2014 Northern California Roundup - With Special Guest

Discussion in 'Gretschtogether' started by Ric12String, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Ric12String

Ric12String Gretschie

Jun 6, 2008
    California
    Northern California Roundup Celebrates California Rock!

[​IMG]

The sounds of American Rock ‘n’ Roll originated in different cities throughout our country. New York City, Boston, Detroit, Memphis, Austin, Philadelphia, and Seattle each brought its own special flavor to our music.

And we owe much to England’s own London, Liverpool, and Manchester, for taking a new and different approach to American rock ‘n’ roll and R&B, by repackaging it and sending it back across the Atlantic to us.

But, California takes a backseat to no one in terms of the impact that it has had on American rock music. Musicians packed up their vans or buses and headed west where the lure of Los Angeles studios and recording contracts attracted them like moths to a flame.

Great musicians in the Wrecking Crew churned out hit record after hit record for countless artists in studios like A&M Records, Gold Star, and Capitol Records.

Bands like The Doors, The Byrds, Eagles, Frank Zappa, Toto, Buffalo Springfield, and even the Monkees got their start in Los Angeles. And Billy Zoom’s band, X, contributed mightily to the growth of punk rock using Los Angeles as its home base.

Further up Highway 101, San Francisco in the Sixties was alive with music. Bands like The Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane, Moby Grape, Big Brother and the Holding Company, Santana, Sly & the Family Stone, and Quicksilver Messenger Service all got their start in the San Francisco - Bay Area.

Join us at the 2014 Northern California Roundup as we celebrate the impact of California upon the American rock scene.

When: September 4-7, 2014
    Where: Clair Tappaan Lodge, 19940 Donner Pass Road, Norden, CA 95724

[​IMG]

And to help us celebrate the event will be special guest, Jim Messina, who was one of the members of Buffalo Springfield, and whose Telecaster and Stratocaster sounds were front and center in bands like Poco and Loggins & Messina.

Jim Messina is a very articulate and thoughtful individual. He will have some extraordinary stories to share with us from his experiences in each of these bands, as well as having served as producer and engineer to some of rock history’s most important figures.

Come share in the fellowship of your Gretsch friends, make new friends, check out some very cool guitars, and play and sing some great music with other Gretsch fans. You will also even see Joe Carducci, FMIC/Gretsch’s main man laying down some tones at the Northern California Roundup.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The Clair Tappaan Lodge

The Clair Tappaan is an historic ski lodge owned by the Sierra Club. Lodging there for the event is only $60 per night, which includes three meals a day. Please call (530) 426-3632 to make your reservations. The 1-800 number which can be found on the internet is no longer being used, so please disregard it and use this telephone number to make your reservations.

Ride sharing may be available to members from Southern California inasmuch as we have members driving up to the Roundup from the greater Los Angeles area. If you are interested in ride sharing, please contact me and perhaps we can put interested individuals in contact with each other.

So, come join us as we celebrate the California rock 'n' roll sound at the Northern California Roundup.

2. Ric12String

Ric12String Gretschie

Jun 6, 2008
    California
    [​IMG]

While he worked with Kenny Loggins, Jim Messina was a member of one of the largest-selling duos in American pop music history.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_SxXpHPCvI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_SxXpHPCvI[/ame]
    Your Mama Don't Dance

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-I7lIFQ5s8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-I7lIFQ5s8[/ame]

Before Loggins & Messina, however, he hung out with the likes of Neil Young and Stephen Still while a member of Buffalo Springfield.

[​IMG]
    Buffalo Springfield

And he was a co-founder (along with Richie Furay and Rusty Young) of the iconic and pioneering country rock band, Poco.

[​IMG]
    Poco

Jim Messina promises to be a very entertaining guest. So, make your reservation now for the Roundup and be a part of this fun event.

3. Ric12String

Ric12String Gretschie

Jun 6, 2008
    California
    This event is open to all Gretsch fans from whatever forum they belong to, whether Gretsch-Talk, Gretsch Pages, or even the corporate Gretsch forum on GretschGuitars.com. The shared appreciation for these great guitars is what binds us together and you will be made to feel right at home at the Roundup.

Come hang out with Tavo, dbirchett, LA_Manny, Mel Waldorf, RCBoals, Sarah93003, and the many others whose posts you have read over the years. Make some great new friendships and renew existing ones.

See you there!

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  4. Ric12String

Ric12String Gretschie

Jun 6, 2008
    California
    Is anyone giving any consideration to attending the Roundup event? If you have any questions that I can answer, either post them up here in the thread or send me a PM.

I hope to see some of you there.

5. Ric12String

Ric12String Gretschie

Jun 6, 2008
    California
    Get Your Roundup T-Shirts Here!

For this year's Roundup t-shirt, we will be featuring the art work of one of our fellow Gretsch lovers. I have been a fan of this year’s artist’s work since long before I even knew of him. Every time that my daughter would break out a bottle of Hidden Valley Ranch dressing from the refrigerator, I would marvel at the drawing on the label. I was really surprised to learn that a Gretsch player was responsible for that image.

So, this year, I have asked “bamboobast” if he would be willing to assist us with the t-shirt image and he has very kindly agreed to do so. So, without further ado, here is the 2014 Roundup t-shirt:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While I am a bit of a self-confessed fanboy of bamboobast, I must say, with every ounce of objectivity that I can muster, that I think that this t-shirt graphic is absolutely stunning. It really captures an extraordinary blend between the local natural setting for the Roundup and the musical/guitar emphasis of the event. A truly superb job, bamboobast!

(By the way, for those of you who have yet to attend the Roundup, this bridge is called "Rainbow Bridge" and it is located about a mile from the Clair Tappaan Lodge where the Roundup is held.)

So, as always with our t-shirts, time is short and we need to put together our order quickly so that we can get them printed in time for the Roundup.

As in past years, the shirts will be Gildan shirts, which are very high quality 100% cotton t-shirts. The shirts will be available only in the indigo color shown. They will be available in the following sizes: Small, Medium, Large, X-Large, XX-Large, XXX-Large, XXXX-Large, XXXXX-Large, or XXXXXX-Large. The shirts will cost $10.00. What a deal, right? You should buy five of them at that price!

If you want a shirt, you will need to order them in advance as we will not be printing more shirts than have been ordered. Make sure that you specify both the size and the quantity.

If you would like a shirt, send me an email through the G-T site's PM service. If you don’t receive a reply from me acknowledging your order within 24 hours, then please send me another email.

We will give this about one week’s time before we close off the orders.

And, while I have control of the mic, let me also say a huge “Thank You” to fellow G-T'er LA_Manny who helps us each year organize the printing and delivery of the shirts to the event. He must have pictures of the silkscreen printers in compromising positions because he gets us these shirts for a phenomenal price. Thanks again, Manny! You da man.

Okay, let the ordering commence.

(NOTE: If you are using Windows, try right clicking on the image to open it in another window or another tab and the image will be larger. It allows you to admire the artwork even more that way. Clicking on the bar above the photo may also do the same thing.)

6. Ric12String

Ric12String Gretschie

Jun 6, 2008
    California
    Okay, today is the last day to place your orders for Roundup t-shirts. Tomorrow, we will be submitting the order. So, if you will be attending the Roundup and haven't already done so, please send me a PM with your t-shirt order.

Thank you.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.