2021 Annie 6118T w TV Hi’Lo Trons

Discussion in 'Guitar & Gear Reviews' started by Rusty Chops, Sep 24, 2021.

1. Rusty Chops

Rusty Chops Electromatic

Sep 8, 2021
    Redding, CA
    4E7E1677-BE51-4607-9C51-A290ABEB1CE8.jpeg
    I once had a vintage used 1958 Anniversary w Filtertrons, trestle bracing, ebony fretboard, and enough paint chips to see it was Birdseye maple underneath (even the neck). My first Gretsch, well used but stable.

The current Professional series is a modern trestle braced version with Bigsby, rosewood board, and TV Jones Hi’Lo Trons, w three pots and two switch type Gretsch control wiring. The pickups humbuck when combined.

The neck is “C” shaped. Neither slim nor chunky. Plays very nicely for my medium sized mitts, with neither cramping nor undo stretching. Cutaway clearance is sufficient for working above the 12th fret without interference from the body.

I was concerned it might sound thin with these single coils, but it sounds strong when required, and is a very “sweet” sounding guitar overall, with enough Gretsch “sproink” tone to satisfy me.
    The Space Control bridge is improved (over the bent all thread piece on my long gone ‘58).

The mud switch seems more usable than I remember, though I rarely use it when playing clean. With some mild distortion it varies the midrange in a couple of ways, and balancing the individual vol pots gives the expected results.
    The master volume pot has a treble bleed. All the pots sweep as they should. No surprises.

This has become my “best” guitar presently because of its sweet tone and versatility. My other guitars sound hard and midrange heavy compared to this.

The trestle bracing doesn’t kill the acoustic response, leaving enough “breath” to sound hollow, not planked.
    Lows, mids, highs: they’re all present and can be shaped on the fly.
    I play all styles of guitar and this satisfies. VERY useable.
    Bigsby and the space control bridge seem very compatible, and the nut does not require lube that I can tell.
    It’s also well intonated, with the stock strings (0.011” - 0.050” nickel plated steel round wounds).

2E223820-C65A-46A2-B1E5-F31D8DCC6E12.jpeg

2D2BE787-9EB3-4375-ADB5-CE3D81761F7B.jpeg
    (Web pic)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
  2. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Stunning! Annies are such wonderful guitars. Yours is just gorgeous.

Rusty Chops likes this.
  3. Archtops

Archtops Country Gent

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    Beautiful! Love the color.

Rusty Chops likes this.
  4. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

Beautiful guitar - congratulations on that - I'm a fan of the modern space control bridge, myself!

Rusty Chops likes this.
  5. juks

juks Country Gent

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    Great color! Congrats. And great review. Thank you for explaining all that.

Rusty Chops likes this.
  6. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    This and the Tennessee Rose are my favorite Gretsch guitars . Beautiful

Rusty Chops likes this.
  7. gretschbigsby

gretschbigsby Gretschie

Nov 21, 2009
    chicago
  8. Mellowcat

Mellowcat Gretschie

Aug 22, 2013
    VA
    Congratulations. Thanks for the description.

Rusty Chops likes this.
  9. Rusty Chops

Rusty Chops Electromatic

Sep 8, 2021
    Redding, CA
    I prefer it over most other Gretsch bridges, with a nod to the aluminum Bigsby “wiggle strip” for its contribution to so-called jazz tones I got from a 6120 DSW.
    This Space Control is well made with close tolerances. No tone sucking.
    The one on my old ‘58 didn’t suck any tone from loose parts either: it had corroded into one solid mass!

new6659 likes this.
  10. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Lovely,that's the Annie i'd like to get!:cool:

It's gotta have a 2 tone smoke green finish and Hi-Lo's.

Rusty Chops likes this.
  11. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    That is one sweet looking guitar. Enjoy it!

Rusty Chops likes this.
  12. Penguin

Penguin Country Gent

Nov 20, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    Just gorgeous.

Rusty Chops likes this.
  13. journeyman

journeyman Gretschie

Aug 20, 2009
    Toronto, Ontario
    They did a stellar job on that model. The only thing that kept me from buying one was the placement of the neck pickup. It is where the 1960 versions were, but I wish it was closer to the neck; just my personal taste, and it's right under where I pick; a whole lotta clickin' 'n' clackin' goin on. Those TV Hilo'trons are among my favourite pickups though; I replaced the Power'trons in my 125th Annie with these. Get 'em set with the optimum height and they're pure Gretsch heaven. I had them in my previous Annie too. Congratulations on a great instrument.

Craig Encinitas and Rusty Chops like this.
  14. Rusty Chops

Rusty Chops Electromatic

Sep 8, 2021
    Redding, CA
    Boy, these already seem to be adjusted well for sound. What am I missing?
    I may get some foam if nickel wound or flat wound strings don’t work as well as nickel plated steel wound but I dunno, so far I’m loving the sounds as-is.

I have all kinds of risers and cut-to-fit foam for P-90’s, but these are quiet enough to turn my amp up with no hum. Excellent signal.

Yes, the neck pickup seems placed for a 24 fret neck. I never liked that about Gibson ES-175’s either, but it sounds good on this Annie and does not interfere with my despicable technique.
    Generally I like the neck pickup right up against the neck for fluffy jazz sounds, but never minded the SG snarl vs Les Pauls. I have some workarounds.

Craig Encinitas likes this.
  15. AllenK

AllenK Gretschie

Thanks for the review. Confirms that model of Annie as one of my top considerations if I manage to buy another Proline.

Rusty Chops likes this.
  16. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Country Gent

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Thanks for the review on your fine Annie.

Rusty Chops likes this.
  17. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Damn nice. Love the two tone green classic Annie! (Always seems wrong to me to see Annies with FTs.)

Rusty Chops likes this.
  18. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Very nice guitar, I was considering one of these when I wanted an annie.

On the neck pick up location though, I would love to actually measure this as I personally don't think it's that different to standard location, I think the biggest reason it looks that way it does is because that model gretsch has 21 frets instead of 22 frets which I think is why there is such a big gap between the neck pick up and the end of the fret board.

Rusty Chops likes this.
  19. journeyman

journeyman Gretschie

Aug 20, 2009
    Toronto, Ontario
    I tried some measurements, comparing photos of a Filter'tron Annie and the 6118-60 VS and it looks like you are correct. Man, I got that one wrong. I just assumed that the neck pos Filter had the pole pieces under the harmonic.

Rusty Chops and Stefan87 like this.
  20. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    In all honesty I didn't figure that one out for myself, someone else pointed that out to me regarding the 21 vs 22 frets, the positioning may still be lower on the neck pick up though as I thought the same as you did before I was told that.
    So I can't take any credit for that one lol.

Rusty Chops likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.