1963 help

Discussion in 'New Member Intros' started by Mamaguay, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Mamaguay

Mamaguay Newbie

Feb 3, 2013
    Annapolis MD
    Hello:I joined to ask a question-
    My buddy is a guitar player (I'm not!)going to be 50, so I wanted to get him a '63 Gretsch. He's a tele guy but I figure George Harrison played a Gretsch and a 1963 is also 50 years old. I prefer something in great condition; I don't want to "steal" it but I also don't want to get ripped off (knowing little about guitars).

Any ideas? How much do I have to pay? Tennesseean or Country Gent? Where do I look? Thanks for any help offered. Mark

2. Wayne Gretschzky

Wayne Gretschzky Country Gent

Aug 27, 2008
    East Coast
    '63-'65 Tenny's and Gent's have the same specs through those years. You can get a very good condition Tenny in the neighborhood of $2k-3k, a Gent might be $2500-3200. These appear on Ebay regularly, as a ton of them were made. If you try and buy one from a vintage dealer or retailer you'll pay more.

3. MMike

MMike Gretschie

Nov 3, 2011
    Holland Mich
  4. Mamaguay

Mamaguay Newbie

Feb 3, 2013
    Annapolis MD
    Thanks for the quick response. Is it fair to assume that going through a vintage dealer (and paying more) increases the likelihood that the guitar will play "right", or will eBay get me to the same place.

5. MMike

MMike Gretschie

Nov 3, 2011
    Holland Mich
    IMHO...A reputable dealer will get you to the right place. Ebay might get you to the right place.

6. MMike

MMike Gretschie

Nov 3, 2011
    Holland Mich
  7. G-Whiz

G-Whiz Country Gent

Dec 30, 2011
    Virginia
    I'm sure if you look on eBay and post listings here, there will be a couple eagle eyes that can help you determine any problems the git might have and whether the auction would be worth it.

That just me though.

8. Wayne Gretschzky

Aug 27, 2008
    East Coast
    The link that MMike provided above (to Elderly Instruments) illustrates an issue you will encounter with both Ebay and Retailer/Dealer options... and that's ignorance to the idiosynchracies of vintage Gretsch guitars. Specifically, the Tennessean that Elderly is selling as a 1963 model year example, is in fact a 1966 model year example. I can tell by the oddball serial number (I study such minutia) but the features tell the same story... such as the headstock plaque which was not a feature in '63 (or '64-'65). These mis-attributions happen all the time.

As someone who isn't a Gretsch guitar guy yourself, that will be frustrating for you. So... (as mentioned) feel free to use this community to assist you. But you might want to post your vintage Gretsch questions in the vintage section of the site.

9. wilhite

wilhite Synchromatic

Feb 13, 2011
    Texas
    You're a really good friend Mamaguay...and you came to the right spot. Vintage Gretsch are confusing, Wayne always sorts 'em out.

10. Mamaguay

Mamaguay Newbie

Feb 3, 2013
    Annapolis MD
    That's exactly what I'm trying to avoid. The link shows what is probably a great '66, but I want a '63. I'd be willing to pay a "finder's fee" to someone like "The Great One" (I'm a huge hockey fan too; NY Rangers, though) or for corroboration by Wayne.

11. Wayne Gretschzky

Aug 27, 2008
    East Coast
    No charge required for fellow Blue-shirt fans! Feel free to drop me a note any time!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.