1947 Gretsch banjo on GC

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by juks, Jun 16, 2021.

1. juks

juks Synchromatic

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    Wow, that's an old one!

Screenshot_20210616-091932.jpg

2. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Now there's something I always wanted to learn ( honest )

mrfixitmi likes this.
  3. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Somebody's getting a Father's Day gift.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
    thunder58 and mrfixitmi like this.
  4. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Cool. Wonder if @wildeman is interested?

5. wildeman

wildeman I Bleed Orange

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    It's really cool for sure, I'm pretty good on banjers right now though.
    That's actually an interesting banjo though because it has a top tensioning head, usually they have hooks and the tension nut is on the back.

mrfixitmi and Henry like this.
  6. bluenote23

bluenote23 Country Gent

Oct 17, 2009
    Montreal, Canada
    MOTS! Mother of Toilet Seat. Looks fancy but kind of a cheat. I have an old Gibson style 11 with MOTS. In the 30's, it was a budget banjo because they could hide the wood under the (kind of fragile and very flammable) cellulose.

Today, it just looks fancy!

7. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Country Gent

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    Love it, Gretsch Banjos were better than most give them credit. I have a 1925 Gretsch Orchestrella , a 1948 Gretsch Broadcaster?, and a 1940 Gretsch built Bacon Day Mother of Toilet Seat Senorita. They all have unique sounds and are very playable. IMG_0011.jpg

8. juks

juks Synchromatic

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    Those are so cool! I just love it when a wonderful instrument survives all the way from 1925. You can soon celebrate its 100th anniversary. That is mind blowing!

mrfixitmi likes this.
  9. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Country Gent

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    juks, very nice for you to mention, I appreciate it.

The 1925 Gretsch Orchestrella belonged to My Grandmother. She had 7 kids and played Banjo in a dance hall with her sister to help keep food on the table, playing Banjo payed more than when she was a concert pianist. I was told that the banjo was the Rock and Roll instrument of the day. The Orchestrella was lost when she died in 1956, I found it by accident on a web site for sale.
    It was in fairly rough shape, but I did some work on it to get it to play. The Bacon and Day toilet seat Senorita belonged to her younger sister when they played together. We found it stuffed in the rafters of her basement when she died in 2004. No one wanted it, but my son plays, and needed one for an upcoming musical, so I thought that we would work on it, honestly, it didn't need that much.

As with Gretsch guitars, they get a bad rap that they don't deserve. The people on this site are smart enough to know the best kept secret, Gretsch products are wonderful. Many of the usual people would think that they are ready for the trash bin, but Gretsch musicians know better.

10. juks

juks Synchromatic

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    Wonderful story, thanks for sharing.

11. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

I just learnt a new locution.
    Try to imagine being non native and checking a word to word translation to have a clue what it might mean...:confused:o_O

speedicut and mrfixitmi like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.