5120 gets Vineham "Rockabilly" pickups

DaveT

Synchromatic
Oct 14, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Just got done putting a set of Vineham "rockabilly" pickups in my 5120. This was my first real foray into a guitar mod (aside form a compton bridge swap).

They drop right in, they fit the stock pickup rings after you drill 1 extra hole for the height adjustment screw (the Vinehams use 2, the Gretschbuckers 3).

This thing is twang monster now, very rich and full sound to it.

Thanks to Craig Vineham for a great set of pickups and to Tony6565 for some tips !.

Here it is with the rest of the family (the one on the cabinet):

Attachments

• IMG_3878.jpg
    IMG_3878.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_3876.jpg
    IMG_3876.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 209

Tennesean

Gretschie
Aug 23, 2013
Vancouver
Very pleasing wall of Gretsch's!
What's the Silver one?(or is that the aspen green). I like the silver colour

Out of curiosity is it possible to adjust the poles on those pickups
I find I need to tweak the poles on a pickup to get an even tone and I curious
thanks

Tinman46

Country Gent
Dec 19, 2011
Nope
My Rock-a-billy PU's came Friday. Haven't had a chance to install them yet. I'm still considering a complete rewire pots, jack, etc.
The extra holes on the PU ring, did you just put that side under the pickguard?

DaveT

Synchromatic
Oct 14, 2009
Ontario, Canada
My Rock-a-billy PU's came Friday. Haven't had a chance to install them yet. I'm still considering a complete rewire pots, jack, etc.
The extra holes on the PU ring, did you just put that side under the pickguard?

Yes, just put the side with the empty holes under the pick guard

DaveT

Synchromatic
Oct 14, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Very pleasing wall of Gretsch's!
What's the Silver one?(or is that the aspen green). I like the silver colour

Out of curiosity is it possible to adjust the poles on those pickups
I find I need to tweak the poles on a pickup to get an even tone and I curious
thanks

Thanks

Its a new Aspen Green 5420

Cant change the pole height, just the whole pickup height

copperheadroads

Electromatic
Apr 5, 2014
The Rock /Canada
Just got done putting a set of Vineham "rockabilly" pickups in my 5120. This was my first real foray into a guitar mod (aside form a compton bridge swap).

They drop right in, they fit the stock pickup rings after you drill 1 extra hole for the height adjustment screw (the Vinehams use 2, the Gretschbuckers 3).

This thing is twang monster now, very rich and full sound to it.

Thanks to Craig Vineham for a great set of pickups and to Tony6565 for some tips !.

Here it is with the rest of the family (the one on the cabinet):

Thanks.............Glad you like them Dave ...

thunder58

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 23, 2010
tappan ny
Nice family and yes , thats a great pick guard . I think you've posted that guitar once before , always liked that pick guard myself . Enjoy the new tones

DaveT

Synchromatic
Oct 14, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Nice collection. Is that a compton on you 5th Ave? How's it sound compared to the Tusk bridge?

Yes it is ! Wayne mad me one with a custom Radius way back 3 or 4 yrs ago (Aluminum). Mounted on a rosewood base.

Sounds great, more clarity and sustain than the tusk bridge to my ear.

Looks like it belongs there too :)

Tony65x55

Gretschified
Sep 23, 2011
The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
I knew that you would love them, they sound fantastic. I think they double coil pickups of the Filtertron type but designed to fit a humbucker rout. Bright, clear and jangly. Weigh in here Craig, you know more than I.

copperheadroads

Electromatic
Apr 5, 2014
The Rock /Canada
I knew that you would love them, they sound fantastic. I think they double coil pickups of the Filtertron type but designed to fit a humbucker rout. Bright, clear and jangly. Weigh in here Craig, you know more than I.
They are humbuckers ,humfree !!. but instead of pole screws & bar magnets .They use Alnico rods like a strat or a tele . These are a inspired by what Seth Lover did when he designed the original Wide Range humbuckers for Fender back in the 70's .
They have that single coil attack which is bright & clear ..Very Gretsch like & very Hollowbody Friendly .

Latest posts