2022 Electromatics and Streamliners

GenghisBomb

Electromatic
Sep 26, 2021
Canada
It's *really* rotten of them to discontinue the critically acclaimed G5420, in favor of moving production to China, downgrading to a Laurel fretboard, and only dropping the price $50. This feels like a price hike, in the form of "making the chip bag smaller for the same price". The new 5420 looks like a Streamliner sold at Electromatic price to me. I was considering getting a "real" Gretsch to compliment my 2622-P90, but I guess the threshold for "real" Gretsch's just moved up to the Player series.

Sorry to be negative, but after seeing the Fender price hikes earlier this month, I thought Squier and Gretsch would be immune to it, being imports, and thus having a *much* higher profit margin. This feels like exploitation to me.

Wwww

Jan 27, 2022
New york
I bought a electromatic awhile ago ever got any troubles with the jack input or any electrical I fixed for about a 100$ it never worked gretschy no more I flung it got a grote no trouble

BorderRadio

Country Gent
Mar 6, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
The new Electros are still not Streamliners, regardless of moving to IL fretboards. Nobody is immune from the current state of market.

Two years ago I thought FMIC might move up Electros to higher mid-tier (keeping the rosewood board) and all they had to do was implement HS Filtertron and Dyna-styles in their MIK production line. Back then I'd see a price like 1.2 or 1.3 k as 'respectable'. They could keep the MIJ line stocked with TVJs across the board to differentiate. Moot stuff, but I'm pretty sure we know why any ideas like these sunk since then.

sgarnett

Synchromatic
Apr 14, 2020
Kentucky
I tried a 5427 at GC, and thought the IL fretboard looked very much like rosewood. The 5420, on the other hand use "compressed" rosewood (possibly resin-impregnated). The 5427 did not in any way feel like a downgrade. I'm also quite happy with my two MIC 562x Speysides. I only walked out (reluctantly) without the 5427 because I'm renovating my house, and I may yet go back.

dspellman

Gretschie
Jul 4, 2020
Los Angeles
I picked up a used Streamliner 2420T on a whim several months ago. I've also got a G5222 Electromatic. Aside from the hardware, I really don't see a whole lot of difference in the quality of construction. I ended up replacing one of the BroadTrons on the G5222 with a TV Jones Classic Plus, but have so far left the BroadTrons on the Streamliner alone.

BorderRadio

Country Gent
Mar 6, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
I picked up a used Streamliner 2420T on a whim several months ago. I've also got a G5222 Electromatic. Aside from the hardware, I really don't see a whole lot of difference in the quality of construction. I ended up replacing one of the BroadTrons on the G5222 with a TV Jones Classic Plus, but have so far left the BroadTrons on the Streamliner alone.

I demo'd six Streamliner G2420s before I found one with the largest neck. They all had flawed purfling. The binding on Electros is better than that, even though Electro hollowbodies are not masked very well around the floating fretboard section: I notice overspray there on all models I played, going back to G51xx versions. The G5420/G5422 f-holes are bound as well, so that's extra time on spent on each guitar. I do agree, since I've husked both a G5420T and G2420, the 'bones' of both models are pretty solid and similar outside of wood choices and bracing style.

sgarnett

Synchromatic
Apr 14, 2020
Kentucky
One key difference between the 2420 and 2410 and the Electromatic versions is that the Streamliners have tonebar bracing (no soundpost at all). Last I looked, the website listed sound post bracing for the 2410, but the one I just looked at a week ago definitely did NOT have a sound post. Whether that is good or bad is a matter of taste. The tonebar bracing is loud and responsive, with a distinctive voice (which I like), but it is also more sensitive to feedback.

Of course, that does not apply to the centerblock models.

Skeezix

Oct 6, 2017
CT
Looking at the GC website today I see they have the latest G5420 models (4 different colors) available for preorder at US$799.00. The specifications appear identical to the Chinese-made G5427 including the “FT-5E” pickups and laurel fingerboard. When you zoom in on the back of the headstock, it doesn’t show the country of manufacture. I assume these will be from China, rather than Korea. I also assume that the “FT-5E” pickups are just Chinese-sourced versions of the Korean BT Filtertrons.

sgarnett

Synchromatic
Apr 14, 2020
Kentucky
Looking at the GC website today I see they have the latest G5420 models (4 different colors) available for preorder at US$799.00. The specifications appear identical to the Chinese-made G5427 including the “FT-5E” pickups and laurel fingerboard. When you zoom in on the back of the headstock, it doesn’t show the country of manufacture. I assume these will be from China, rather than Korea. I also assume that the “FT-5E” pickups are just Chinese-sourced versions of the Korean BT Filtertrons.
@TSims1 posted a demo of the 5427 a few weeks ago.

ZackyDog

Friend of Fred
Feb 6, 2015
In the USA
Very cool:

electromatic-classic-hollow-body-double-cut-rh-bigsby@2000x1500.jpg

Last edited:

twangmanster

Gretschie
Dec 29, 2021
Long Island
I think Gretsch quietly slipped these in quite a few months ago. I was wandering around GC and noticed these nice new shiny colorful 5420's on the wall. Didn't try any or bother to see what country they're made, of which I no longer care, but since these don't really fly off the shelf where I live unlike the pointy type, maybe its worth a second look to see if they have any "original" 5420's.

dreamingGretsch

Synchromatic
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
I still hold the korean electromatics close to my heart!

i can order those MIK electromatics back in the old days, sight unseen and be assured that the quality is great!

Maybe the new ones will be good too? The only streamliner ive tried is the 2420.. seems okay, but compared to the MIK 5420, its close but not there yet, i guess i can only say that for the only one I’ve tried so i cant speak for all the other 2420 out there.

I can still remember how good the Squier CV’s are and I dont actually doubt MIC can produce great instruments, i just wish they retained the rosewood fretboard. Hehe.

captain_jack

Electromatic
Jan 3, 2022
Brooklyn, NY
Does anyone know why the Electromatic hard tail solid body only seems to be an option for the left handed and 12 string models? (The Streamliner is available in both hard tail and bigsby variants for a right handed 6 string model)