1966 Country Gent Supertron Pickup??

Discussion in 'Vintage Gretsch Discussion' started by gretschfan, Sep 15, 2021.

1. gretschfan

gretschfan Electromatic

Jul 24, 2011
    Ft lauderdale, Fl.
    Hey folks,

i just picked up a 1966 Chet Atkins Country Gentleman restoration project and am having some issues finding info on the supertron in the neck. The guitar needs binding replacement/repair and probably a neck reset all of which I can do. I am a luthier with experience, however am admittedly not a Gretsch expert. Looking over the supertron pickup, it looks to have different pickup cover compared to all of the 66 Country Gents with this pickup arrangement. However it seems that from 64-69 lots of variations exists. I can’t seem to find a concrete answer on this. If anyone can shed some light or help guide me on what I have besides a project, that would be great.

Attached Files:

Outlaw likes this.
  2. afire

afire Country Gent

Am I out of my mind or am I seeing the magnet sitting outside of the pickup, wedged between the SuperTron blades?

3. gretschfan

gretschfan Electromatic

Jul 24, 2011
    Ft lauderdale, Fl.
    It very well could be. Apparently the magnets on these and the filtertrons were not glued. They were sandwiched between the back of the bobbin and the baseplate.

4. gretschfan

gretschfan Electromatic

Jul 24, 2011
    Ft lauderdale, Fl.
    I received the guitar and further evaluated. That was definitely the magnet bar from the filtertron. Guitar needs a neck reset, neck binding, body binding repair and a strap button. Will also need some filtertron pole screws. Will be a fun project.

Electrosynthesis and Outlaw like this.
  5. afire

afire Country Gent

That's funny. I wonder if it slid out and just stuck to the nearest magnetic object, or slid out and somebody had no idea what to do and it just happened to fit there.

Anyway, glad to see a worthy guitar like this end up in the hands of somebody who knows what to do with it.

6. gretschfan

gretschfan Electromatic

Jul 24, 2011
    Ft lauderdale, Fl.
    That is exactly what happened. The magnet slid out of the Filtertron. The supertron has the same size magnet too. May be the exact same alnico 2 bar. And it just sits magnetically stuck to the baseplate with the coil on top. It fit perfectly wedged between the supertron pole blades because by design the blades wedge in the magnet between them and stick magnetically on the base trapped by the same blades. I didn’t understand this because I am used to the reissues which have the pickup covers soldered on so the magnet doesn’t come out.

As for the guitar, this one will need a binding replacement and a neck reset. I have already started the process. Luckily the guitar came with most of the hardware parts which is great. I just need strap buttons, a knob, a tuner bushings and a fee odd screws and such. I was really hoping that neck would just come off once unscrewed, but I am going to have to steam it off.

Attached Files:

7. afire

afire Country Gent

Just don't forget about us when it's done.

BTW, originals of pretty much everything you need can be found on eBay or Reverb, but often at grossly inflated prices. Feel free to ask around here if you hit any dead ends sourcing parts.

8. gretschfan

gretschfan Electromatic

Jul 24, 2011
    Ft lauderdale, Fl.
    Thanks for the advice. I am finding that the word “vintage” is a price multiplier much more so on Gretsch. Once I get through the reset and binding, i’ll put some feelers out there.

gfirob likes this.
  9. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Wow that looks like a great project, looking on for future updates.

gretschfan likes this.
  10. gretschfan

gretschfan Electromatic

Jul 24, 2011
    Ft lauderdale, Fl.
    I got most of the binding off. Currently shopping for a steam cleaner or a Goodwill Cappuccino machine with steamer I can repurpose for neck steam off duties..

Attached Files:

Zeek, Electrosynthesis and new6659 like this.
  11. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Country Gent

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    I thinks it's great you can do this restoration and bring the Gent back to life. Enjoy the project and keep us updated as you go.

ZackyDog and gretschfan like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.