1964 but what model?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by juks, Jan 11, 2022.

1. juks

juks Country Gent

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
  2. Duo Slinger

Duo Slinger Synchromatic

Sep 11, 2020
    California, USA
  3. wildeman

wildeman I Bleed Orange

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Looks like a cool player, i wouldn't spend much more than $600.00 on it myself.

4. juks

juks Country Gent

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    I guess this is what it is. But of course the mods will drop the price considerably.

Screenshot_20220111-152256_Reverb.jpg

5. knavel

knavel Country Gent

Dec 26, 2009
    London, England
    I expect I'd like that sunburst anniversary better with P90s (so long as they are good ones) than the all original one. The only unknown is whether it started life as a double or single anniversary.

Agree that it needs to dip in price though, although there could be some parts money there if that tailpiece is old or if that tunomatic bridge is actually a Gibson one with the nylon saddles. Knobs are post late 60s unless gretsch has finally started producing those ugly aluminum things again. The Gibson knobs set up is pretty funny.

Philtertronic likes this.
  6. Duo Slinger

Duo Slinger Synchromatic

Sep 11, 2020
    California, USA
    Given the bridge position, I'd guess there is a higher likeliness of it being single, because the second pickup looks cramped in, but I could be wrong.

7. knavel

knavel Country Gent

Dec 26, 2009
    London, England
    I thought the cramped look was from the bridge being pushed up too high. It's definitely a close call. I cut a bridge pick up hole in my 1960 single Anniversary and it looks to be about the same place as the P90 in the OP one or the Hi Lo tron in the pic up the thread.

Duo Slinger likes this.
  8. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Start with a single Annie and deduct for pickups, bridge, tailpiece, controls, extra pickup routing as well as general condition. $1000 isn't completely outrageous but $600-800 would be okay with me, assuming straight neck, little binding rot, generally solid build still.

9. wildeman

wildeman I Bleed Orange

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Mudswitch hole, double anny.

10. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    There was a short-lived Anniversary model with Cat's eyes and 4 knobs. I saw once at Cream City but it was too expensive.

http://gretschpages.com/guitars/models/6117-cats-eye/

This unique blue one would be the purchase of a lifetime for me! (or a Custom Shop model.) Thin Line Annie, Cat's Eyes, Metallic blue (kind of Pelham Blue.) Phil X goes on about people who only collect blue guitars, "maybe they're sad."

But he does play Pipeline. The HiLos sound great at that.

(Fretted Americana appears to be out of business.)

11. wildeman

wildeman I Bleed Orange

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Yep, wouldn't be interested at all 1k, 800.00 better play great and inspiring, 600.00 take a gamble and figure i could turn it into what i want.....

12. Duo Slinger

Duo Slinger Synchromatic

Sep 11, 2020
    California, USA
    Ahhhhh I see

13. Duo Slinger

Duo Slinger Synchromatic

Sep 11, 2020
    California, USA
    The bridge is quite high. It's free floating, right? I wonder if the intonation is messy.

14. wildeman

wildeman I Bleed Orange

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I meant mud and pickup selector:oops:
    Singles have mud too.

Duo Slinger likes this.
  15. Highroller

Highroller Country Gent

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    On that specific one, I doubt it came with a tune-o-matic originally, more likely a Space Control or Melita. And you'd want to check the base for cracks or damage. But in general, floating bridges are pretty easy to deal with once you get used to them.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2022 at 10:41 PM
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.