1929-30 Chrysler Building

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Bertotti, Sep 27, 2020.

1. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Colorized movie clip of the guys working on it. OSHA would have a fit!

2. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    Won't catch me up there!
    Not for All the white falcons in the world

3. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Good grief man, it makes me pucker and start to sweat and get nauseous just watching it!

There is literally a genetic thing that allows guys to be able to do this. They're missing some chemical or something as I understand.

Try this one:

"this is called free climbing...most tower workers climb this way...but OSHA rules allow for it"

How have I made it to my current age? Certainly not by climbing stuff like that!

section2, Shadowy_Man and Bertotti like this.
  4. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I thought about applying for a high tower job. But found a more grounded one first. I am not found of heights but if I can climb it I don’t mind as much. What is more disconcerting is the way it sways while climbing! They make really good money but travels lot as well.

section2, ZackyDog and stevo like this.
  5. sgarnett

sgarnett Gretschie

Apr 14, 2020
    Kentucky
    I have never been afraid of heights, but the older I get, the more respect I have for them ....

6. Wjensen

Wjensen Gretschie

May 25, 2019
    Raleigh, NC
    That's what I say about snakes!

section2 and sgarnett like this.
  7. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    Dang, my heart's gonna be in my throat for days after watching that.

ZackyDog likes this.
  8. OzzPocket

OzzPocket Gretschie

Aug 11, 2020
    NYS
    I don't even like having to get on my one story roof....

9. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Paralyzes me. Skydiving, no problem. Riding in a helicopter with doors open, no problem. But being up high on something that touches the ground? Can’t do it.

section2 likes this.
  10. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Country Gent

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    This is the kind of thing I’m glad someone else does so I don’t have to do it.

5120mantis likes this.
  11. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    The Chrysler Building had zero construction worker deaths :)

[​IMG]

12. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Quite a few North Eastern Native Americans are high iron guys. It apparently has something to do with proving their bravery. More power to them. I'm a USAF vet, I've worked in high places in theaters, but nothing like this. If it doesn't move, no problem. If it does, there's no way I'm getting near it. Now, retired, my feet are firmly planted on the ground.

Bertotti and sgarnett like this.
  13. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Country Gent

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    The first time I went to NYC, I was riding into town from the airport on a bus, sitting next to a large lady. As we got close to the city, I thought I caught a glimpse of the Chrysler Bldg. I asked the lady if that was what I thought it was, and she said, "Honey, I don’t know. I live in Brooklyn." When we got to Grand Central, she insisted on getting a cab for me because she said the hacks would cheat a tourist. She told the driver, "Don’t you cheat this boy, neither." I knew I was going to like New Yawk and be alright in the big city. :p

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2020
  14. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    nope .... not for me ..( either video )

Bertotti likes this.
  15. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    The height in the video didn’t bother me since I’m not there. It was sorta cool hearing regular American workers speak from a bygone era.

Bertotti likes this.
  16. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Not as many morons in the work place, more common sense and when people worked they worked. No earbuds headphone phones radios. You focused on your job and paid attention.

new6659 and ZackyDog like this.
  17. afire

afire Country Gent

I never was afraid of heights when I was younger, but I sure am now. My wife and I had no idea that fear of heights is something a lot of people develop with age. When we were in our mid thirties, we took our daughter up on a Ferris wheel and quickly discovered that we were both practically paralyzed.

new6659 and TV the Wired Turtle like this.
  18. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    1929. It was the height of the Great Depression. You got paid a pittance, but took the job anyhow, no matter how dangerous, because you had a family to feed. Don't like it? You could literally be replaced in minutes. No OSHA, no union, no problem---for the boss. When over 1/4 of the country is out of work, and jobs and money are hard to come by, employers can pretty much do anything that they want---and did.

new6659 and ZackyDog like this.
  19. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    If youre afraid of heights, stay off that galldamned Palm Springs Tram. It ascends almost 10,000 from the desert floor (the peak of Mount San Jacinto 10,834 feet elevation), on a cable while rotating 360 as you go. Everytime you pass a cable tower, the evil thing dips on the way up.. I fly all the time, no fear all great.. that Tram on the other hand had me and the gorilla on the floor clinging to eachother.
    You can see at the very top edge of this photo where the actual start is at the SAND!! Terrifying man, terrIfying. Ps. my wife and other son are like "When can we go again?" grrrr
    [​IMG]

too the top sir and can you make it spin around all the way? I just had mushroom soup
    [​IMG]

cant imagine how much worse it was back in the days of grandpappy and granny in the 1960s!

[​IMG]

the road ends at the first tower so for construction all materials were helicopters up the 2.5 mile ascent. 23,000 helicopter flights to finish it all.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

MrWookiee, section2 and new6659 like this.
  20. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Anyone remember this movie? It's called, Q : The Winged Serpent (1982). A flying prehistoric monster who made a nest in The Chrysler Building.

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.