Join Gretsch-Talk Today

For Sale 1959 Gretsch Clipper $950, Shipped

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell or Trade Negotiations' started by Neal, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Neal

Neal Electromatic

Oct 12, 2013
    Virginia
    1959 Gretsch Clipper in completely original condition, including case.

This one has the rare white "soapbar" single-coil pickup used by Gretsch for a limited run in 1959 only. Pickup is strong.

Neck is a very comfortable 1 3/4" wide at the nut, for those with big hands/fingertips. Scale is 24.75".

Action is perfect, and the bridge has ample room for adjustment. There is no evidence that this guitar has ever had a neck reset, and in fact, there is a very slight back bow. Plays great with 12-53 jazz strings.

Volume and tone pots both work without noise/scratchiness, although the tone knob offers only subtle adjustment, for some reason.

The body is remarkably clean for a 57-year-old guitar, as is the original pick guard. The binding (usually an issue with vintage Gretschs) is aged, yellowed and spider-webbed with surface cracks, but is complete, not rotting, and not pulling away.

I have really enjoyed playing this guitar, but have recently come down with a bad case of early '50's Guild archtop disease...

Photos on Reverb.

https://reverb.com/item/3875404-gretsch-6186-clipper-1959-sunburst

$950, shipped, to forum members. PayPal only.

2. benjwri

benjwri Country Gent

Oct 27, 2011
    Ontario Canada
    Not in the market but that is a good looking item. Good luck!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  3. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Country Gent

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    I owned a similar Clipper and enjoyed it very much. If someone is in the market for a nice jazzbox: Consider buying a Clipper.
    The white soapbar sounds very nice on that model.

Good luck with the sale.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. LA Miles

LA Miles Synchromatic

Dec 6, 2012
    PA
    Good luck - wish I could help with that beauty

6. larryb

larryb Friend of Fred

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    There is my old one in the avatar. Really great and unique guitar. Best of luck with the sale!

7. Neal

Neal Electromatic

Oct 12, 2013
    Virginia
    Thanks for the kind words, folks!

Upon reflection at the end of 2016, I came to the realization that I had acquired too many guitars, and it was limiting my ability to concentrate on just a few to get really familiar and comfortable with as a singer-songwriter. So the law I laid down for myself was:

Keep a couple good acoustics, a couple good archtop electrics, a couple good resonators. Everything else has to go. I have already sold four guitars and an amp since New Years Day. This one will hurt more than the other four.

At this point, I am accepting offers, but will just keep the Clipper and enjoy it if I can't get close to what I paid for it ($1000, through Chicago Music Exchange).