50 Best Rock Memoirs

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by drmilktruck, Dec 3, 2020.

1. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
  2. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Friend of Fred

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Not on the list, but Pete Townshend "Who I Am" is absolutely epic.

speedicut and drmilktruck like this.
  3. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    Didn't see it on the list, but X-Ray (Ray Davies) is a must-read for Kinks fans...

4. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

My favs: Chuck Berry, Keith Richards, Bob Dylan, Peter Hook (but I've read the two other ones and not the one about the New Order period)... And Dee Dee!

To be considered: Lemmy, Joe Boyd, Richard Hell, Anthony Kiedis, Bruce Springsteen, Nile Rodgers.

Missing: Andrew Loog Oldham, Geoff Emerick and Jeffrey Lee Pierce.

5. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Friend of Fred

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    What about Serge Gainsbourg? He led one hell of an interesting life. I think it would be quite a good read.
    But then again, since "Gainsbourg (Vie héroïque)" (cinema) already exists, a book might be rather pointless

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
    drmilktruck and JeffreyLeePierre like this.
  6. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    Haven't read the list but the few I have read that are fascinating are :

Nikki Sixx's "Heroin Diaries"
    Dave Mustain's Autobiography.
    Ozzy Osbourne's Autobiography.

T-Bawler and drmilktruck like this.
  7. OzzPocket

OzzPocket Gretschie

Aug 11, 2020
    NYS
    I found "For Facts Sake" by Bob Daisley pretty interesting.

Crazy From The Heat by David Lee Roth is kind of rambling (which is pretty much how he is, so no surprise to me) , and it's been many years since I read it, but I seem to remember enjoying it..... (but I drank heavily then, so no promises ;) )

drmilktruck likes this.
  8. JeffreyLeePierre

He never wrote an autobiography. He only wrote a short novel, "Evguenie Sokolov", a story about a painter. Don't know if it's been translated in English.

9. drmilktruck

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Jane Birkin wrote a memoir that covered the years with Gainsbourg, called The Monkey Diaries.

JeffreyLeePierre likes this.
  10. drmilktruck

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Kathy Valentine of the GoGos published a memoir of her career this year that’s getting good reviews.

11. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Here are three that I can't believe didn't make the list:

Bill Graham and Robert Greenfield: Bill Graham Presents
    This is not just my favourite rock memoir—it's one of my favourite books in any genre. The book could have ended before he staged his first concert at the Fillmore and it still would have been an amazing story.

Elvis Costello: Unfaithful Music and Disappearing Ink
    As witty, brilliant, and moving as his best songs.

Levon Helm and Stephen Davis: This Wheel's on Fire
    Levon had his own acerbic perspective on the breakup of The Band, but he and his co-author beautifully capture what it must have felt like to be there at the birth of rock & roll, the birth of rock as a serious art form, and the whole rise and fall of The Band.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
    JeffreyLeePierre and drmilktruck like this.
  12. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    My ex-partner told me one day that he was thinking about writing a memoir about our days on the road. I told him I would hunt him down and kill him.

13. JeffreyLeePierre

He can remember about it?!!!!!!!!!!

:D

Tony65x55 likes this.
  14. Tadhg

Tadhg Gretschie

Aug 8, 2019
    Qld - Australia
    He's an Aussie who never really made it internationally (though the story of Eddie asking him to step in after Diamond Dave left was first reported in these autobiographies), so it's not hugely surprising to see these books not on the list. But he's had an incredible life, performed with the very best all over the world, and has written his story in roughly 900 pages across two books - Working Class Boy and Working Class Man. Two titles influenced by the title of likely his best known solo work (Working Class Man). It'd be unpatriotic in the extreme for me not to mention him in such a list. Jimmy Barnes.

T-Bawler and Penguin like this.
  15. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    I read many rock memoirs. I found it super funny to hear the same story in different memoirs told from another angle.
    There are some chapters in different books sharing the same story: The Lemmy bio and the Dave Brock Bio, The Ozzy bio and the Mötley Crüe bio , Ozzy`s and Iommi`s etc.

drmilktruck likes this.
  16. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Bill Kreutzman's (drummer for the Grateful Dead) was interesting. His counterpart, Mickey Hart, has three books out, and, while not bios, are all really interesting takes on drumming and music in general.

Warren Zevon's bio (I'm a huge fan) was most depressing.

drmilktruck likes this.
  17. Paulie26

Paulie26 Electromatic

Sep 7, 2020
    Ireland
  18. drmilktruck

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Belinda Carlisle of the Go Gos played the Minnesota State Fair last year. At one point she yelled out, "Anybody here remember the 80s?" After people cheered, she said, "That's good because I don't!"

Tadhg, T-Bawler and JeffreyLeePierre like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.