9, 2020
    Earth
    up the friction i see!

3. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Synchromatic

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Welcome to the forum Andy. I like the spacers you came up with. My G5420T has a Compton's bridge installed on it.

4. S.R.Cash

S.R.Cash Gretschie

Aug 29, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    I have some dental floss sitting around, think that'll be a good fix on this rattler?

5. capnhiho

capnhiho Synchromatic

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    Careful application from a bottle of cheap clear nail polish will yield invisible results and was easier for me than wrapping string around the rattly bits. I got a bottle from the local dollar store.

BorderRadio, Gregor and S.R.Cash like this.
  6. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    You can also find videos to match the bridge bass bottom to the guitar so there is not gap, using light sand paper on top of the guitar top.

7. HandyAndy

HandyAndy Electromatic

Sep 9, 2020
    Earth
    Henry, I understand what you are saying.
    What we are getting after here in this thread earlier is that even if they are perfectly matched shape wise there still might be a problem.
    It is very hard for the pieces of the bridge and top to truly come together because they are both threaded. It is not good practice when you are trying to combine two things together tightly not to have clearance in first item.

8. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Synchromatic

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    You're right, as a machinist I know it is pretty much impossible to get two threaded pieces to flush-mount against each other. One usually must be drilled with clearance around the bolt.
    I don't know why Gretsch would make them that way.

My G5129 has a floating bridge and it works well.

After much thought I think I would grind the threads off the studs where they go down into the body, then they would work as locating pins. If you decided to change anything later the studs are easy and cheap to replace without affecting the bridge or body of your expensive guitar.

9. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Oh, I am assuming you are removing the pinning.

10. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    I learned about the flaw the hard way. I removed my bridge, taped sandpaper to the top, covered the bottom of the bridge base with silver marker so I could see when the base matched the top. I put it back together and all was good until I threaded in the studs and the bridge base bowed.

That was when I did the trick of stringing up, unscrewing the studs, letting the base set down, then threading the studs back in with string tension.

If I had to do it again, I would still sand and match the base to the top, then I would just cut down the studs and have a floating bridge. Or, just buy a floating bridge base, they are cheap, and shape that one then I could return the guitar to stock if I needed to sell it.

4F0D4C78-317B-4E75-A892-A606DEE48AEA.jpeg 1AB86375-395C-4BFE-A086-F3E553A98C12.jpeg 708FAD91-F799-46D9-82BC-52F178869167.jpeg

Shadowy_Man and capnhiho like this.
  11. Shadowy_Man

Shadowy_Man Gretschie

May 18, 2020
    Chicago
    So recently I was swapping pickups back and forth between my 5420 and an Ibanez hollowbody I have (as you do). I noticed the Gretsch in comparison had a weird midrange bump. It didn't sound bad exactly, but more midrange than I wanted. Some of that no doubt is reduced treble due to the pickups on the Gretsch being further from the bridge. But some of it, it turns out, was the Gretsch bar bridge. I don't know what material it's made of. Is it maybe copper inside with nickel on the outside? I notice the TOM bridge on my Ibanez didn't have that bump. So I put back the TOM bridge that came with my Gretsch, and that definitely reduced the midrange a bit. I drilled out the two holes on the ends so it would fit on the floating OEM black Gretsch bridge base. I'm thinking eventually I'll get a Compton bridge in aluminum. But I definitely still want the bridge to float.

12. HandyAndy

HandyAndy Electromatic

Sep 9, 2020
    Earth
    So good on the pictures Radd. I like the silver marker trick. I thought it was chalk at first.

13. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    Wish I could say it was my idea, but I picked that trick up from someone here a couple years ago.

As for pictures, I’m a visual guy, I love threads where people post pics, especially “how to” threads.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.