'51 Nocaster Pups - do they cancel hum in mid position?

General_Lee

Gretschie
Apr 23, 2022
Manitoba, Canada
Anyone know the answer to this? I've looked on the net and am finding mixed messages. Even the Fender site doesn't clarify this - which suggests this set of pups do not achieve this feature. In any case, I'm thinking of trying a set. Anyone here use them?

Maguchi

Electromatic
Aug 11, 2022
Lalaland
Anyone know the answer to this? I've looked on the net and am finding mixed messages. Even the Fender site doesn't clarify this - which suggests this set of pups do not achieve this feature. In any case, I'm thinking of trying a set. Anyone here use them?
Yeah, I have them on a 2018 Parallel Universe Whiteguard "Strat" (really a Tele with a Strat body). I'll check it out and get back to you next time I dig it out of my guitar closet.

General_Lee

Gretschie
Apr 23, 2022
Manitoba, Canada
BTW, I'm currently using a set of SD 5-2s. Great set with a very modern sound and classic attitude (and the mid-pos hum cancel works a charm). Still, I'm kind of drawn to getting my ash-bodied 50s Vintera to sound even more "vintage". The CS '51s seem to accomplish this, at least from what I've heard on some of the U-Tube videos I've seen on these pups...

Maguchi

Electromatic
Aug 11, 2022
Lalaland
BTW, I'm currently using a set of SD 5-2s. Great set with a very modern sound and classic attitude (and the mid-pos hum cancel works a charm). Still, I'm kind of drawn to getting my ash-bodied 50s Vintera to sound even more "vintage". The CS '51s seem to accomplish this, at least from what I've heard on some of the U-Tube videos I've seen on these pups...
The '51 Nocasters in my 2018 Whiteguard Strat are "reverse polarity, reverse wound" (RWRP). Which means they are hum canceling in the middle position on a 3 way switch. I can definitely hear the guitar get quieter in position 2 and 4 (I have an aftermarket Fender 4 way switch with an additional both pickups in series position). Fender and retailers that sell the '51 Nocaster pickups don't advertise whether they are RWRP or not, however I'm assuming because mine are, they all are.

BTW, depending on how the electricity is wired where you play, the 60 cycle hum is barely audible. IMHO the concern about single coil hum can be a little overrated. Unless you play with heavy metal amounts of amp or pedal gain, (which you probly wouldn't do with '51 Nocasters), you won't hear it. In a quiet studio or stage you just turn down the volume on the guitar or fader on the board until you start playing.

As far as internet reviews go, a lot of the major topics have already been covered. So some internet vids and articles whose authors get paid, sometimes dissect smaller concerns which don't really apply in practical gigging and recording situations. YMMV

Last edited:

General_Lee

Gretschie
Apr 23, 2022
Manitoba, Canada
Thanks Maguchi. This is definitely what I was looking for, info wise. BTW, how do you like the tonality of these pups compared to whatever else you might be using?

Maguchi

Electromatic
Aug 11, 2022
Lalaland
Thanks Maguchi. This is definitely what I was looking for, info wise. BTW, how do you like the tonality of these pups compared to whatever else you might be using?
Oh they're really sweet. I also have an American Pro, not a Pro II, and I like the stock pickups on that too. They're different, both very Tele sounding, can hear a difference, but hard to describe. One day I might prefer the '51s and the next day the Am. Pros. S'all good, with the tone and volume knobs on both guitar and amp there's such a good variety of sounds with Teles.

Randy99CL

Country Gent
Feb 17, 2020
Albuquerque
That early in the game I doubt that Leo knew to cancel the hum. Just my impression.

Many sets are not set up that way, often you have to order them with one RWRP compared to the other.

You understand that for hum-cancelling one pickup has to be reverse wound and reverse polarity.
Easy to do with some single-coils. Flip the magnet in one and reverse the wires.

Last edited:

Maguchi

Electromatic
Aug 11, 2022
Lalaland
That early in the game I doubt that Leo knew to cancel the hum. Just my impression.

Many sets are not set up that way, often you have to order them with one RWRP compared to the other.

You understand that for hum-cancelling one pickup has to be reverse wound and reverse polarity from the other.
Easy to do with some single-coils. Flip the magnet in one and reverse the wires.
Yes most if not all the Fenders prior to maybe the early 80s were not RWRP or hum canceling with 2 pickups yet. Although some of the current reissue pickups being made now like the '51s are RWRP.

Last edited:

loudnlousy

Gretschified
Oct 18, 2015
Germany
I doubt that there were any specially built pickups for the sake of humcancelling on original No-Casters.
This is something they came up with recently.

General_Lee

Gretschie
Apr 23, 2022
Manitoba, Canada
The last few posts bring up an interesting point concerning "authenticity" in reissued pups. My guess is that all these RIs are approximations at best in any case. Having said this, I'm happy to give up a touch of authenticity for the sake of a "modern" convenience such as hum-cancel in mid position. It's one of the things I really enjoy with the SD 5-2s, and would be hard pressed to give up in any new set of pickups, unless the new pups were really talking to me...