5120 Hollowbody vs 5222 Double Jet V tail Neck Comparison?

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by BWPhoto, May 20, 2020.

Tags:
  1. BWPhoto

BWPhoto Newbie

I have the 5120 and love everything about the neck. It's the most comfortable to play of all my guitars, by a long shot.

I'd really like to get a 5222 (as a poor-man's Malcolm Young kind of thing) and am hoping these new v-tail hard bodies have the same neck profile, radius, scale etc...

Anyone have both?

2. jfassett

jfassett Synchromatic

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    I have a 5122 and a Broadway jade double cut jet ( probably similar to the 5222) and I can say the two necks are very different. I love the neck on the 5122 as well.

BWPhoto likes this.
  3. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

I don't have either of these exact models but do have a G6120SSU and a G6128-1962 (as well as a few more;)). To be honest, the necks on my Gretsch guitars feel very similar to one another to me; maybe I'm just used to dealing with a variety of instruments and small differences in neck profile don't register much. What does get my notice though is body size and I generally prefer a smaller body over a larger one. I love the G6128-1962 for that reason, among others, and it is a fancy cousin to the G5222 you're thinking about. I'd say go for it - I'd kind of like one of those for myself:rolleyes:

BWPhoto likes this.
  4. capnhiho

capnhiho Country Gent

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    I have a 2012 G5420 (similar neck profile to your 5120) and a 2018 G5245 Double Jet. The 5420 neck is very comfortable to my arthritic thumb, so I searched carefully for a similar neck neck shape when I wanted a Gretsch solid body. Necks on the 2018 and earlier Jets are essentially identical to the 5420 ("standard U") while I found the 2019 and newer Jets to all have the slimmer "thin U" neck. Newer ones have better fret access higher up the neck, but the thicker neck sold me on the <2019’s.

Last edited: May 21, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.