1 Meg Master + Individual 500k Vol pots

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Andrew6128, Sep 15, 2020.

1. Andrew6128

Andrew6128 Electromatic

Oct 20, 2019
    Japan, Tokyo
    Has anybody done this to Dyna/DeArmond equipped guitars?

just bought a 2nd Dyna Jet and put T-Armonds that I had left over, and I find the bridge a little too middy even after screwing around with pole heights.

Will Just changing the master volume pot to 1 meg alleviate the issue and bring out more highs/cleaner sound?
    Don’t really want ice-pick...

thanks

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
  2. lathoto

lathoto Gretschie

Apr 23, 2020
    Ohio
    Andrew6128 likes this.
  3. Andrew6128

Andrew6128 Electromatic

Oct 20, 2019
    Japan, Tokyo
    Thanks, and I like that motto.

Since the mod in itself is simple enough I’ll be changing the Master and individual Volume pots with 1 megs, and add a 0.047f cap in the stock tone pot to see what happens.
    Will report back if there’s any good news lol.

4. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    If you don't want to affect neck pickup tone, I would have tried only 1Mohm on the individual bridge volume pot.

From my experience, a full 1Mohms on every pot is too much highs... with the "notable expection" of vintage tone pot wiring, the ones with the double stacked 250/500 tone pot.

One other solution, could be a no load tone pot... you will get extra juice on volume and trebles when you will shut it out of the circuit.

5. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    I fitted TArmonds to my Sparkle Jet, and they were definitely more middy than the Dynas. I went through a 1meg tone pot, 1 meg individual volumes, and finally the 1 meg master volume. It was the master volume that made all the difference, and balanced things up well. If I had to do it again, I'd do that one first by itself.

j.s.c and Andrew6128 like this.
  6. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france

Wow TArmonds must being load with a lot of mids 'cause the all 1M pots set is a lot of extra highs with std dyansonics...

7. Andrew6128

Andrew6128 Electromatic

Oct 20, 2019
    Japan, Tokyo
    I think it might have to do with the wax potting.
    And for the bridge it’s just voiced that way with 500K.
    I believe TV Jones recommends 1Meg for these depending on build.

I think I’ll try just changing the Master Volume and see what happens.

8. Byron

Byron Synchromatic

Sep 4, 2009
    uk
    I was never quite happy with my t armonds in a Jet Firebird. I have the Off Kiltertron in there now. All the messing with foam shims, adapters and pole heights is dumb.

9. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    Seems like a few folk have had issues with TArmonds, especially those in Filtertron cases. I think that they are voiced for mids, which may work well for people that like a lot of grind, at the loss of bright snappy chime.

10. Byron

Byron Synchromatic

Sep 4, 2009
    uk
    It's often down to amp settings. I did a gig with my Airline twin tone with gfs surf 90s, then swopped to the T armonds jet. It sounded like a blanket had been placed over the amp. I prefer the cheapo nasty GFS pups and a fraction of the cost

11. Andrew6128

Andrew6128 Electromatic

Oct 20, 2019
    Japan, Tokyo
    Just wanted to update this thread.
    Changing the Master Volume pot to
    1 megΩ DID change the tone for the better.

The pronounced mids in the bridge pickup have been balanced out with the extra highs coming out, and its now comparable to my Duncan Dyna bridge in another Jet I own in terms of clarity.
    The neck pickup clarity has also greatly improved as well.

I also feel that the pickup has higher output now, as it drives solid state amps
    like a JC120 into crunch on the bridge pickup by digging in very slightly.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.