2622T-P90 Stupid Deal of the Day

Discussion in 'Streamliner Gretsch Forum' started by davenumber2, May 20, 2020.

1. capnhiho

capnhiho Synchromatic

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    I’ll bet it doesn’t stay up long!

2. davenumber2

davenumber2 Gretschie

Nov 1, 2019
    Columbia, MO
    Yeah, I have too many guitars already or I would jump on this. If it's anything like the standard 2622T I have the quality should be great.

3. capnhiho

capnhiho Synchromatic

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    I’m not crazy about the P90’s but I was thinking “Hmmmm.... Pup swap?”
    But I don’t “need” another project and I’m turned off by the extra weight of the center block.

4. Jeff67

Jeff67 Synchromatic

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    I wish they'd do that with the Gunmetal or CAR models- might have to figure out how to make it happen. Just not that crazy about the Phantom metallic.

5. No case. The moderator will stop by soon.

section2, thunder58 and Merc like this.
  6. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Gretschie

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    I seriously considered buying that exact guitar when it was on sale at GC for $499 three weeks ago but passed on it. Doesn't exactly fit my plan of what I need.
    But I slept in today then tried to order one for $400 but they're sold out. You snooze you lose. LOL

Update: And they must have sold out of the Hagstroms and now the SD is a Jackson shredder. Great deal, $275 off, good looking guitar and I'm tempted.

Last edited: May 20, 2020
  7. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Gretschie

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    Aha!
    This guitar was on sale at GC for $500 a month or so ago and I almost bought one. Regular price is $600 and it is a GC special as those colors aren't on the Gretsch website.

Then I missed the Stupid Deal on Wed when it didn't last long.

I was checking MF a little while ago and it's on sale again for $400, unadvertised. Only the Phantom Metallic is on sale.
    https://www.musiciansfriend.com/gui...tion-streamliner-center-block-p90-with-bigsby

I love the Candy Red with Gold version but is it worth paying $200 more for a different color??
    I already own the G2622 that is my avatar, is it worth $400 to get the Bigsby and P-90s?

Merc and Groutsch like this.
  8. Groutsch

Groutsch Gretschie

Jun 9, 2018
    Maryland, US
    Dang, Randy, you're keeping us in suspense!

9. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Gretschie

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    Didn't mean to do that, I was actually just thinking out loud! LOL!

I went ahead and ordered one. I've been looking at that model for a month and decided that:
    1. I would love to have one and
    2. I would regret not getting one at that price.
    3. I love the sound of single-coils and don't yet have any P-90s.

I may give my current G2622 to my brother, or maybe not.

And 4. That is the perfect combination to paint. I love artist-painted guitars (with graphics) and that satin silver with plastic pup covers will be easy to paint and will look great.

Merc and Groutsch like this.
  10. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Too late , by almost a week ...... link brings me to todays Stupid deal of the day . 2 guitar wall hangers . Just as well , I'd have to buy 2 guitars to really make it a deal ;)

11. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Gretschie

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    Gretsch G2622 P-90 $500 2.jpg
    I don't understand what these posts are talking about.
    But if someone wants one of these guitars, they are on sale right now for $399.99, the same price they were when a Stupid Deal. Reg $599.99 with P-90s.
    https://www.musiciansfriend.com/gui...tion-streamliner-center-block-p90-with-bigsby

Last edited: May 26, 2020
    thunder58 likes this.
  12. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Gretschie

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    Update...I ordered this guitar 7 days ago and the website said "processing" all week until today when it changed to "backordered." This guitar is a GC/MF-only special model (paint) so I was disappointed. They probably won't get any more.

I called and the MF rep I talked with was interesting. Turns out they work for both companies, GC and MF but they can only access one computer system at a time and can't switch. But MF is out of those guitars.

So I had to hang up and call the GC number, LOL! The GC rep said they had plenty of them in stock and they would match the $399.99 price, great! It's on the way and I had it shipped to the local store so I don't have to sit around all day waiting for UPS (as I've written about in a shipping thread).

But wow this call got interesting. For months I've watched their Gibson LP Studio Tribute 2019 as the price has dropped and it's been $929 for a while now. That is the least expensive Gibson Les Paul by a mile.
    I suspected they wouldn't have any left in stock but they do. I suspected they didn't have any new-in-box and he said maybe one or two. Now I was getting excited and all my common sense went out the window.
    I suspected they wouldn't give me the 10% Veteran's discount but they did, WOW!
    And today is the first of the month, my money showed up in my account last night at 12:01.

So I pulled the trigger, the order was finalized and is in the system. I didn't really need another guitar but I've wanted a real Gibson and getting one of these for a decent price is exciting!

I started saying I was done buying guitars about 5 guitars ago, but this one fills a big hole I didn't think my budget would allow.
    I've learned to keep my fingers crossed until it's in my hands but I have a good feeling and will know more tomorrow.
    5 Gibson LP $836.jpg
    4 Gibson LP $836.jpg

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
    blueruins and Jeff67 like this.
  13. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Yeah, GC manages Musicians Friend. Although I believe it’s even the same warehouse. My FSR G6228 was on sale at Musicians Friend, free shipping, and tax free to my state. So I actually saved around $450 when I bought it. :)

Am I reading it right that you have two guitars inbound?

14. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    I worked for the MF’ers during the nineties and could tell you how and why they were acquired. Couldn’t have happened to a more clueless bunch of (insert your family friendly adjective of choice)!
    They are much better off being part of GC.

15. Jeff67

Jeff67 Synchromatic

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    Looks like they've moved this to clearance, but apparently the Phantom Metallic is the only one going for $399. The Gunmetal still shows $599.

16. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Gretschie

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    This is a case of one hand not knowing what the other is doing. Again, yesterday my order went to "backordered" status and the phone rep told me they were out. So they need to take it off the website.
    If anyone does want one, GC will price match and their phone rep said they have "some" in stock, though not a lot.
    And yes, I've got one on order.

I want this color because I'm going to airbrush a "WWII Nose Art" graphic on it. I'm not an artist but am experienced with an airbrush and masking techniques. I can paint the plastic pup covers so should look really good.
    My design will be simpler without so much artistry but something like one of these:
    Gretsch Bomber Art 3.jpg

Jeff67 likes this.
  17. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Gretschie

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    As I understand it, GC owns MF and they are run separately and don't share inventory. But the GC guy said his advantage is that they can pull from all the stores and their warehouses. MF has one store and one warehouse??? IDK
    But MF has their Reward Points program that is money in the bank so I'll always try to buy from them first.

Yes I'm nuts but I did order the LP yesterday too. I didn't plan on spending that much right now but I really want that Gibson. I planned to get a real LP at some point and if not that one (for $837) I'd be up around $1500+.

Merc likes this.
  18. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Gretschie

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    Can I talk about that Les Paul for a moment?

Back in January GC had a sale on Epiphone LPs. I looked at all their many models and picked the Traditional Pro III Plus because it is one of two models that have US-made Gibson Classic '57 pickups. Those pickups list for around $175 each so I bought a $600 guitar with $300+ worth of pups, wow!
    The Gibson LP I ordered yesterday has the 490 HBs, decent but reviews like the '57s more and those '57s are only standard in the more expensive models. I know I love the sound of those '57s!
    The Gibson has no push-pulls while the Epi has coil-split and phase reversing p-p switches.

So I am going to transfer the Classic '57s from the Epi to the Gibson and hand-wire it with CTS pots and orange drop caps. And I will wire it for coil-split and phase reversal so that is a big upgrade. I'll transfer the Gibson 490s to the Epi.

The Gibson has a nitro finish, cool. But I'm not crazy about the colors so I may refinish the top by overspraying the brown edges with a red tint. And I prefer a gloss top so will check into polishing it and leaving the rest satin.

I like "bare bones" just fine and don't care about the bindings or fancier inlays that the costlier models come with. I often prefer the less-decorated version of things.
    And BTW, this Gibson has the weight-relieved body and a maple neck. The maple is new and normally much stronger than mahogany so may not break quite as easily.

This is the Epi Trad Pro III Plus in Trans Black. Nice flame maple top but came a with a little green tint that I didn't expect but like. I thought the original color combo clashed so replaced a bunch of parts to black it out and love the way it looks now. 3 Epiphone Traditional III Pro Plus LE Les Paul Trans Black.jpg Body A.JPG Headstock 1A.JPG

Merc, new6659 and Jeff67 like this.
  19. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Gretschie

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    Because it's fun to share the adventure!

First a recap; I ordered this Gretsch G2622T P-90 on the 25th of last month from Musicians' Friend for $399.99. The order status was "Processing" for 7 days, then it changed to "Backordered" last Monday. This guitar is a special edition that's only sold by GC and MF so I didn't expect they'll get any more in. I called MF and she verified they had none in stock and couldn't predict when they'd get any.
    I called GC, they had it in stock and price-matched so I placed the order. I planned to cancel the MF order but didn't feel I had to rush.

I'd rather buy from MF because they give reward points that are surprisingly valuable. I have spent about $450 there (without this order) and have $66 in points pending. I bought two "Stupid Deals": a G&L guitar marked down from $500 to $300 and a case reduced to $80 from $140 and they are giving me $66 in credit, wow!

So this morning I planned to call MF to cancel the order but when I checked it had changed to "Processing" again! I called and she said the guitar is in stock, addressed to me and is waiting for UPS pickup! Great!!

Now I need to call GC to cancel that order. I called, waited on hold for a while and left my number for a call-back.
    No call back three hours later when I checked my email and GC has shipped the guitar!
    So I checked the MF website and that one has shipped too!

I've written here that I like to have things from GC shipped to the store so I don't have to sit around waiting for UPS. They send an email when it arrives and I live less than 15 min away, I pick it up at my convenience.
    The MF guitar is coming to my apartment.

So I'm OK as I can hopefully get the one from MF and check it out, then when the GC order arrives at the store I can cancel it.

I don't like to cost any company money. For example, I've heard of people who will order multiple items then open and try them and return all but the one they like. They are ripping the company off for shipping charges and open-box losses.
    But I don't feel bad about this one as I won't open the box and the order is going to a store where they can sell it. No return shipping charges or any other losses.

Edit: The tracking emails came in and both guitars are supposed to show up on Friday, great! Now I wish they would ship the Les Paul.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
    Merc likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.