5127 vs 3140 - neck, specs,...

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by RomanS, Aug 3, 2020.

1. RomanS

RomanS Gretschie

May 26, 2010
    Vienna, Austria
    Has anybody here had a chance to compare a G3140 Historic Series to a 512x Electromatic?

I had a G3140 for a few months, LOVED the tone of those DeArmond 2000s, loved the way it looked, wished it was lighter, but ultimately had to sell it because of the TINY neck. Narrow and shredder thin, gave me cramps in my left hand after 15 minutes of playing (and we quite often play 3x 45 minute sets with my band...)

Now a 5127 has popped up on a local site - same pickups, looks even cooler with the two-tone baby blue/black color. It's about two hours drive time away, so I can't really test what the neck feels like...
    FWIW the one for sale has a Samick (KS) serial number, a B60, and the smaller f holes.

So, what's the neck like on those, can't find specs online...?

(I also have 5238 Pro Jet, the one with the bland minibuckers, for reference - while that doesn't exactly have a chunky neck, it's not as tiny as the one on the 3140).

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  2. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    The necks on the 512x series are great! Definitely not skinny. They’re actually kinda fat, but not quite baseball bat fat.

RomanS likes this.
  3. Jeff67

Jeff67 Country Gent

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    I've been eyeballing one of those for a while. I have a set of DeArmond 2Ks I'd love to drop in there. Specifically, this one at GC:

Gretsch 5238.jpg

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  4. Groutsch

Groutsch Gretschie

Jun 9, 2018
    Maryland, US
    My 5129's neck does not seem very thick to me. Not bothersomely skinny, for me, but not fat. The size might have varied from year to year. If I were you, I would ask the seller for a measurement before driving two hours.

RomanS likes this.
  5. RomanS

RomanS Gretschie

May 26, 2010
    Vienna, Austria
    Seems like I came too late, anyway - the guitar has been marked "on hold for prospective buyer" in the ad now...

6. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    My 5125's got a chunky neck.

7. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    My former KS 2005 G5128 neck had decent shoulder, 0.83” 1st fret, 0.90” 9th fret, FWIW.

RomanS likes this.
  8. RomanS

RomanS Gretschie

May 26, 2010
    Vienna, Austria
    Ok, still sounds rather thin-ish. But it seems that the one I was looking at might already be sold, anyway...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.