1966 6119 Binding Repair

Torren61

Electromatic
Sep 28, 2009
Humboldt County, CA
I recently bought a '66 Tennessean and it has binding rot. Is there anyone that you know of that you would suggest for the job? What is a fair price for the work? Is it a job that requires the guitar to be resprayed?

I'll post pics when the guitar is delivered.

afire

Friend of Fred
Feb 12, 2009
Where the action is!
Is it a job that requires the guitar to be resprayed?
I don't think so, if done well. The binding itself will have to be sprayed, and a little touchup on the edges might be necessary, but not a complete overspray.
Unfortunately I don't have anybody to recommend. The go-to guy here who used to do it gave it up due to arthritis. Maybe somebody will come along with a referral. Fortunately a Tennessean has an unbound back, and only two plies on the top and one on the neck, so it shouldn't be too brutal. I would be expecting somewhere in the $600 neighborhood. If nobody chimes in, I'd just start searching the web for any shops that have examples of rebinding in their gallery of work.

Torren61

Electromatic
Sep 28, 2009
Humboldt County, CA
:pnk so, if done well. The binding itself will have to be sprayed, and a little touchup on the edges might be necessary, but not a complete overspray.
Unfortunately I don't have anybody to recommend. The go-to guy here who used to do it gave it up due to arthritis. Maybe somebody will come along with a referral. Fortunately a Tennessean has an unbound back, and only two plies on the top and one on the neck, so it shouldn't be too brutal. I would be expecting somewhere in the $600 neighborhood. If nobody chimes in, I'd just start searching the web for any shops that have examples of rebinding in their gallery of work.
Thanks for the reply. I'll have to shop luthiers in my area, which is BFE. :p

afire

Friend of Fred
Feb 12, 2009
Where the action is!
If you're in BFE, you might have to send it out. Plenty of guys will just turn it down, some will quote you a "don't hire me" price. And I wouldn't have anybody do it who hasn't done it enough to think it's not a big deal and charge accordingly.

stiv

Country Gent
Sep 12, 2014
Firenze, Italy
Binding in my Rally was in the same condition when I bought it.
I brought it to my guitar man as he told me there’s a “treatment” with some clear glue (I don’t know much details, unfortunately) to help stabilize it and not getting worse.
Two years later, I could say it worked as my Rally it’s exactly as it was then. No sing of any worsening anywhere.

wildeman

I Bleed Orange
May 10, 2015
norcal
Yeah, just play that one. It really starts sucking when I turns to dust and gets on your clothes, you have some time to look around for a luthier.