5230 ambitious mod

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by Outlaw, Apr 1, 2021.

1. Outlaw

Outlaw Synchromatic

Jul 13, 2011
    UK
    Hi all
    This is just a basic run down of what I've been up to during lock down.

I had a g5230t given to me for my birthday in May last year and truth be known I have never really bonded with it and to cut a long story short the reason is that it was kind of like playing a les paul copy. It just wasn't Gretsch enough for me, even after new pups, Bigsby b3, Compton bridge etc etc.
    The Guitar sounded great and played nice but something was not right.
    NO FLOATING BRIDGE!

So..... 0ff came the neck and timber was added to the heel to raise the neck height.

I'm going to post a more detailed post later but here is a couple of pics of progress so far. It's all lining up nice.

But I'm pleased with the way it's going

You will also notice that I have sanded down the poly finish, it got a bit messed up in the process, but that's OK because I'm giving it a new nitro paint job,
    And just for a bit of fun, have a guess what colours Its going to be, note I said colours!
    IMG_20210320_175133.jpg IMG_20210324_163159.jpg IMG_20210330_204400.jpg IMG_20210330_200426.jpg

Henry, Mescalero, michelb and 24 others like this.
  2. capnhiho

capnhiho Synchromatic

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    Yikes!
    You’re WAAAYYY more ambitious than I am!

ZackyDog, j.s.c and MrWookiee like this.
  3. Marko60

Marko60 Gretschie

Mar 26, 2021
    Yorkshire, England
    Rather you than me! Sparkle sun burst?

4. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Country Gent

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Very ambitious project. I see where your headed in the overall scheme of things. Hope you will enjoy many years of companionship with this guitar.
    No idea on the color scheme but bet it's going to be a beauty.

How hard was that neck to remove? I don't think I'd be brave enough to attempt that.

5. Outlaw

Outlaw Synchromatic

Jul 13, 2011
    UK
    Thanks!
    Removing the neck turned out to be a bit of a mare!
    The fretboard came off very easily but the neck was something else, it was glued in with epoxy resin,
    TBH I would not have done it if I had known but when the fretboard came off so easy that lulled me into thinking the neck would be easy to steam off. BUT I WAS WRONG!!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
    ZackyDog, new6659 and T-Bawler like this.
  6. Back in Black

Back in Black Synchromatic

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    Outlaw,

A man after my own heart!

Curious to know your process for successfully getting the neck off.

I did something very similar last June when building my Malcom ''Salute'', short of removing and raising the neck.

My build modeled after third photo.

Unlike you, the maple cap on my project was left natural, following stripping the urethane, and the photo etched grain, somewhat disappointed at the very poor condition of the ''pieced together'' 1/2'' thick hard maple cap. Mind you, my new G5222 was never intended to have done, what I did.

I bought some maple doweling at HD, but could not get diameter needed to plug ''V'' stop tailpiece insert holes. Cut a branch off my back-yard maple, stripped/cleaned and ''kiln dried'' in the micro-wave, worked great.

Of all the guitars in my herd, the ''tinkered together'' ones are my favorites, and the ones I ''actually'' play.

So nice to see someone else ''thinking out-side the box''.

Best,

BIB.

DSCF1308.JPG G5222 in aged natural finish.jpg CS 3.jpg

michelb, Archtops, Henry and 3 others like this.
  7. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    You sanded it down? Didn't use heatgun?

8. OzzPocket

OzzPocket Gretschie

Aug 11, 2020
    NYS
    I seriously can't wait to see this...good luck with it!

9. Outlaw

Outlaw Synchromatic

Jul 13, 2011
    UK
    No heat gun but I did use an orbital sander, very carefully.

10. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    I prefer the look of the floating bridge, I wish they would put those standard on the center blocks too. Great job, I am sure it will be a one if a kind when you are done.

Marv666 and Outlaw like this.
  11. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Fine & yes : ambitious ! :eek::cool:

I wouldn't attempt to do this by myself... :oops:

A+!

12. Outlaw

Outlaw Synchromatic

Jul 13, 2011
    UK
    Removing the neck was a.......... well a pain in the neck!
    I started to go through the motions of steaming the neck off ie using a pressure cooker with hose and thin pipe attached, drilled the holes in the appropriate places and tried to steam it, it soon became pretty clear that steam was not going to do the job.
    Googled how to weaken epoxy joint and found on a furniture repair site that getting acetone into the joint will soften it.
    So it was a case of getting acetone into the joint using syringe and using thin bladed scraper to gradually work it loose and repeat (often) .

Thanks for the comments, your guitar is awesome and remember
    'God loves a reckless man'

ZackyDog, Marv666, new6659 and 2 others like this.
  13. Back in Black

Back in Black Synchromatic

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    Outlaw,

He does!

Did you experience any unwanted splits in the area of the mahogany neck pocket during removal?

Sounds easier that it actually may have been, if there were no cracks/splits in the process.

Your removal was excellently executed!!

Looking forward to photos of the finished guitar, especially detail shots around neck heel.

My Malcolm could use a neck lift. It still has the original set of strings following the build. When I replace the strings, lowering the action will be completed as well.

You only really fail, when you never try!

Best,

BIB.

Henry and Outlaw like this.
  14. Outlaw

Outlaw Synchromatic

Jul 13, 2011
    UK
    It wasn't easy, I have re-set guitar necks before but they were glued in with wood glue.
    As for splits there was a small one that was about 3/4" long at the corner of the neck pocket on the cutaway side, I worked glue into it and don't think it will cause any problems. Other than that a few small splinters of wood from neck pocket came off with the neck, nothing much though.

If I was to do it again I would consider using a multitool to separate neck and body still using acetone, you would end up with a neck pocket slightly too big so a veneer glued to neck or pocket would be needed,
    Just a thought.

15. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    Woo ambitious move but you made it !
    So acetone thought both sides of the neck pocket (with 3 holes on both sides) but what about the base where the neck is sitting glued to the body ?

Then can you explain how you modified the heel : cut the original neck block then glue back after adding a neck extension ? Or just shim the original one and craved a Fake neck extension??

Anyway +++

16. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    ooooooooo if you could add a neck extension, you could have removed the fretboard, converted it to 25.5 scale and added 24 or more frets.... *looks to my double cut away G5232T with devilish possiblities*

I'LL FINALLY HAVE MY 24 FRET GRETSCH!!!!!!!!!!!

17. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Is this what you call "multitool"?
    Btw it would ne interesting to know if other electro or pro series are also have epoxy glued neck.... I really hope for a no!

Outlaw likes this.
  18. Outlaw

Outlaw Synchromatic

Jul 13, 2011
    UK
    Worked my way in with a craft knife + acetone then thin bladed narrow scraper, that was the hardest and slowest part of all.
    I added a shim to the neck heel then sanded it to size and glued/clamped it back in.

Archtops likes this.
  19. Outlaw

Outlaw Synchromatic

Jul 13, 2011
    UK
    Th
    That's it, you can buy longer blades for it aswell

j.s.c likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.