2.75 v 2.25 Body

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Drock2k1, Oct 8, 2020.

1. Drock2k1

Drock2k1 Synchromatic

Feb 26, 2013
    Indiana
    I think I have narrowed down my choice between a Players Edition and a Vintage Select but I am not in a spot where I can compare. I have owned a standard size (2012) and a center block falcon (first run) and feel they both have their advantages. The center block had a super tight response but lacked that body depth that I loved from the standard falcon. I know that the Players edition has a thinner body but the bracing is supposed allow for the guitar to retain a more hollow body sound.

My question is this...for those who have played both the thinner player edition and the standard depth bodies, can you tell a large difference?

2. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    For my playing-needs it has to be a trestle-braced version of a hollow-body model because of the old feedback problematic. The center-block version should handle this easily. So I would decide on the model by your usual playing loudness. It`s no fun to play a paralell-braced Gretsch over a fully blown 100 watt Marshall but it is easy to use a center-block or trestle-braced hollow in that cicrumstance.

GlenP and Drock2k1 like this.
  3. Drock2k1

Drock2k1 Synchromatic

Feb 26, 2013
    Indiana
    Don't really play at loud volumes so feedback isn't a concern.

4. Limuz

Limuz Gretschie

Sep 8, 2012
    Netherlands
    I prefer the acoustic sound of the 2.75", it does feedback easier but as you said, for you it shouldn't be a problem. I also like the feel better of the thicker models, for some reason it feels more... Gretschy? Like a proper hollowbody. If I want thin, I'll grab a Les Paul or something like that.

MotorCentaur likes this.
  5. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I play a fully hollow 2.75” White Falcon with a tone post at loud volumes and a 6120 with the same specs.
    I don’t have a hard time with feedback. It’s there if I want it, but I can control it if I don’t.

I prefer full sized 2.75” bodies to 2.25” or 2.5”. I just think they’re cooler.

MKunie likes this.
  6. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I don't buy an electric guitar for it's acoustic properties.
    A center block will be heavier, but I sit while I play, so no problems.
    The thickness doesn't really bother me as I usually play acoustic guitars.

BCRatRod73 likes this.
  7. cvr31

cvr31 Gretschie

Full 2.75" for me. Every Gretsch I've owned (6 total so far, currently own 2) has been full depth. Why? Because I like resting my arm on the thicker guitar more than the thinner models, I like the way the extra 1/2" places the guitar slightly farther away from my body (which makes my hybrid picking easier), and because I think that the thick ones have the "bigger, more open" sound than the thinner ones.

But, take your pick. Gretsch sure has some nice guitars of all thicknesses, and they all sound great even if a little different. .

Drock2k1 likes this.
  8. Drock2k1

Drock2k1 Synchromatic

Feb 26, 2013
    Indiana
    I’m torn, maybe I should just buy both

speedicut, MKunie and Henry like this.
  9. MKunie

MKunie Country Gent

Feb 8, 2012
    Vegas,USA
    I have 4 prolines, one is a Players Edition with the thinner body. I personally like the thicker body, But it works very well with the PE, the pickups and feel are just right, And I agree try both sizes. I am bigger the Falcon fits me perfectly!

Drock2k1 likes this.
  10. Drock2k1

Drock2k1 Synchromatic

Feb 26, 2013
    Indiana
    I love all of the add ons that the PE has, I also like HS Filter’Trons more than the TV Jones but I can change that stuff, the one thing I can’t change is the size of the body. I may have to see if I can make a trip to Sweetwater.

11. BCRatRod73

BCRatRod73 Gretschie

Sep 1, 2020
    Mississippi
    My Rat Rod is a comfy 2 1/4” thick. My Swingster is 2 1/2” at the neck joint, 2 3/4” at the Bigsby end. They’re both comfortable. I really don’t notice much difference at all between the two as far as body thickness goes. The only difference is weight. The Swingster is a porker in comparison. No matter which way you go you can’t go wrong.

Drock2k1 likes this.
  12. Drock2k1

Drock2k1 Synchromatic

Feb 26, 2013
    Indiana
    I should clarify, my concern on the body size is the depth of tone that I still have in my head from my older 2.75. I just worry I will lose that in the 2.25.

G5422T and Echocat23 like this.
  13. BCRatRod73

BCRatRod73 Gretschie

Sep 1, 2020
    Mississippi
    Maybe it’s the matte finish but my Rat Rod is resonant as heck. I love it. I could seriously use it as an acoustic. I’ve never played a 2.75” thick Gretsch so I can’t compare. I just really like my Rat Rod.

Drock2k1 and Stefan87 like this.
  14. Drock2k1

Drock2k1 Synchromatic

Feb 26, 2013
    Indiana
    I've looked and cannot confirm, doe the VS models have treble bleed? I know that the Golden Era models did.

15. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    VS replaced the Golden Era nomenclature and should mean the same thing, but I would still check each guitar as for specs.

Drock2k1 likes this.
  16. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Myself, I prefer the specs and build of the VS series over the PE series. Just me.

I can't make a direct comparison between depths and the tone factor. I'm used to and have both open "f" hole and Electrotone bodies that are all 2.75" deep. I have to assume that a 2.25" depth would change tone somewhat. How much? Can't say.

I can say, both out of habit and likes, that if I was considering another Gretsch, it would be a Vintage Select version. Again, just me.

Best of luck on your quest

Drock2k1 likes this.
  17. BohemianLikeMe

BohemianLikeMe Gretschie

Apr 18, 2020
    Prague, CZ
    I thought the 2.75" would be too much for me, but I'm quite liking it after playing mostly solid body Fenders for a few decades.

Drock2k1 likes this.
  18. sgarnett

sgarnett Synchromatic

Apr 14, 2020
    Kentucky
    I would really like to see a middle ground between the Rat Rod and 6120 PE - maybe with a sound post, matte version of Roundup Orange (rust orange), and the silver hardware (including the jack plate) from the 6119 PE instead of the gold 6120 hardware or licensed Bigs and open gear tuners of the Rat Rod.

BCRatRod73 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.