2x10 bassman cab

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by cowmoo, Sep 5, 2020.

1. cowmoo

cowmoo Country Gent

Aug 19, 2011
    North Wales
    I was thinking of a mix of gold and a jensen.
    I will look into the emi’s!
    I have v30’s in a 2x12. They’re good for playing loud but i’d prefer something to make my amp sound more like a smaller Fender.
    @swivel in the uk mate, the quote i have for one like that above minus hardle, badge, legs and speakers is £235 so not too bad.

swivel likes this.
  2. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

I can make one for you for whatever the parts cost, as its you.......prob about £120 at a quick guess. Only problem is I'm a bit backed up at the mo and it'll be a couple of months before I could get it done.

Hammerhands and cowmoo like this.
  3. cowmoo

cowmoo Country Gent

Aug 19, 2011
    North Wales
    @markeebee
    Now that’s an offer!!
    Let me know when you’re taking orders!!
    Meanwhile i’ll try and get some alnicos in this ext cab if i can get a baffle made.
    That way if i think it sounds poo.... maybe a 1x12 like Tony has.. i’d get to use the other OT tap then!;)

4. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    That is a very generous offer from Mark. If I had it to do over I would have gone for the 2x10" as it just sounds more complex. And I would go with the Emi over the Celestion although both sounded excellent - simply because the Emi is half the price on this side of the pond. It may be different in Wales.

Another 10" that sounds great is the alnico Jensen P10R. It has become the standard in my Vibrolux Reverbs and two of them sound terrific. They are not terribly efficient but good enough to get loud and with a Bassman, you have some extra horsepower anyway. I haven't tried them with my 61 Bassman but a few minutes with my magic alligator clip speaker cable could change that.

Would you like me to try it and tell you how it sounds? I can do the same with a pair of Emi 1028K alnicos too?

cowmoo likes this.
  5. cowmoo

cowmoo Country Gent

Aug 19, 2011
    North Wales
    If it won’t be a hassle Tony i’d like to know how the Jensens behave. Thanks.
    I have a2x12 with a pair of p12r.
    I like them. They are just capable of handling almost all the grunt in the amp, but they are light. The cab is half the weight of the v30 loaded one.

6. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    No hassle at all. I'll do it today.

cowmoo likes this.
  7. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    OK. Done, as promised.

Results: The twin Jensen P10R alnicos sound wonderful. These are really excellent speakers. Lows and midranges are very nice and quite balanced. Highs are bright and sparkly with lots of cut. The lower efficiency level takes the volume down some but on the Bassman, you have tons of headroom to spare.

Next, I'll try the Emi 1028K alnicos and see how they sound.

cowmoo likes this.
  8. cowmoo

cowmoo Country Gent

Aug 19, 2011
    North Wales
    Thanks!!!
    How’s the bottom end at volume?
    Any fartyness?
    I can deal with something too bright but that low end fart just can’t be dialled out.

9. cowmoo

cowmoo Country Gent

Aug 19, 2011
    North Wales
    Saying that i guess 10’s are tighter in the lows anyway.

10. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The lows are quite firm. Very percussive on the bridge pickup and full and round on the neck pickup. Now, I have to buy a 2x10" baffle for the amp too. I like it better than the 12". LOL

cowmoo likes this.
  11. cowmoo

cowmoo Country Gent

Aug 19, 2011
    North Wales
    Send the dimensions i’ll get two made haha;)

Tony65x55 likes this.
  12. cowmoo

cowmoo Country Gent

Aug 19, 2011
    North Wales
    Tony65x55 likes this.
  13. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    OK, done with the Eminence 1028K alnicos.

Guess what?

They sounded pretty great too. I think I liked the Jensens a wee bit better but the Emis are certainly more efficient. Unsurprisingly, both sets of alnicos shared a lot of the same goodness. Smooth round bottom (I like that) and a firm middle with a beautiful top end and yes - you pervs - I am describing speakers.

Enjoy Cowmoo!

cowmoo and new6659 like this.
  14. cowmoo

cowmoo Country Gent

Aug 19, 2011
    North Wales
    @Tony65x55 Thanks so much for testing the options you have, maybe a mix of the two or similar, as long as the efficiency mis match is tolerable.
    Looks like it will be at least another 6 months before anything happens with gigs over here.
    Plenty of time to decide!!
    Thanks!!!!

Tony65x55 likes this.
  15. journeyman

journeyman Gretschie

Aug 20, 2009
    Toronto, Ontario
    I put a Tremolux head in a 2 x 10 Mather cab. He does great work; fit like a glove. Keep in mind that closed back cabs produce more bass, so when putting the head into an open back cab, you might want to change the circuit to allow more bass to come through. It was a simple change; one resistor, I think. We matched the resistor value with that of a BF Vibrolux Reverb. Just something to keep in mind if you notice that there is too little bass response after going from the closed back to open.

cowmoo likes this.
  16. nrw_guitar

nrw_guitar Gretschie

Aug 19, 2012
    kettwig
    cowmoo likes this.
  17. cowmoo

cowmoo Country Gent

Aug 19, 2011
    North Wales
    @journeyman
    It’s ok, this smp has tons of bass!! Too much sometimes!!
    @nrw_guitar
    I’ve got a cab made by AF. 2x12 in blonde with v30”s. Have it for sale on here as i also have a mojotone.. too many cabs not enough amps!

18. cowmoo

cowmoo Country Gent

Aug 19, 2011
    North Wales
    I’ve bought a couple of 10”s off the bay.
    A Jensen p10r and a Celestion ten 30.
    They were cheap and used so i’ll get a baffle sorted when they arrive and see how well they behave.
    Pretty close with the db’s but 25/30 watt may be a mismatch i notice?
    We’ll see!

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
  19. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    I wouldn't worry about the mismatch. That P10R is a sweet speaker.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.