Join Gretsch-Talk Today

3 questions

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by brianr, Mar 18, 2017.

1. brianr

brianr Synchromatic

Aug 1, 2014
    palmdale
    1) whats the best strings for a hollowbody 6120 or falcon ,2) what's the best position for 1 pickup hollowbody, 3) what's a preferred pickup as well...thanks for your opinions

2. dilver

dilver Country Gent

Feb 16, 2009
    NJ
    Just a suggestion - you'll get too many personal preferences in response unless you tell us what you're after: genre, playing style, artists who's tone you like, how well you play, what kind of rig you're playing through, etc.

Moses McKinley likes this.
  3. reverb11

reverb11 Electromatic

Jun 11, 2008
    London, Ontario
    My opinion, only, naturally.

1) I like nickel Pyramids or Thomastiks, round-wound, 10's or 11's.
    2) It's got to be the neck! See single Annies, Es-125, etc. Fatter tone for jazz or blues--but if you are a country or rock guy, you might want to go Esquire and have the bridge only.
    3) Single coils. P-90, staple or DeArmond.

Good luck!

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. MikeSchindler

MikeSchindler Gretschie

Feb 3, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    Some say 11 gauge and some swear by 10 gauge...I use 10 gauge roundwound Daddario on my SSLVO..no problems with tuning or BIgbsy use...stable enough to gig with and a bit easier to bend. Your style and music preferences will determine what sound your after and whether youll want flatwounds, roundwounds, semi rounds , pure nickel..etc. there is alot out there too like the coated strings, round core vs hex core

6. Tinman46

Tinman46 Country Gent

Dec 19, 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
    T-Armond in the neck with 11 gauge D'Addario EXL's is one of my favorite sounds.

TvJ Classic in the bridge with same strings also does it for me.

7. guitarmike

guitarmike Gretschie

Oct 13, 2015
    Montreal
    Since it's a question of personnal taste, only you have the answer.

8. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Waaaay to many variables at play, and "best" is impossible. A better question is "what do YOU like and why?".

I find different guitars WANT different/specific things. For instance, I have always used 11's on my Gretsch guitars. Every Gretsch I've ever owned. However, my new Panther which came strung with 11s told me it wanted 10s. I was like "are you sure?" and it growled back "yes". So I put 10's on there and they feel like magic. Strange right?

There are no correct answers in any of this stuff, ONLY opinions. And honestly? When I try someone else's "greatest ever", I disagree probably 70% of the time. It's all so subjective.

Ultimately - good luck!!

Waxhead and nickurso like this.
  9. brianr

brianr Synchromatic

Aug 1, 2014
    palmdale
    Thanks all.... I appreciate the input

10. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    1 - 10-52 Ernie Ball or Dean Markley "standard" sets (I use this for 30 years with success)
    2 - center position (you can't imagine how good-sounding and versatile is the tone of a center PU alone)
    3 - HS FT (if you want a humbucking PU in a center position, to sound bright and powerful)

It's just my opinion, issued from my experience, and is as valid as any other advice here, of course...

A+!

brianr likes this.
  11. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Replace "best" with "preferred" or "your taste" and the discussion might make sense, if each poster also tells, what genres he / she plays.

Ok, I mainly play Rock and Indie stuff, so ...

1. On my super bight Falcon with TVJ Classics and aluminium True-Arc I play Gibson Vintage Reissue with hex core in .10 ... I always use 10s. These pure nickel strings tame the harsh treble and warm up the bottom end. But in comparison to round core strings, especially flatwounds, they retain the guitars bite and don't tame overdrive. On my Panther though this is wanted, because I mainly play it clean, so my choice are Thomastik Jazz Swing. The Gibson Brite Wires (nickel plated steel, similar to D'Addarrio XL) I love on my Les Paul and Schecter Hybrid are a bit too bright for Filtertrons for my taste.
    2. I would never, ever buy a guitar with just one pickup, sorry. The clean tones of my Falcon for example sound best with both pickups.
    3. HS Filtertrons or TVJ Classics, because I hate single coil hum.

That's my taste.

12. Aymara

Aymara Country Gent

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Very interesting, because I also play .10s on my Panther and my Falcon (as on all of my guitars) and always wondered, why most Gretsch players use .11s ;) ... I find them too stiff.

13. brianr

brianr Synchromatic

Aug 1, 2014
    palmdale
    So I did purchace 1 HS filtertron and I will put in center position on this build I've just started it's a hollowbody double cut I call bribillybo

Attached Files:

14. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I wouldn't buy a guitar with only one pickup, but it would have to be in the bridge position unless the guitar is dedicated to jazz or something similar.

Aymara likes this.
  15. Waxhead

Waxhead Synchromatic

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    +1 with Mr Sims
    There are no correct answers to these questions - just whatever you prefer this week :)

16. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    I think you won't regret it - you will discover that your instrument can finally cut through the mix in nearly any situation with that single center position PU. Bridge = Rocky, Neck = Jazzy, Center = Versatility.

All my guitars below allow the possibility to switch on the Center pickup alone : this is my favourite selector position... And this is not the same sound as Neck+Bridge position.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A+!

benjwri, Henry and TSims1 like this.
  17. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

Loving the green and orange ones........what IS the orange one, anyways?

18. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Thanks !

These are custom-made, one-of-a-kind, Lefty-fake Danelectro-style guitars, made by a skilled luthier friend.

The green Minerva Verde one is a solid body made from scratch with alder and maple, the Candy Orange one is a 60's Japanese generic hollow body rescued from trash, rebuilt and modified.

[​IMG]

I'm sure that I already presented these oddities somewhere on the forum, but I can't resist to do it again, sorry...

A+!

benjwri and TSims1 like this.
  19. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    So good luck brianr for your project then ! Sorry, I did not noticed the waving bottom shape of the body at first... :oops:

A+!

20. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

SO cool.

21. brianr

brianr Synchromatic

Aug 1, 2014
    palmdale
    It's lookin future is tic

Attached Files: