20 things you should sell when you retire.

Bertotti

Friend of Fred
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
I don’t follow you there.
If you mean the assisted living part, the thing to remember they are upscale nursing homes, with minimal interaction to maximize profits. Its a business.

I’m just not seeing a trail from the original post.
Nothing to see, my mind saw that little bit as a ploy from someone looking for, more liquid funds, more easily tracked. That’s how My mind sees an article like that. The hoops I had to jump through to get my mom on were silly and the way I had to report her assets. The only reason they didn’t confiscate all the furniture that she used was that she lived with me. My house is my stuff, not hers. They wanted to know every little thing and O see suggestions for people getting older to sell stuff and put it in a bank just some Unseen power trying to get more of an individual's assets liquid for tracking. The part about funny how a mind works were referring g to me and how I perceive garbage like that suggestion to seek your stuff. Not asking for you to agree or disagree or argue just my perspective on it. I am told in my state they can go back 9 years to look at her finances before Medicare Medicaid can be used. She has to be completely broke before it is allowed.

Last edited:

Runamok

Country Gent
Nothing to see, my mind saw that little bit as a ploy from someone looking for, more liquid funds, more easily tracked. That’s how My mind sees an article like that. The hoops I had to jump through to get my mom on were silly and the way I had to report her assets. The only reason they didn’t confiscate all the furniture that she used was that she lived with me. My house is my stuff, not hers. They wanted to know every little thing and O see suggestions for people getting older to sell stuff and put it in a bank just some Unseen power trying to get more of an individual's assets liquid for tracking. The part about funny how a mind works were referring g to me and how I perceive garbage like that suggestion to seek your stuff. Not asking for you to agree or disagree or argue just my perspective on it. I am told in my state they can go back 9 years to look at her finances before Medicare Medicaid can be used. She has to be completely broke before it is allowed.
Its not my intent to agree or disagree.

Had only asked how you got there, based on your phrase. All fine.
After a day or two I barely remember the topic!

Nursing Homes & Assisted Living isn’t inherently altruistic.
Which we both know. How does it change & to what?

And what will you sell to retire?

LeSainte

Gretschie
Oct 4, 2021
New York
I'm going to share the unpopular opinion on their behalf.

If you don't play them regularly, you're better off selling them.

I honestly have to agree. Unless it has some sort of value beyond being played (Sentimental or collection,) it really does make sense to get rid of what you don't use.

I don't think I'd ever take an instrument to the pawn shop though.

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
Here on the east Coast we had the " Want-Add Press" . A weekly publication ( like those real-estate booklets you see at the Diner ) Cars , musical instruments , furniture , most anything ... sometimes I wish it was still around . Do you remember that publication @5120mantis
Every place I've ever been had some variant of this. We had the Penny Saver. Peggy Hill writes for the Arlen Shopper.

Merc

Friend of Fred
May 6, 2017
Florida
With todays inflation, certain brand guitars will likely hold better value than leaving $$$ in the bank. Some of the used guitars I’ve sold in the last decade sell for 1/4 to 1/3 more today. Still, I wouldn’t see any need to sell unless retirement income isn’t cutting it.

Last edited:

Archtops

Country Gent
Mar 4, 2021
SoCal
My wife and I purchased our first home after 15 years of renting. We borrowed a modest $20,000 for a down and paid $124,000 for the home. It was a fixer upper and so over the span of 34 years we fixed it up as time and monies allowed.
Probably spent under $100,000 on all the improvements. What we saved in rental costs as opposed to buying was awesome.
Last year we sold the house for 875,000, paid off all debt and bought an even larger house down by the beach. In the last year we made over 100,000 on it’s value increase. The mortgage is less than a 2 bedroom apartment in L.A.
So I’m a firm believer that one’s RE can be of great value in retirement.