3 Pickup 6193

Howitt

Electromatic
Oct 16, 2020
Huntington Station, NY
I am not too knowledgeable about Gretsch instruments, but I'm fairly observant and can't remember ever having seen a 1950's Gretsch with 3 pickups.

Here's some pictures I lifted from a FB Market page listing for a vintage 6193. The owner says it is factory original.

B3QMPeB.jpg

9NchjyB.png

SHMAW1a.jpg

If anyone is interested I'll find the listing itself, and if you are one Facebook you'll be able to open it.

Regards,
Howard Emerson

Last edited:

Howitt

Electromatic
Oct 16, 2020
Huntington Station, NY
For those who have FB accounts, here's the link to the instrument. It's on the south shore of Long Island in Wantagh.

Happy hunting!

HE

Henry

I Bleed Orange
Apr 9, 2014
Petaluma
Interesting that original three pickup versions are out there. Good to know that they do exist.
Iirc back in the day you could have Gretsch customize or special order, which may be the story behind this one.

Funny, sometimes people forget that I believe the best selling (or aleast among rhe best selling) guitar style (strat) has 3 pickups. No one ever seems to question why 3 are needed on an S style guitar.

Pemberton

Electromatic
May 4, 2022
Pennsylvania, USA
(strat) has 3 pickups. No one ever seems to question why 3 are needed on an S style guitar.
Yes, now that you point that out, you’re right. I guess because it’s a solid body and the pickups are smaller, plus it’s been that way since the beginning, nobody thinks twice about it. But you don’t see it as often on a big hollowbody, and three pickups are much more noticeable.

TeleRooo

Electromatic
Mar 19, 2017
Tiger Mt.
Maybe it doesn't look so crowded on a Strat because they are Single Coils not Humbuckers. To me on a Gretsch 6120, a third pickup just doesn't look or seem necessary. IMHO. I remember solid bodies guitars with 5 or 6 pickups and a dozen switches and knobs. Mainly from Japan late 40's thru the early 60's. I always thought they were ugly and their necks were terrible and they were heavy. Just IMHO. Pawn Shops were full of them. I think David Lindley and Ry Cooder and those folks used to collect and play them.

drmilktruck

I Bleed Orange
May 17, 2009
Plymouth, MN
Maybe it doesn't look so crowded on a Strat because they are Single Coils not Humbuckers. To me on a Gretsch 6120, a third pickup just doesn't look or seem necessary. IMHO. I remember solid bodies guitars with 5 or 6 pickups and a dozen switches and knobs. Mainly from Japan late 40's thru the early 60's. I always thought they were ugly and their necks were terrible and they were heavy. Just IMHO. Pawn Shops were full of them. I think David Lindley and Ry Cooder and those folks used to collect and play them.
1653526585825.png

Henry

I Bleed Orange
Apr 9, 2014
Petaluma
The guitar we are talking about has single coils too. Second pickups aren't necessary. Let alone second guitars and in most cases any guitar for that matter. Necessity is not a necessity in art IMO

That is spectacular and super cool. I have a '56 Country Club that is the best vintage Gretsch I've ever played, if that's anything to go by.

I always wondered why you never see 3-pickup Gretsch guitars and this is the first one I've seen.

BCRatRod73

Gretschie
Sep 1, 2020
Mississippi
Not sure why anyone would need three pickups and a dozen knobs and switches, but I like everything else about it, especially the warm-honey natural finish.
27AED429-2C25-45E8-B03F-28EE77360B90.jpeg
Here’s my Riviera P93. Visually the design is a little busy for my tastes, but the versatility of the three pickups is amazing. Once the metal covers were off the tone improved. Overall, I can get so many tones out of this guitar. Epiphone did the controls just right. I dislike lots of knobs and switches as it gets to be a busy design.

Randy99CL

Country Gent
Feb 17, 2020
Albuquerque
I wonder how all that magnetic pull on the strings affects the sound.

I've seen some reviews of single-pickup guitars where they raved about things like increased sustain and feeling stronger string vibrations in the body of the guitar.
No one ever seems to question why 3 are needed on an S style guitar.
Without three pickups we wouldn't have positions 2 and 4 and the most iconic Strat sound.
I wonder why other 3-pickup guitars don't quack???

Last edited: