“Always-on” pedals

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by calebaaron666, Sep 9, 2021.

1. mister rain

mister rain Gretschie

Apr 23, 2020
    new orleans
    i worked for a big box music retailer for a while around the turn of the century, and i can’t remember how many times i had to change the fuses on the mesas we had in stock. at least once a day. was it our power? sure, maybe - but none of the other manufacturers amps gave us any problems.

i will say that i had forgotten the mesa blue angel. that one did sound great to me - and nothing at all like any of the rest of their line up

2. KaHOnas

KaHOnas Electromatic

You're not wrong. I love my MkIV. I bought a Bogner LaGrange but soon realized I didn't really need it...not on the Mesa.

Waxhead likes this.
  3. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    @stevo
    Those Mesa amps you speak of are more than 20 years old...........

It continually amazes me that so many people talk of their vintage amps like it's an indication of anything other than ancient history. MB have made over 50 amps since the Lonestar.

Suggest you update to 2021 by taking a close look at the Express, Mark V, Rectoverb, Mini Rectifier, Transatlantic, Electro Dyne, JP2C, Triple Crown, California Tweed, Badlander and Fillmore series of amps. They all do edge of breakup fantastic.

Mark V and Transatlantic amps for example each do more than 30 different flavours of overdrive and distortion. My TA-15 does the Vox AC30 top boost overdrive, Fender Tweed overdrive, plus Marshall flavoured overdrive and distortion. Then add on a Boogie Mark overdrive channel.
    Mark V does an even wider range of edge of breakup and overdrive tones.

On modern MB amps the best way of getting edge of break up tones is to increase the gain dial on the clean channels, or dial down the gain on the dirt channels. On Mark V, the mids dial works for normal mids in the first half of its sweep and then converts to a gain boost specifically to deliver a wide range of edge of break up tones :D

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
    gtttrrr likes this.
  4. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Mesa has great breakup and overdrive tones. But I still used pedals with the amp. For one thing, I like to set and forget and not mess with dials. 2 or even3 channels, that is one clean and one breakup (and one higher gain).

That said, I got another amp that I prefer the feel and sound of. It might be the lack of master volume but it is what it is.

Waxhead likes this.
  5. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Don’t assume that I've not played any newer ones just because I mention an older one. I still respect and like them, but there really isn’t much new with MB, just different names. You’re overdoing it mate. And missing the point.

Ashley1983 and Tony65x55 like this.
  6. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    Sandy Eggo
    hmmm :)
    Is that why Pete Townsend of The Who used his Grampian reverb preamp into his mid 60s rig?
    Is that why Yngvie Malmsteen has always used a DOD 250 preamp in front of his marshalls?
    Is that why Dave Gilmour of Pink Floyd used a Alembic F2-B bass preamp into his hiwatts?
    Is that why Richie Blackmore of Deep Purple used an outboard reel to reel preamp into his amp?
    Is that why Stevie Ray Vaughn used the preamp of the Tubescreamer pedal into his dumble amp?
    Is that why Brian Setzer uses the preamp of the RE-301 space echo into his vintage Blonde Bassman amps?
    Is that why the Edge of U2 used the BOSS FA-1 FET into his Vox AC30?
    is that why Carlos Santana use a Pete Cornish LD-1 preamp into his Mesa Mark 1 and dumble?

Waxhead, Trash Kidd, pmac11 and 3 others like this.
  7. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Reverb. Just a bit.
    And the preamp portion of the Mystery Brain.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
    GlenP likes this.
  8. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    yeah fair enough Tavo but ......
    I was only speaking of "always on pedals" and those that allegedly improve the tone of an amp - like the "lifting the blanket" analogy. Plus I was only talking of myself - what these other guys do is their own decision.

I know you've made a few pedals that a lot of people like to have"always on" - great - those will be a great solution for people who need them - hope you sell millions of em :cool:

Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
    TV the Wired Turtle likes this.
  9. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Agreed re the F50. Stellar cleans, great raging overdrive, but nothing in between at the edge. I find my Wampler Paisley Drive corrects that shortcoming.

Waxhead likes this.
  10. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Yes - agreed. I never tried a Paisley with a Mesa, would love to hear how that sounds.

I would love to find an F30 these days in good shape.

11. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Yes Henry - and so do I.
    I use a Super Crunchbox overdrive pedal with my Mark V cos it clones the ACDC Marshall in a box flavour of overdrive that the Mark V can't do.

But that's just an optional for me cos I love the marshall overdrive tone and I'm an ex JCM800 owwner.

All I'm saying is that with our "modern" Mesa amps you don't "need" any overdrive pedals.
    I could easy use one of the Mark V's many overdrive flavours for ACDC - no punters would tell the difference - but I would :D

Henry likes this.
  12. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    yeah when I got my first Mesa almost 20 yrs ago I compared the F50 with Express 5:50.

One of the reasons I went for the Express was it had a big range of edge of breakup tones in 2 of its switchable voices - the clean and blues voices both have edge of breakup tones. It also cloned Lonestar Classic cleans, edge of breakup tones and reverb. Add on a 5 watt and 5ow power option and a series loop and it was the winner for me.

Every other amp Mesa has made since F50 have great edge of break up tones - more than 50 of em

pmac11 likes this.
  13. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Set up the Paisley just so, you'll get something that sounds like an F50 at the edge of breakup. It's a good sound.

Waxhead likes this.
  14. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    I second this “ :eek:

15. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    Sandy Eggo
    nooo. not about me and my dumb sh$t. Just rambling about how significant preamps have been by famous players through really good amps.

Waxhead and calebaaron666 like this.
  16. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Yeah, I have to agree that everyone who uses drive or preamp pedals aren’t all using the wrong amps. That’s nuts.
    Honestly, these pedals can sometimes make a so-so amp sound okay (Xotic EP Booster before a Peavey Valveking, I’m looking at you), but really, the right drive or preamp makes a great amp even greater!

TubeLife, Marv666 and mister rain like this.
  17. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    That's exactly it. No one is doing this to throw a blanket on anything and there is no amp that is immune to this. If the sound you are after occurs with amp x and pedal y, then that's what you want. Doesn't matter if it's a Marshall, Fender, Mesa, Vox, Supro, Hiwatt, Dumble, whatever. You're just making your awesome amp sing the tune you want it to sing.

emitex, calebaaron666 and TubeLife like this.
  18. Marv666

Marv666 Gretschie

Jul 26, 2020
    Germany
    I have a mesa Dual rectifier that i love on its own ....
    But it gets even better when the brain is engaged.

Henry, stevo and Trash Kidd like this.
  19. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Reading this I think I should elaborate on my always on pedals. There are pedals I mentioned as my always on but that is provided I am using them. There are pedals that if they are in the chain they are always on or close to it, it’s there for that flavor. I do play without those pedals and just amp or with just effects. I have amps that are one trick ponies or narrow o their capabilities that I consider good to great but if I want that flavor with another scoop of flavor on top there is a pedal for that. I also have amps that would never really need any pedal because if I take the time I can get really good and useable range of tones out of them but they are their own amp. Some of today’s amps are excellent at sounds like a lot of other amps. So like always it’s about flavors and amp abilities to start with use what works. I was just lucky to get a few good diverse amps and some different cabs to plug into.

Waxhead likes this.
  20. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    hey don't dump on your own gear Tavo hehehe - all the stuff you make looks great to me :D:cool:

TV the Wired Turtle likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.