1meg pots?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by stevo, Oct 30, 2021.

1. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    I was wondering if anyone has put 1meg pots in their Gretsch? I have a 6128 with TVJones Plus in the bridge and Supertron in the neck. Will it be significantly brighter? Or just a tad?

Right now I have 500k pots but can never keep still, always playing around with things.

2. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Country Gent

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    @stevo,

I have to be honest with you and need to qualify my response, on my G6129T-62, it was a pre-Fender issue from 1997.

I upgraded the 250k pots to 500k on the bridge and neck pickups, and used a 1 Meg for the main volume, I did notice clarity, increased brightness, but a vast improvement in volume. I can't say that it was attributed to the 1 Meg for the main in it's entirety, because the old 250k pots were in marginal condition.
    But there was an improvement.

ZackyDog, Poulou and stevo like this.
  3. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    I think you need to try them for yourself and see what you think.
    Lots of people think it makes the guitar too bright including many guitar companies who dropped them after a few years - that should tell you something.
    For me the pickups are bright enough with 500K pots. If you really want to hear more brightness you'd be better off doing it with the amp's treble knob or with a 10 band guitar pedal EQ. That way you can switch it on and off as needed. This is my opinion of coarse.

ZackyDog likes this.
  4. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    A couple of thoughts …

A 1 meg pot will make things brighter, but not necessarily be a dramatic change. In electrical circuits, doubling a value doesn’t necessarily mean a doubling of what is perceived. That’s what makes it tricky. Most of the changes are logarithmic in nature. It’s also a matter of impedances. The output impedance from the guitar is going to be based upon the net value of the circuit. Raise the output impedance and the losses of treble in the patch cable will have greater influence.

If you want to maximize the performance on that guitar, my recommendation would be to build a Setzer Hot Rod harness, with no pickup volume controls. The two best sounding guitars I own have either the Hot Rod harness, or a hybrid, which is at least similar.

That having been said, the effort involved may not be proportional to results received. I don’t think that there is a dramatic change to be had with such a mod, but can tell you from experience that 1 Meg pots are a mixed blessing, at best.

5. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Yea, that's kind of been my though as well but wasn't sure if any had done it. I have 500k pots on my Strat and it's bright when you turn the tone up - gets into new territory and produces some extra unique tones. But that's not something I would necessarily do with every guitar.

mrfixitmi likes this.
  6. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I’m a great believer in simplicity. If they made a Synchro Signature model, it would probably be a 6120 DC with trestle bracing, without the mute (which would allow the bridge pickup to be moved closer to the bridge) and the Setzer Hot Rod circuit, with Supertrons and a treble bleed on the master volume. Simple wins the day.

7. Poulou

Poulou Electromatic

Apr 12, 2021
    There
    I actually swapped the entire wiring of my electromatic to a single volume pot , 1Meg. Vast increase of the sound

mrfixitmi likes this.
  8. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    I rarely if ever use the pickup volume controls on my 6128 other than to turn them all the way up, so I guess me too. In fact, I don't think I ever mess with individual pickup volumes.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2021
    mrfixitmi likes this.
  9. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I experimented with the pickup volumes when I got my first 6120, and found that I could get some interesting sounds, until I flipped the pickup switch to just the neck or bridge pickup and got a dramatic change in volume. It was just one more that could go wrong.

There’s a big difference between playing in a live setting and recording. In a recording, even at my humble level, everything is planned and you can tailor your settings to whatever you are working on at the moment.

In a live setting, you are moving from one song to the next. I prefer to play one guitar for an entire gig, so I am not spending a long time between songs changing configuration. I might make a change at the pedalboard, choose between a flat pick or a thumb pick, and choose the pickup for the next song, but that’s about all, and I try to keep it down to 10-15 seconds. I really don’t want to add anything else to think about when I’m already plenty busy.

I actually make very few changes during the average gig. I usually run with plate reverb (emulation) and a hint of delay. For Surf tunes I switch to a spring reverb emulation and I occasionally switch pickups to suit the material and the acoustics of the room, but that’s about it.

mrfixitmi likes this.
  10. ALS57

ALS57 Gretschie

Jun 17, 2019
    London
    With handwound filtertrons and new wiring in a 2420 a 1meg master volume was too bright and brittle. I went back to a 500k with a treble bleed which works well

11. BuddyHollywood

BuddyHollywood Gretschie

Sep 11, 2009
    Venice, CA
    I installed 1 meg pots in my DSV Duo Jet with Dynasonics after I learned that the original 1955 Duo Jets came with them. It is great. I was nervous soldering new CTS pots on a Pro-line Gretsch but of everything I've done to it I think this one was the best tone enhancing mod. It opened up the sound and sounds very similar to my friend's original 1955 Duo Jet. I also installed a 1 meg pot on my Strat with a Power'Tron bridge pickup. The middle and neck single coils are hooked up to a 250K pot. It's great on that one too. To me it gives more of everything, not just high end. In the end it all depends on the guitar and what you want out of it on a case by case basis.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.