1976 G7593 broken trellis

Discussion in 'Vintage Gretsch Discussion' started by King Rocker, Sep 19, 2021.

1. King Rocker

King Rocker Electromatic

Feb 9, 2019
    Hello everyone
    I recently purchased a 76 White falcon on the cheap that needed some love. The G7593 that I have does not have truss bracing but has trellis bracing with a center block. I removed the broken strap button and repaired it, pinned the bridge, and gave it a thorough cleaning and setup. However, I have a 3-4 inch piece of the trellis that was bouncing around inside the body when I bought it. The piece came from the top behind the block. Just curious if this will become a structural issue in the future.

Attached Files:

j.s.c, Outlaw, JC higgy and 2 others like this.
  2. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I’m sorry I can’t answer your question, but we MUST see a photo of that guitar when it’s put back together!

Outlaw and King Rocker like this.
  3. King Rocker

King Rocker Electromatic

Feb 9, 2019
    I should have it all back in one piece in about a week. Just waiting for a few goodies I ordered for it. I will post some pics for sure.

thunder58 and calebaaron666 like this.
  4. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    What a great project, thanks for sharing. Can't wait to see the end result. I'm not sure but loose bracing in an arch top sounds like a potential problem,. given the significant force exerted by the strings on that thin top. If no one here has the answer, I'd check with Curt Wilson over on the Gretsch Discussion Pages. He's restored and repaired numerous vintage Gretsches.

King Rocker likes this.
  5. King Rocker

King Rocker Electromatic

Feb 9, 2019
    I know that unlike the trellis bracing

6. King Rocker

King Rocker Electromatic

Feb 9, 2019
    Well, if the back has to come off to save this bird of prey from extinction then that is what I will do. It was cheap so dropping some money in it to keep it going is in the budget.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
    bigjohnbates likes this.
  7. afire

afire Country Gent

I really don't know much about the "waffle" bracing from this era. But seeing that there appears to be a solid block under the bridge, where all the tension is focused, I'm guessing it would be okay missing a chunk of it. On the other hand, if it were mine, I'd sure want it reinstalled regardless, just on principle. And I'd probably want to run it by somebody who really had a firm answer too.

As for taking the back off, that chunk found a way out of the guitar without the back coming off. It seems like there should be a way to get it back home through the pickup holes.

King Rocker, Mark 6120 and LongJohn like this.
  8. bigjohnbates

bigjohnbates Gretschie

Jun 15, 2011
    Vancouver
    That is a big piece of wood, I wonder what the difference in sound is. I have never heard the greatest things about the Baldwin Gretsches, it might be worth it to try something different with it vs bringing it back to stock. Either way you decide it's a nice save, I love a good resurrection!

King Rocker likes this.
  9. King Rocker

King Rocker Electromatic

Feb 9, 2019
    It is headed to my luthier friend who feels that he should be able to reinstall and properly glue it in. Just a little tricky he said, but should be able to do it. Baldwin era Gretschs are completely overbuilt and that center block guarantees a solid top and back.

calebaaron666 likes this.
  10. King Rocker

King Rocker Electromatic

Feb 9, 2019
    The Baldwin Gretchen are tanks. I have had a couple in the past but this is my first Falcon. It is headed to the luthiers this week to have the piece reinstalled and a few other things. Love me a Baldwin era Falcon.

calebaaron666, Outlaw and Henry like this.
  11. Outlaw

Outlaw Country Gent

Jul 13, 2011
    UK
    Get that bird repaired and you have yourself a great guitar.
    CONGRATS!!

King Rocker likes this.
  12. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    Ohhohho, I presume there is also some moving mojo inside this box.

King Rocker likes this.
  13. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Country Gent

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Will be watching and waiting to hear how the repair goes. Should be a fine Falcon when the luthier is done.
    Congrats on the purchase.

King Rocker likes this.
  14. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Oh we love pics here . Our official unwritten rule here is " pics or it didn't happen " :p
    So now you must repair this beauty and show us :)

King Rocker likes this.
  15. King Rocker

King Rocker Electromatic

Feb 9, 2019
    Well she is all back together thanks to some genius work. Next time around she is getting a re feet.

calebaaron666 likes this.
  16. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Looks fantastic! Congratulations.
    Thanx for sharing some pictures.

I had my 1995 6120 completely refretted last year. I decided on medium stainless steel frets so it was an expensive job, but I’ll never need to worry about the frets again in my lifetime.
    I would love to get the same thing done to my White Falcon, but I don’t want to be without it for the amount of time it would take to do the work.

King Rocker likes this.
  17. Outlaw

Outlaw Country Gent

Jul 13, 2011
    UK
    Looks great but what's with the Bigsby, why not the original b6?

King Rocker likes this.
  18. King Rocker

King Rocker Electromatic

Feb 9, 2019
    I thought about the stainless ones as well but I think it will just be the standards for me when I get it done.

19. King Rocker

King Rocker Electromatic

Feb 9, 2019
    I just like the B12 better. Not really a function thing but more of a tip of the hat to Matthew Ashman.

Philtertronic likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.