1999 Brian Setzer 6120SSU - Anybody Know Anything About These

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by rduval, Dec 19, 2019.

1. rduval

rduval Newbie

Jun 7, 2010
    Canada
    Hi all,

I'm going to look at a 1999 6120SSU and the owner says it was made in USA (it does not say Made in Japan on the back of the headstock). Pickups do not say TV Jones on top but owner says they have a TV Jones sticker on the back of them.

Anybody have any information to confirm or deny any of this or have any experience good or bad with these?

Thanks

Rick

2. bluenote23

bluenote23 Country Gent

Oct 17, 2009
    Montreal, Canada
    PreFMIC Gretschs (around 1989-2003) had a little sticker that said 'made in Japan'. These stickers invariably fell off and were lost. According to my old Blue Book, TV Jones were added in 2004.

I would say the seller has some inaccurate information. The pickups may have been changed.

3. wildeman

wildeman I Bleed Orange

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Definitely not made in USA, a nice guitar if the price is right.

MKunie likes this.
  4. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    Thicker 5 ply top, and built like a tank.

MKunie likes this.
  5. YourBlueRoom

YourBlueRoom Gretschie

Jan 25, 2017
    Nashville, TN
    Def not made in USA. It's possible the pickups are TV Jones because a lot of folks installed TV Jones Classics in their Gretsch guitars since they became popular about 15 years ago. It's also possible they are the stock Gretsch Filtertrons and the seller is saying they are TV Jones because most of what he's reading online says that Setzer Signature guitars come stock with them (but before late 2003 they did not).

6. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    You can tell from the outside if it still has the original pickup by the shape of the pole screws, which should be dome top. They'll have ceramic magnets and be great for overdrive.

7. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Look at the bridge pup pole spacing. If it's wider than the neck, then it's a TV unit.

20191111_154105.jpg

This is a pic of a TV bridge pup. The poles line up with the strings.

Only exception in the TV line up will be the Ray Butts version. The bridge pole spacing is the same as the neck spacing.

Pic of TV RB's.

20191216_153846.jpg

YourBlueRoom likes this.
  8. YourBlueRoom

YourBlueRoom Gretschie

Jan 25, 2017
    Nashville, TN
    Actually the Filtertrons in the pre FMIC Setzer models had alnico magnets. All others were ceramic.

G5422T likes this.
  9. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    larryb likes this.
  10. jarrodtaylor

jarrodtaylor Gretschie

Mar 14, 2019
    Delray Beach, FL
    Of the ones I’ve played/owned, they can be great guitars. Tone post instead of trestle bracing, made in Japan (I don’t know of any US made), but the electronics tend to suck. If it’s TV Jones an owner probably replaced it. Great necks though.

11. slickfaster

slickfaster Country Gent

Dec 29, 2009
    USA
    Ask for a pic of the bottom of pup... TV’s are tagged as such.
    Doubt the build is USA....

12. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Here is Tavo's quote from the other day;)

My true love, the 99' SSU w Setzer Sigs, a pushpull defeat tone control and pushpull single coil mode... naturally :)That and a few electromagicals.

http://www.thenocturnebrain.com

Henry likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.