Join Gretsch-Talk Today

1967 Gretsch Restoration

Discussion in 'Vintage Gretsch Discussion' started by MikeFla, Sep 26, 2016.

1. MikeFla

MikeFla Electromatic

Aug 26, 2010
    Florida
    Good Evening Gents, so as you can see it's been 4 months. I found a local gentleman who just happens to specialize in Gretsch restorations. I didn't believe him as that is such a random thing for most people running a business so I went over to his home (his shop) and he showed me some of the Gretsches he had finished and I was astonished.
    I left my beloved Gretsch with him that evening. I said, "Before I leave the guitar, I need to tell you the story behind it. Just so you know what this guitar actually is." I told him the story and he said he understood 100%. A couple weeks ago I got a call saying it's ready and I have to say, I'm 100% shocked. I asked him to refret it, and redo the binding. He did all that and so much more. He used 60 year old binding (NOS) which has to be laid by hand (can't be cut with a power tool or dremel) he replaced all the small accents that had cracks in them. with vintage pieces he found online, and refinished the guitar using NOS paint.
    I told him my budget and he gave me a $6,000 restoration. I was pissed because I thought I was on the hook and he said, "I just wanted to make sure that it would last another 50 years, and if I was just going to rebind it and refret it, I don't think it would have." and he didn't budge at all on the cost. So he had to have taken a loss on the project. Everything is so solid, this must feel exactly what it felt like in 1967. She sounds AMAZING, he replaced all the old wires with new wires, but didn't change any of the electronics on it (same caps, pups etc.)

That being said I thought I'd share some finished pictures!

IMG_0298.jpg IMG_0300.jpg IMG_0299.jpg

Random1643, JC higgy, benjwri and 3 others like this.
  2. dreamingGretsch

dreamingGretsch Gretschie

Oct 12, 2010
    Philippines
    $6000 restoration?? wow! but it all works well and it looks solid and new like what it was! congrats! im sure it will last more than 50 if you take care of it! enjoy your new old guitar!

3. Ricochet

Ricochet Gretschified

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Congratulations. Your guy did an amazing job, looks like it just rolled of assembly. :)

Please reveal the name of this local gentleman so we may reward him with more Gretsch projects.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. MikeFla

MikeFla Electromatic

Aug 26, 2010
    Florida
    Absolutely, I'll get his phone number from my phone in the morning. Whole resto cost me $800. And it was in pretty bad shape. But right now it's just 100% perfect!

Ricochet likes this.
  6. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Wow that looks fabulous.

7. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    What beautiful work! You found a gem of a restoration guy, congrats!

8. afire

afire Country Gent

Feb 12, 2009
    Wisconsin
    That would have been a crazy low price for just the refret and rebind. Buy a lottery ticket. You really lucked out finding this guy.

9. afire

afire Country Gent

Feb 12, 2009
    Wisconsin
    And BTW, I'm glad you went the restoration route rather than customization. It looks great.

10. Mal Belford

Mal Belford Gretschie

Apr 4, 2016
    Sweden
    Wow...

Determing the pictures.....this is cradtmanship at high level...i like it very much sir....

11. jagROAR_63

jagROAR_63 Gretschie

Apr 20, 2016
    Germany
    Yeah ! What a beautiful Rally :cool: cooles colour these came in.

Enjoy :)

12. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Wow, thats lovely.

13. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Turned out beautiful sir !

14. MikeFla

MikeFla Electromatic

Aug 26, 2010
    Florida
    Thanks guys! I'm incredibly happy with her. Right now I'm trying to find the right strap for her. I don't think anybody has spent so much time shopping for a guitar strap in their lives lol.

15. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Street Sounds in N.Y. Screenshot_2017-02-17-08-05-46-1.png
    Very '67ish

16. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Man, i cant believe thats the same guitar! I know you're stoked, i wouldn't put it down.

17. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Country Gent

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany