Zamboni Driver Saves the Game

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by drmilktruck, Feb 23, 2020.

1. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Literally. The Zamboni driver for the Toronto Maple Leafs' minor league affiliate was the emergency goalie for the Carolina Hurricanes in their game in Toronto, winning 6-3. Kind of like stepping in for Keith Richards mid show and nailing (almost) all the songs.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/28761372/zamboni-driver-42-stars-emergency-goalie-hurricanes

He was already living the dream of every Minnesotan, then it got better.

(Sadly, Gear Daddies deserved more fame than they got. Great stuff. Check 'em out if you haven't already.)

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
  2. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    I read that today, apparently he was available to both teams if needed.

new6659 and drmilktruck like this.
  3. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    I miss hockey, i cut the cable cord for Roku, but im not paying $50.oo a month for MSG network for just Ranger Games.

4. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    It was easy. Just park the Zamboni in front of the goal.

He's been offered honorary NC citizenship.

new6659, ishtar and drmilktruck like this.
  5. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Yes, every home team has to have an emergency goalie on standby for either team. Luckily few are needed, it happens every few years. Interestingly they have a high winning percentage, at least recently. The last 3 won their games!

ishtar likes this.
  6. DaddyDog

DaddyDog Country Gent

Sep 18, 2011
    Mississauga, Canada
    Leafs fans are in mutiny. Important to note the first two shots went in. Then the Canes proceeded to prevent the Leafs from getting a scoring chance for the entire third period... which included a power play!

db62, drmilktruck and ishtar like this.
  7. Kinda like Ken Dryden getting MVP in the Stanley Cup Playoffs the year before he got NHL Rookie of the Year... Okay, it isn't very similar aside from the goalie aspect... But that's all I got. I wanna drive the Zamboni very much...

new6659 and drmilktruck like this.
  8. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    A friend had a bumper sticker that read--"My other car is a Zamboni."

ishtar, drmilktruck and db62 like this.
  9. Skibbers

Skibbers Electromatic

Feb 21, 2020
    Minneapolis
    I’m a Gear Daddies fan for sure. It’s just weird that I’ve been listening to them steadily for two weeks, I join this forum, and then you post this.

drmilktruck likes this.
  10. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Welcome, fellow Minnesotan!

One of the comments below the video on You Tube laments that they're not known for all the rest of their music, which is true. OTOH, Martin Zellar has collected some good royalty checks thanks to that song.

11. I am sure I could not tend Goal in hockey. Let alone stand on ice with skates. But I am certain that jamming With the stones surpasses ice hockey temporary goalie. There are many hockey teams out there that this could happen to. Only one stones. Just saying.

drmilktruck likes this.
  12. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    You're not from around here, are you? :D

Robbie likes this.
  13. No. Sorry. I’m should be in that thread about a guy. From a band in New Jersey. But I’m in virginia. The state.

drmilktruck likes this.
  14. NTN66

NTN66 Electromatic

Jul 3, 2019
    IL
    My first job was driving a Zamboni. Multiple times, I had to clean the ice with my hockey equipment on, but not because I was filling in during an NHL game!:)

drmilktruck likes this.
  15. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Local news just ran a ten minute story on this. Probably picked up from the wire bit still cool. I never turn the news on but my mom had it on and it was on when I walked in.

drmilktruck likes this.
  16. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, Skibbers!
    welcome mat 113.jpg

17. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
  18. GoLeafsGo

GoLeafsGo Synchromatic

May 1, 2014
    Ajax Ontario
    That just seems to be how the Leafs season is going this year. They had such high expectations, but things just have not jelled, they are struggling to even make the playoffs. And then a 42 year old team employee who has never played a professional game beats them....but to be fair, it's not like he has never played before, he regularly is used as a goalie for Leaf and Marlie practices, and had a good amateur career.

19. afire

afire Country Gent

At 42, he was the second oldest at the time of his NHL debut. The oldest would be one Lester Patrick, also serving as emergency goalie, in 1928 at the age of 44.
    [​IMG]
    Although he did have a pro career when he was younger. Just not in the NHL.

5120mantis and drmilktruck like this.
  20. DaddyDog

DaddyDog Country Gent

Sep 18, 2011
    Mississauga, Canada
    I've heard it mentioned twice in the media, but not by the NHL itself... so take this with a grain of salt: in the interest of not being the laughing stock of the sports world, the league is reviewing their rules for the emergency goalie. Perhaps they should be younger, and have played a higher calibre. Easy in Canada, not so much in places like Los Angeles, Phoenix, or Tampa Bay. Junior and AHL goalies are busy playing and travelling with their own teams. But Canada has Senior Men's hockey, which is 20+ and full contact. It's a very fast, and rough game. Those goalies would make sense to have on hand.

drmilktruck likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice