3 ply vs 5 ply

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by doctorSlo, Dec 21, 2016.

1. emitex

emitex Synchromatic

Aug 21, 2014
    NYC
    Correction. I just compared the ply thickness via the f holes measurements of both my 2016 5420 and recently acquired 2011 6120. Both measured exactly 1/8" thick. So, if 3-ply is 1/8" thick, then the 5420 is 3-ply also, not 5-ply as I mentioned earlier..

Charles Conner likes this.
  2. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    I had a 3ply tone post 6120 RHH and now I have 5ply tone post 5124, from that experience I can tell 3ply is more alive than 5ply.

That's for modern part, now I had also 3ply vintages and these have way more volume unplugged than the RHH... But they're all full hollowbodies so, ... I don't know.

The lower the number of ply you have the closer you get to solid top. And the tone of wood is definitively an important factor to my ears, even for solid body. For instance, I have an interesting Silvertone 1385 which has a construction based on 3ply but the sandwish is 1 thick ply in the middle of 2 very thin plys on each sides... thus, this babe is very close to solid tops' volume.

I made some extensive experiences with fender parts, and neck is the first factor for your tone, second is the body, third are the pickups. If you want to check you can put pickups plate you like the most on the worst body/neck... then you won't like your cherish pickups anymore, and the reverse is also true.

To me, if you like your guitar unplugged, then if it has descent pickups, you will like her plugged.

PS, even if everybody knows : ply (vs solid) are a good solution for both reducing the feedback and prevent from table cracks... So ply are a good thing for you.

audept likes this.
  3. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    -big neck >> way more more volume + more attack
    -maple neck is more volume + more attack >> mahogany neck is round trebles and bassy sound
    -same with slapboards, rosewood is warmer than a maple neck
    -then the body the lighter is the bigger resonnance, the heavier is colder and precise to icepick if it's very heavy one.

4. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    I agree, @j.s.c ,

That's what I discovered between my modded Squier Std Strat 2005 and Fender US Strat 2012.

The rosewood fretboard maple neck of my Squier is not very stable : the relief regularly increases - I think that the wood compresses under the truss rod nut no matter I add washers.

The density of the neck is probably too low, but I'm really hesitating to replace it for fear of killing the excellent tone of my Squier... That made me sell my US 2012 !

A+!

5. mschafft

mschafft Synchromatic

Jan 19, 2017
    Switzerland
    Not sure if that's relevant but I wouldn't change a thing on my stock G54020T.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.