2420T - any recommendations - except 'spend more money'!

Discussion in 'Streamliner Gretsch Forum' started by flip, Oct 13, 2020.

1. fa57

fa57 Electromatic

Jul 26, 2020
    NJ
    Yes G2420T in Walnut stain was at $299! on SD for one hour yesterday.

2. fa57

fa57 Electromatic

Jul 26, 2020
    NJ
    Streamliner series is made in Indonesia not Korea, just for the record. By the way, the presumption that everything made far East is not good or inferior is rubbish. I have three made in USA Gibson Les Pauls whose quality control is uneven. The quality issues should be unacceptable at their high price. But of course as we know we sometimes pay premium to get that brand or certain model experience. I do have some of that too. The three Streamliners that I have must have had far better quality control, as their finish is excellent. Yes there is tuning instability due to bigsby but that is an inherent issue by the virtue of that mechanism, which can be minimized with mods. G2420T is a very sensible purchase.

pmac11 and sgarnett like this.
  3. sgarnett

sgarnett Gretschie

Apr 14, 2020
    Kentucky
    Oops, as @fa57 said, the Streamliners are made in Indonesia, not Korea. I updated my last post accordingly.

4. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Synchromatic

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    I've got a pair of Streamliners (G2622s) and the quality is fantastic, especially for the fairly low price. I'd like to get a G2420 just to play and play with. The necks and setup are good, they sound good enough (but I'd like to upgrade the pickups) and the finishes are fantastic.
    I don't need one, just something fun to play around with, and they are a steal at the sale prices. Even better because I'd get the hard tail, I have enough Bigsbys.

5. flip

flip Electromatic

Jun 22, 2020
    Manchester UK
    Thanks for the suggestions. However, this one has me puzzled. I understand the philosophy of the zero fret but doesn't this affect the tuning of the fretboard? I've always understood the space between one fret and the next is is original distance divided by 17.817. If that's correct doesn't the zero fret device you recommend reduce the original space between nut and the first fret?

In case this sounds like I can actually measure that accurately or even worse saw a piece of wood with that precision, I can't.

Incidentally I was in my usual retailer this morning and looked at a 2420T they had on display and frankly the colour and the finish was absolutely knockout. Managed to resist taking out my over-used plastic there and then!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
  6. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    "A Gretsch ! My kingdom for a Gretsch" (Shakespeare, Richard III)
    "Only a Gretsch is good enough" (Gibson ad)
    "You will never part with your Gretsch either" (Fender ad)
    "That Great Gretsch Sound" (Gretsch ad)
    "That Great Gretsch Look" (me :D)
    "A guitar, that's good - A Gretsch, that's better" (me again :rolleyes:)

Sure ! And if the G2420 was available in LH with some Fancy colors, I would have bought one (at least) :)... But no... :(

@flip : I have Gretsch from the 3 origins of today - Japan, Korea, China :

Below, from L to R :
    - 1991 (pre-FMIC era) Gretsch G400 Synchromatic from the Terada factory, Japan.
    - 2008 Gretsch G100 Synchromatic from the Samick factory, Korea.

[​IMG]

Below, in Blue :
    - 2019 Gretsch G5420TLH-FBL from the Samick factory, Korea
    In Red :
    - 2008 (post FMIC takeover) 125Th anniv. Gretsch G6119TLH from the Terada factory, Japan

[​IMG]

Below :
    - 2014 Gretsch G5622TLH-SRF-GRN (10 made) from the Samick Factory, Korea.

[​IMG]

Below :
    - 2018 Gretsch G5220LH-DCM (modded) from the Yako factory, China.

[​IMG]

To sum up :

Yes, I am a Lefty Gretsch fan, but reasonably, I can tell that none of my Gretsch is intrisically superior to the other, no matter the origin. I use them all on reharsal and on stage, each one at their turn, or simply because of the venue, the color, the mood of the day ! ;)

I do not have Streamliner model yet - simply because I want a 2420 LH and it doesn't exist :(, but I don't see any reasons to consider them as inferior - moreover considering the good to excellent advices from G-T members and from local owners that I know - heard play - and took their (RH) Streamliners in hands personnally.

But it's me, OK ? :D

A+!

7. SAguitar

SAguitar Gretschie

Jan 17, 2020
    Oregon
    Beautiful collection!

hcsterg likes this.
  8. Scamp

Scamp Electromatic

Feb 22, 2018
    California
    That model has sure been on sale lately..MF had it in their SD of the Hour the other day and all the other stores have it on sale .

9. ALS57

ALS57 Gretschie

Jun 17, 2019
    London
    the fret is set back in the nut so the fret crown is in line with the edge of what would have been the old nut. No tuning issues that I can notice

10. flip

flip Electromatic

Jun 22, 2020
    Manchester UK
    And of course you're absolutely correct. I apologise for my query - somewhere along the line I got it in my head that the zero fret glide was a) reversible and b) could be done by me. I watched the installation video and all along realised I wasn't going to have the confidence to put one on my HD-28!

However, I can fully appreciate how the sound may change and it gives me a clue as to why some manufacturers adopted the zero fret concept from the outset. It never occurred to me that it means all the strings at all fret positions are running metal over metal eg I have an old German guitar (possibly an Isana or a copy) with one.

11. sgarnett

sgarnett Gretschie

Apr 14, 2020
    Kentucky
    Nut theories and preferences come and go. Some love the zero fret; some hate it. Some see the nut on the Streamliners as far better quality than the junk that used to ship on lower-end guitars. Some still like the brass nuts that were popular for awhile. Some, such as Brian Setzer, prefer an old-school Delrin nut over bone, synthetic bone, OR a zero fret. That’s why the nut on my Setzer signature 6120 Smoke is arguably inferior, some might say, to the nut on my 2420 (though the 6120 Delrin nut was impeccably set up, while the synthetic bone on the 2420 needed some touchup).

12. Mark W

Mark W Country Gent

Jun 6, 2008
    Central Florida
    I used to routinely change the nuts out to first bone and then later on GraphTech Tusque. Now I just make sure whatever nut comes stock is cut and cleaned properly and if not fixable I change it out to a GraphTech. I also really like brass nuts but if it ain't broke...

capnhiho likes this.
  13. FiveAces

FiveAces Electromatic

Mar 1, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Although I haven't bought a 2420 yet, I've tried many (just waiting for finances to improve) and for the price they are incredibly good! They remind me of my early G5120 Electromatic (MIK). I did swap some parts over time like the PG, Pickups (newer BT FilterTrons) and added a Jack plate (added durability) for my personal taste, but none of them were really necessary. The quality is indeed evident, but the final polish (setup, nut, neck relief, string height, etc.) are still needed in varying degrees. I expect that for the price point they are, but most of the hardware is reliably functional! Parts like knobs, PG are cheap & easy ways to customize as your own. Selective taste like sound (pickups) are subjective to your taste in tone, so ultimately it's your personal choice. But the affordability leaves room for swapping pickups later if you decide it's preferred (as I did with my 5120). You can't go wrong with a Gretsch Streamliner! You can make what you want of it without coming close to breaking the bank.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020 at 1:39 AM
    sgarnett likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.