Zombies review, 3/9/13

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Fredo, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Fredo

Fredo Synchromatic

Jan 18, 2010
    Georgia, USA
    I saw the Zombies play the Variety Playhouse in Atlanta on Saturday. I went mostly as a favor to a friend; I'm not a huge fan. What I got was a vocal tour de force. Lead singer Colin Blunstone has all the range he ever had and far more power than when he was a kid since he sings from his chest now. He smiled through the whole show. His movements were graceful and self-assured. He's an excellent singer and an excellent front man. Backing vocals came from Rod Argent, bassist Jim Rodford (who turned down the offer to be the band's first bassist and later went on to play with the Kinks for 20 years), and guitarist Tom Toomey, who was the only relatively young guy singing. The backing vocals were great. Colin sang great. Songs ran the gamut from very old to Breathe Out, Breathe In, which is their very good newish album with a little solo material thrown in too, e.g., Hold Your Head Up (Wo-man, not whoa) and a song Colin sang for the Alan Parsons Project.

Unlike some older vocal-oriented bands (like the Beach Boys) the Zombies don't need an army of hired singers to help them out. They had five people on stage with four of them singing and they sounded phenomenal.

2. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Love the Zombies. "She's not there" was so different from other stuff on airplay at the time of release. Great to hear that they're still playing and singing well!

3. fletch

fletch Country Gent

Oct 19, 2010
    Sydney Australia
    Glad to hear that they're still touring. Loved the band back when.

With what is being said about disappointing gigs from veteran performers, it's great to see that some of them can still produce the goods.
    Recently I had tickets to the Holies (not much of the original lineup left) but I couldn't make it, so I gave the tickets to my next door neighbour.
    He and his wife reckoned it was the best show they'd ever been to.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice