3 movies

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by 5120mantis, Aug 6, 2020.

1. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Three of Gilliam's movies are classics to me:
    "Brazil"
    "Life of Brian"
    "Holy Grail"

Robert De Niro has a great bit part in "Brazil", and an even funnier one in "Stardust".

Mel Brooks has three classics as well:
    "The Producers"
    "Blazing Saddles"
    "Young Frankenstein"
    The first two probably couldn't be made today.

Surprise vocals in film:
    Clint Eastwood and Lee Marvin in "Paint Your Wagon".
    All three male leads in "Mama Mia".

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
    5120mantis and MrWookiee like this.
  2. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    yeah, i don't think anyone in the movies calls them zombies until Dawn of the dead. I think Romero is the only director who had his trilogy remade.

Attached Files:

calebaaron666 likes this.
  3. bone

bone Gretschie

Aug 9, 2020
    here

4. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    True, but aside from Tom Savini’s remake of Night of The Living Dead in 1990 (which Romero wrote and produced), the other remakes can all go back from whence they came.
    With very very few exceptions, the horror remake trend of the 00’s produced mostly turds.

wabash slim, MrWookiee and 5120mantis like this.
  5. bone

bone Gretschie

Aug 9, 2020
    here
    let's try this again..

it still retains it's creep eons later!

thought I'd show my 10 year old boy a classic when he started getting into the scary (Goosebumps) stuff and fired this up a late weekend eve.. i was getting into it and had forgotten how unsettling the flick was.. when i finally realized it, i looked over and his eyes were dinner plates.. "Wanna watch some Toy Story, boy? YES, DADDY!:eek:"

maybe should have started with Frankenstein..

Randy99CL, MrWookiee and 5120mantis like this.
  6. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    I never saw the Day Remake, even if the Charecter of Captain Rhodes is or isn't in it, that is Joe Pilato's Role, lock stock and two smoking barrels, choke on em!
    An ex girlfriend got the remake of Dawn, she complained that while she wanted to get it for me, it only came in a 2 pack with a movie known as Shaun of the Dead, some one told us to skip the remake and watch this Shaun of the dead, which to me looked like college kids trying to flip a buck from the cover, boy was i wrong! One of my favorites, the dawn remake was boring.
    Savini's night remake held up, and thats how they got the rights to the film back.

MrWookiee and calebaaron666 like this.
  7. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Yes, Shaun is a fun movie.
    The Dawn remake is useless. Never bothered with the Day remake.
    The 1990 version of Night is copy rite protected, but the original is still and will forever remain in the public domain. I’m sure that sucks for the writers/producers and everything, but I think it’s fitting that it belongs to the people.
    That’s why whenever characters are watching a horror movie IN a horror movie, 90% of the time it’s Night of the Living Dead because it’s free to use.

8. MrWookiee

MrWookiee Gretschie

Jun 17, 2020
    SoCal, USA
    I have family who live in the town where the original NOTLD was filmed (much of it, anyway). The area has changed very little since then, other than the absence of ghouls.

9. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Synchromatic

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    I lived right across the state border in the Youngstown area when the movie was released.

Funny story (at least to me): I was a teenager and a few of my friends and I went to the drive-in to see NOTLD and I had no idea of what to expect (other than a horror movie).
    They had benches set up close to the screen and we decided to sit in those, IOW outside in the open.
    Horror is not my favorite genre of movies and I can't remember ever feeling so vulnerable in my life. Scared witless! Really wanted to crawl back to the car and lock the doors.
    When the actors get the TV working and they are listing safe places they could go they showed Youngstown! That was so weird.

I've always felt a strange connection to that movie, but never any interest in seeing the sequels.
    I think it was actually well filmed and well written for a low-budget movie. I don't know that I'd seen any before that where all the main characters were dead at the end.

10. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    My horror movie favorites are the Vincent Price/Edgar Allen Poe films (Masque of the Red Death is great! All taken from a two and a half page short story). The Hammer horror series from England is another great series. Then, there are the original classics from Universal. Just watch Svengoolie for those. After a hitch in a combat zone, I don't have much of a taste for the horror genre beyond those. The chop & slash and jump scare stuff is garbage.

MrWookiee, bone and calebaaron666 like this.
  11. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Not to split hairs, but one of the factors that set Hammer films apart from what was being made in the USA at the time was their “chop and slash”. They were among the first films in the late 50’s to show blood in vibrant color, and almost all of them feature at least one beheading!
    I’m partial to the ones featuring Ingrid Pitt, The Vampire Lovers and Countess Dracula. They continue to give me a special feeling.

MrWookiee likes this.
  12. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Synchromatic

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    I've just never liked horror movies but they can be fun when in a group of people, like a movie party.

The original Alien is the first I wanted to see more than once. Then John Carpenter's The Thing, wow that one is still amazing!
    I love the first Zombieland movie but haven't seen the second yet.

MrWookiee likes this.
  13. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    The Hammer stuff didn't overdo it tho. I still hold the Poe/Price stuff and the early B&W Universal stuff as my faves.

new6659, MrWookiee and calebaaron666 like this.
  14. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I love that stuff too. Roger Corman is an American treasure.
    When we took a trip to Hollyweird a few years back his was the only star in the Blvd that I was truly excited about!
    E7D37616-BCED-4381-A56A-9B08EB45F144.jpeg

15. bone

bone Gretschie

Aug 9, 2020
    here
    +1

we have a lot in common my friend..

wabash slim likes this.
  16. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Great minds, etc. ....

17. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    understandable, Tom Savini, who assisted on Night of the Living Dead, and was in Charge for Dawn was a combat photographer and took inspiration for his makeup from that time.
    I never served, i'm proud of those who have, i can't even imagine what that would be like.

wabash slim likes this.
  18. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    The worst part of the slasher Genre are the sequels, i feel it's a one trick pony.
    Psycho was more of a thriller, but it launched and inspired most of those, even that was marred by sequels that were pure horror, as in a horror to watch because they are terrible.
    Romero's trilogy has a very loose continuity, and plays on social issues of the eras they were made in. Also, Night Of the Living dead is bold for the time, an African American lead at the height of the 60s civil rights movement.

bone and MrWookiee like this.
  19. bone

bone Gretschie

Aug 9, 2020
    here
    don't know if it's made it in this chat but the Black Mirror series (Netflix) is SUPERB!

skip the choose your own ?movie/event? bandersnatch.. not horrible, but nowhere near the quality of the series

MrWookiee likes this.
  20. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Mostly, it was a PITA.

5120mantis likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.