2015 Gibsons: Some Thoughts

Admiral Ballsy

Gretschie
Nov 25, 2014
Central IN
A 29% increase in MSRP is not necessarily a 29% increase...or even an increase at all...in dealer cost.

Gibson has done this often, raise MSRP a bunch and leave dealer cost unchanged or only slightly increased. The spread on Gibson is a LOT wider than almost any other brand.

senojnad

Synchromatic
Platinum Member
Jul 13, 2008
Lehigh Valley, PA
A 29% increase in MSRP is not necessarily a 29% increase...or even an increase at all...in dealer cost.

Gibson has done this often, raise MSRP a bunch and leave dealer cost unchanged or only slightly increased. The spread on Gibson is a LOT wider than almost any other brand.

My Gibson purchase (about a year ago) would bear this out. I bought a 50th Anniversary ES335 which carried a MSRP of $5292, a "street price" of $3999. My "mom and pop" dealer priced it at $3000 with no haggling or even discussion.... He seems to be doing just fine, profit-wise.....

Staggerlee

Country Gent
Jul 19, 2012
Twin Cities
My used Gibson LP 2012 Mahogany Traditional is a much better guitar than the twice priced Chet 6120 I sold to fund the purchase. I have not looked back or missed it at all. The POS wouldn't stay in tune to save it's life.

senojnad

Synchromatic
Platinum Member
Jul 13, 2008
Lehigh Valley, PA
To be clear, I've been a Gretschaholic since the mid/late 1950's. The beloved wife says I should go to meetings.....

One Gibson had been on my bucket list for a very long time -- a red ES335. After pondering for many years I finally decided to go for it last year, although I was very hesitant because of all the things I'd read about Gibson's quality problems.

I set out on a mission, hitting just about every Gibson dealer within a 50 mile radius of my home (eastern PA). I lugged my own amp (55 lb. Standel) and went shopping on weekdays to avoid crowds and reduce noise where possible. I have to say -- Of the 12-15 (probably more) examples that I played, I found NONE with quality issues or problems, other than poor setup or lousy strings. I found no differences between Nashville and Memphis made guitars.

I ended up ordering one (nobody had the model I wanted in red). It arrived in about a week and looked flawless out of the box. It required some minor setup work by the dealer (about 20 minutes?).

A year has gone by and I have had NO problems with the guitar. The bonding has grown in that time.

No plans on another Gibson unless I win the lottery and feel the need for an L-5 or similar model. My next guitar will likely be another Gretsch. But I DO love my ES335.

Admiral Ballsy

Gretschie
Nov 25, 2014
Central IN
IME Gibson hit rock bottom WRT QC somewhere around '04. They're a LOT better now, and the CS/Historic stuff was almost always spot-on. I've owned two Historics that had end-grain issues at the body radius, where the filler shrank after finishing...and Gibson fixed them.

I own...a number of Gibsons now, as well as five Gretsches. In terms of QC, both look and feel nice, but the Gibson fretwork is better.

Rockabillybob

Country Gent
Aug 30, 2010
Lake of the Ozarks Missouri
if you like the look/sound of gibson guitars, epiphone is really where it's at.

they have some great guitars (my emperor swingster kills so many other more expensive hollowbodies. after a good setup, i'd put it right under a proline gretsch, and above plenty of gibsons.), you wont get screwed on the price (29% price increase on EVERY gibson guitar), or have to deal with the auto tune crap. i'd pick a nice epiphone over most gibsons any day. (though i do still love my gibby SG, because it's cool and i've had it for years. but it's ultimately just an alright guitar. nothing wonderful.)

That first sentence says a lot. I have an Epiphone ES295, Broadway and Dot. They are all terrific guitars. Oh, just recently bought an Epiphone Hummingbird Pro acoustic/electric. I like it so far. We'll see how it does on a gig Saturday night.

Sharkblues

Country Gent
Aug 22, 2010
Texas
That first sentence says a lot. I have an Epiphone ES295, Broadway and Dot. They are all terrific guitars. Oh, just recently bought an Epiphone Hummingbird Pro acoustic/electric. I like it so far. We'll see how it does on a gig Saturday night.

Can't wait for your review. I recently picked ua EL-00 Pro on trade and really enjoying it. Quality is outstanding on this one.

I guess a $300 isn't going to be all of what a $3000 Gibson is, but the Epi's I have sound and play just fine for me. Although I do have to tune them myself.

Telechamp

Country Gent
Oct 20, 2010
Tampa Bay
Yeah, not interested in the 2015 Gibsons at all.

I ordered a new 2013 Alpine White Les Paul Studio this week from Musicians Friend at their Black Friday sale, and couldn't be happier with this LP. Got it at a great price, too!

IMG_0789copy_zps11fc3b41.jpg

IMG_0754copy_zpsf3145358.jpg

IMG_0768copy_zps3a7aaba4.jpg

IMG_0772copy_zps277c3bc3.jpg

Admiral Ballsy

Gretschie
Nov 25, 2014
Central IN
Must be a BF MF thing; I bought a 2012 LP Traditional in last year's sale.

From what I could infer from the shipping labels on the carton, it had been returned to Gibson, then sent to a warranty center, then a Gibson warehouse somewhere in Nevada, then to MF. Must have been refurbs or something, because they had a bunch of them.

It's an amazing instrument. It's all wrong, of course - two-piece back, two-piece fingerboard - but it plays and sounds as good as any of the Historic LPs I own/have owned (more than a few). If I fell on hard times, this is the Gibson I'd keep, even though it's probably the 2nd least-valuable.

Telechamp

Country Gent
Oct 20, 2010
Tampa Bay
Must be a BF MF thing; I bought a 2012 LP Traditional in last year's sale.

From what I could infer from the shipping labels on the carton, it had been returned to Gibson, then sent to a warranty center, then a Gibson warehouse somewhere in Nevada, then to MF. Must have been refurbs or something, because they had a bunch of them.

It's an amazing instrument. It's all wrong, of course - two-piece back, two-piece fingerboard - but it plays and sounds as good as any of the Historic LPs I own/have owned (more than a few). If I fell on hard times, this is the Gibson I'd keep, even though it's probably the 2nd least-valuable.

My Studio came in brand spankin' new - not a blemish or scratch on it. I'm sure this one hasn't been refurbished. I looked again at the box - and it didn't have any return labels, warranty return labels, etc. so I'm thinking I'm good there.

I think there must have been a glut of 2013 Ebony and Alpine White LP Studio's out there, though, because I saw them everywhere on Black Friday music websites.. And as I said, I got a killer deal on mine.

elguapo776

Gretschie
Feb 5, 2010
San Diego
Sam Ash is blowing out lefty 2013 LPJs for $429.00 right now. $429 for a made in the USA Gibson (albeit a super stripped down Gibson). I already bought one in cherry, and I'm looking around the house for sacrificial lambs to fund one more in chocolate.

Uncle Daddy

Friend of Fred
Jan 19, 2012
Maldon UK

I'd go along with that. Epiphone have really raised their game, not only with well crafted stuff coming out of China, but a new range of MIJ lacquered hollowbody stuff as well. My Sorrento is fantastic, and so affordable that it mattered little if I modified it. The new 175 looks like it might be worth a try too. I picked up a wine red Gibson 175 in a store recently, and had to look really hard to see where they'd hidden $3000 of work in it.

Back in the day I had a mate that made a point of phoning people up that were selling overpriced motorcycles

"Is that the guy selling the gold plated BSA?"

- "No, it's not gold plated"-

"Well if fekking ought to be at the price you're asking!"

Attachments

• 175.jpg
    175.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 21
  • P1030895.jpg
    P1030895.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 24

Sharkblues

Country Gent
Aug 22, 2010
Texas
The more I read this thread, the more I like the Auto- tune concept. Having a couple tunings at the push of a button is a great tool. Gibson is probably tarnishing a good idea by not making it optional.

DrumBob

Friend of Fred
Feb 2, 2011
New Jersey
You're right. The concept is fine. Forcing it on anyone who buys a Gibson guitar is wrong, but they did that because they knew few people would order it as an option. And who really goes into a store and orders a new Gibson? I'd say 95% of them are bought from dealer stock.

Biddlin

Electromatic
May 4, 2014
Sacramento, CA USA
The more I read this thread, the more I like the Auto- tune concept. Having a couple tunings at the push of a button is a great tool. Gibson is probably tarnishing a good idea by not making it optional.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAxHYdGnaJE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAxHYdGnaJE[/ame]
I have this on my two main gigging guitars. I love it. No more trying to read meters or hear myself in rowdy honky-tonks.
The two factors most common in these things not working are the owner didn't read the manual and buggered the motor by using a speed winder and/or didn't calibrate the unit to the highest standard. Unlubed nut is a close no.3
;>)/

TC6119

Country Gent
Feb 10, 2013
Iceberg Alley
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAxHYdGnaJE
I have this on my two main gigging guitars. I love it. No more trying to read meters or hear myself in rowdy honky-tonks.
The two factors most common in these things not working are the owner didn't read the manual and buggered the motor by using a speed winder and/or didn't calibrate the unit to the highest standard. Unlubed nut is a close no.3
;>)/

Hey.... That is cool Biddlin. I haven't seen one work before. Fast.
I think the new technology is great, for someone who wants it.
I saw a review of a new 2015 Gibson with auto-tune on the Gear page and the new owner was tickled pink with his purchase. Loved the playability, tone and the tuners.
But as DrumBob and Synchro said, it should be an option.
And from what I gather from the forum they aren't selling too good. if this is true I think you'll see Gibson change their ways and offer it as an option. They'll have to if the technology doesn't take off.
Question Biddlin, how does it work when installing new strings? Thats the real test in my mind.
Do you just install the new strings and have a strum and it automatically tunes everything up?

Synchro

The artist formerly known as: Synchro
Staff member
Jun 2, 2008
Tucson
That's the pint, as I see it. I have no problem with the concept, but I don't want it rammed down my throat. Personally, I'd never be interested. I can tune a guitar by ear and be damn close, if not spot on. I use a Son of Snark on stage but rarely need it, unless the environment is too noisy.

I'm just tired of Gibson thinking that I have to buy whatever it is they decide I should want.