2017 Gretsch 5420t issue

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by MikeSchindler, Oct 30, 2020.

1. MikeSchindler

MikeSchindler Synchromatic

Feb 3, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    Literally an overnight issue which has me a bit perplexed . I had conditioned my fretboard a while back as I do with all my guitars- maybe about 2 month ago. Went to play it yesterday and it was great today picked it up and my treble E was choked- completely - high frets 19 th and above . I leveled it , buffed it and it’s great now. No loose frets that I could detect..My house is humidified and it’s in a case. Not too happy as the wood looked dry again a bit. Is this happening to anyone else. The fretboard almost resembles laurel and it’s supposed to be rosewood . I’m not so happy right now. My other guitars are fine. In fact I’m even thinking of the possibility this may be a compressed material. I would be really upset . I did not want to buy a guitar with a compressed material for fingerboard. Jumping the gun here a bit but something doesn’t seem right about the fretboard material as I have 40 years experience with guitars. Very strange

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
  2. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
    Post a pic..

No issues with my 5420

MikeSchindler likes this.
  3. MikeSchindler

Feb 3, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    I just conditioned the board after leveling so it’s a bit darker. I’ll wait for a few days u til it goes back to its original hue . At least I knew what to do with it because I have had tons of experience with fret repair. I feel bad for someone who this happens to and has to pay for repair. I did some research and some articles state it is compressed rosewood. Now how does this compressed rosewood( if that’s what it is) relate to long term playability -and drying out over time, age , fret movement etc. I have no idea.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
  4. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
    This is news to me. Very quick research indicates that Gretsch treats and compresses rosewood, on what models I’m not sure. It would appear they don’t make a Rosewood board out of chips like pressboard.

This is done to improve the Rosewood.....?

Gretsch lists it as Rosewood when describing their fingerboards.

5. Bubbalou88

Bubbalou88 Electromatic

Sep 25, 2020
    Dallas-Ft.Worth Texas
    I had issues similar with an Ibanez Archtop and used Naptha to remove the conditioner I used (F-One Oil). I then used what was recommended to me " Howard Feed-N-Wax" from Home Depot. It is a wood polish & conditioner. Easy to use put it on, let sit around 20 minutes then wipe off. Try it, 16 fl oz bottle will last a long time. Great results. In my case I had to do it twice as it came very dry.

Wjensen likes this.
  6. MikeSchindler

Feb 3, 2014
    Pennsylvania
  7. Wjensen

Wjensen Gretschie

May 25, 2019
    Raleigh, NC
    I have heard of Howard's Feed n Wax as well. Been looking around for it, though I currently have Elixers on and they don't seem to be aging.

8. Bubbalou88

Bubbalou88 Electromatic

Sep 25, 2020
    Dallas-Ft.Worth Texas
    I hear ya on the Elixers Not Aging :) I use them On an Acoustic I guitar I have.
    Available at Home Depot, Ace Hardware, and Amazon. Here is a link. Note: they have 8 oz for $14 but why pay that when they also have 16 oz for $16. Scroll down page to bottom to see other choices

https://www.amazon.com/Howard-FW0016-Feed-N-Wax-Conditioner-16-Ounce/dp/B01HC0O3LC

Howard's Amazon Store
    https://www.amazon.com/stores/Howar...7E538A638?ref_=ast_bln&productGridPageIndex=2

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
  9. Wjensen

Wjensen Gretschie

May 25, 2019
    Raleigh, NC
    Bubbalou, thanks!

10. mrcoffee23

mrcoffee23 Gretschie

Sep 23, 2009
    Virginia, USA
    I use lemon oil. I've noticed that on some guitars, a fresh coat will make frets behave strangely for a day or two, but then settle back in properly once the board reaches a moisture equilibrium. You know, moisture expands, dryness contracts, type thing.

But I usually wait it out, rather than fix anything for a couple of days.

ZackyDog likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.