3 ply vs 5 ply

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by doctorSlo, Dec 21, 2016.

1. doctorSlo

doctorSlo Gretschie

Aug 22, 2016
    san luis obispo, CA
    "This single-cut workhorse was designed for the everyday musician in mind. As with all 2016 Electromatic hollow body guitars, the G5240T boasts a 5-ply maple body with aged binding, oversized bound F holes, rosewood-based Adjusto-Matic™ bridge, and Bigsby® B60 tailpiece."

ZackyDog likes this.
  2. emitex

emitex Synchromatic

Aug 21, 2014
    NYC
    My 2016 5420T is 5-ply.

3. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    My 1992 G6122 was 5-ply and 1/4" thick. My 2005 G6122-1962 is 3-ply and 1/8" thick. Going from memory, I would say the latter sounds more resonant.

MikeSchindler likes this.
  4. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    The Electromatics are still 5-ply, pro-lines are 3-ply.

emitex likes this.
  5. Axis39

Axis39 Country Gent

Jun 2, 2008
    Beaumont, CA
    Not arguing... Just quoting what I read:

"FMIC era[edit]
    In late 2002, Gretsch and Fender reached an agreement giving Fender most of the control over marketing, production, and distribution of guitars (although the Gretsch family still owns Gretsch Guitars).[21]

Fender quickly set about improving the line by upgrading substandard electrical components and bringing modern production more closely in line with designs and practices of the classic era. Body and headstock shapes, which on reissues from the 1990s and early 2000s had varied from 1950s-1960s practice, were made more vintage-correct. Hollowbodies were returned to 3-ply construction rather than the 5-plies of the 1990–2002 period. Filtertron double-coil pickups were redesigned by TV Jones to sound more like vintage pickups. Duo Jets were more extensively chambered in accordance with vintage practice. The trestle bracing of the 1959–1961 era was re-introduced on the Setzer line and other selected models." (Bold, italics added by me)

As, I said, after only a minute of research! Not a thorough bit of work at all! LOL (Some day maybe I'll learn to slow down before typing on the Interwebs!)

Now, the article may be referring to just the ProLines (wouldn't surprise me too much). The more I think about it, the more I seem to recall discussions of 3 and 5 ply tops back in the day and Electromatics being discussed as having 5 ply tops. At some point today, I could always go throw calipers through my f-holes and see how thick it is... But, I don't think I'd be able to tell how many plys form looking at the f-holes... as I recall, the paint is kinda thickly globbed over the edges.

6. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Interesting, so the return to 3 ply was mainly inspired by the "vintage correct" goal?

Axis39 likes this.
  7. doctorSlo

doctorSlo Gretschie

Aug 22, 2016
    san luis obispo, CA
    No worries. I didn't know until I read from several sources that Electromatics were 5 ply. I guess I'll have less feedback issues. I seem to get plenty of resonance from my 2016 5420. I can't wait to install my Compton bridge.:)

ZackyDog and Axis39 like this.
  8. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    How much difference can there be between a 3-ply, 1/8" thick guitar, and a 5-ply, 1/8" thick guitar?

9. blc45

blc45 Country Gent

Aug 23, 2011
    nc
    Obliviously enough to generate pages full of comments on the perceived difference. :)

10. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    The answer is pretty simple: the amount of glue ;)

j.s.c and Ricochet like this.
  11. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I cant wait for the vintage correct neck screw! Can relics with shriveled inlays and binding rot be far behind?:D

Stephan likes this.
  12. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    '12 5120 definitely 5 ply, sounds like a Gretsch. 20161225_122612.jpg

ZackyDog, Sonny Strimple and Henry like this.
  13. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Yeees ... not everything, that's vintage correct has an advantage ;)

14. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Yes. I compared the top thickness via the F-holes of my G6119LH and my G5420TLH : these are the same. Both are classic 3-ply construction. Idem - or nearly in thickness - with my G100 and G400.

I had in hands a G3900LH Historic Collection jazz model, and this model had a much thicker top, circa 5-6mm thick, and maybe this one was 5-ply ? I couldn't check because of the binding of the cat's eyes.

Acoustically, it was much less resonant than my G100 Synchromatic, but probably more even in tone response via its floating pickup and less prone to feedback for sure. Plugged, that guitar sounded as jazzy as expected...

A+!

Axis39 likes this.
  15. MikeSchindler

MikeSchindler Synchromatic

Feb 3, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    My 6122 SP is way lighter and sounds a bit better than my older 2000 6122-62. I had the same pickups put in the older one. But...the electronics were different too as was the plys. There are a lot of things including bracing, build, materials that can affect a change in tone from one year to another. I prefer the 3 ply builds..

Axis39 likes this.
  16. Charles Conner

Charles Conner Gretschie

May 19, 2016
    Maryland
    This attached pic is the 5/16" hole (volume control removed) on my 5120, KS08xxxxxx, 2008. The top is 1/8" thick. It appears to be 3 ply to me. I am completely satisfied with the guitar no matter what material was used. It sounds good and plays well. I researched the Gretsch Co., the Samick Co., and the 5120 guitar before making the decision to buy. I read about FMIC era Gretsch changes for the better, etc. I read the (old 2008) specs in the guitar's advertisement. I seem to remember 3 ply tops mentioned on this model but I'm not 100% sure. I know the ads (now) say "All Electromatics ARE 5 ply". Gretsch hole.jpg I'm happy with the guitar and I just want to know what I really have. P.S. .. I bought it "used" a little over a year ago. It looked new and it still had the piece of foam under the bridge. Ya think someone upgraded a 61xx to a 51xx? LOL

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
    Sonny Strimple likes this.
  17. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Obliviously? Obviously?

Golly gee wiz, Bobbykins, it's not oblivious or obvious to me. ;)

18. blc45

blc45 Country Gent

Aug 23, 2011
    nc
    Spell check ain't what it used to be:(

19. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Amazing to see 5 plies within 1/8" wood thickness.

20. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    It's spelled correctly, but we need better AI before we get "intent" check.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.